Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2018 8:45:00 AM EDT
He is absolutely pro 2A and complained to me about how the NRA never gave him any pro 2A bills to sponsor in the California Assembly.  He’s leading the polls for both parties and the Dems are sending out hit piece mailers in order to knock him down because of his popularity.

We might have to move this to Team, but this guy is your best chance to keep Issa’s seat Republican and therefore have another pro 2A vote in Congress.  A vote for Gaspar or Harkey in the primary means a vote for a Dem.

Feel free to hit me up here or privately with any questions.

Rocky Chavez
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 10:28:59 AM EDT
[#1]
If I was in his district, I would vote for him. But sorry, I am in Nor Cal.

Good Luck to your dad.

Drew
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 11:53:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I was in his district, I would vote for him. But sorry, I am in Nor  SoCal.

Good Luck to your dad.

Drew Jeff
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 11:52:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Between the wife and I, we've received at least 10 negative mailers this week.  That means he's a threat.

He's got our vote.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 1:14:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got Swalwell, he looks like a robot that had a stroke
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 12:01:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Wasn't Rocky running for something else 1 to 2 years ago
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 12:26:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm not in his District.  But maybe i can find a way to vote for him.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 1:18:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
I could've sworn I'd heard of him for something in the last few years and pegged him as a moderate type Republican based on his platform.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 1:46:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Ha !!

I'm currently in Vista at my house in socal getting it ready to sell.

It's  right up the street from Issa's office, whom I've seen around from time to time over the last 6 years.

I did vote for Rocky Chavez before when he ran for assembly, and my Republican voter guide supports him, so no reason not to give him my vote again.

If he does win, I will demand the standard handshake pose photo op with me in his office.

_
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 6:15:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
He’s our state Assemblyman for the 76th district since 2012. (Camp Pendleton, Oceanside, Vista, Carlsbad, Encinitas)

Prior to that he was Schwarzenegger’s undersecretary for the state Dept of Veterans affairs.

Prior to that Oceanside city councilman and deputy mayor.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 9:56:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

He’s our state Assemblyman for the 76th district since 2012. (Camp Pendleton, Oceanside, Vista, Carlsbad, Encinitas)

Prior to that he was Schwarzenegger’s undersecretary for the state Dept of Veterans affairs.

View Quote
This.  He’s been staying off the Democratic Latino plantation since day one.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 2:22:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Hope the locals in the district elect him...
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 9:02:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hope the locals in the district elect him...
View Quote
They usually do, we will know more June 5th, the day of the primary.
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 12:37:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm, I must be thinking of a different Republican named Rocky that's run recently.

The leading opponent in this race sounds like a real piece of work.
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 6:13:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Hmmm, I must be thinking of a different Republican named Rocky that's run recently.

View Quote
Applegate is the leading Dem. He talks a lot of shit about being a Marine officer, but he was just a reservist JAG officer whereas Rocky was active duty artillery.  Also, Applegate is a nutball, anti GMO food guy, his ex wife took out a restraining order on him a while ago (got his guns taken away), and of course, a liberal Dem.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 2:03:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Applegate is the leading Dem. He talks a lot of shit about being a Marine officer, but he was just a reservist JAG officer whereas Rocky was active duty artillery.  Also, Applegate is a nutball, anti GMO food guy, his ex wife took out a restraining order on him a while ago (got his guns taken away), and of course, a liberal Dem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He sure loves to use "Colonel" on all his election advertisements. (Applegate)

I saw an add he was spouting off about "leading men in combat".  Fucking military lawyer.

Fuck that douche.

Let's Go ROCKY!!!
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 9:59:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Applegate is extreme left wing, hiding it to appeal to the military in the area.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 12:14:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Heard one of the anti Rocky ads from the Dems today.  The ones where they warn us about taxes and stuff.  Oddly enough, they aren't selling any ads telling us about Dems voting for tax increases.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 12:45:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Heard one of the anti Rocky ads from the Dems today.  The ones where they warn us about taxes and stuff.  Oddly enough, they aren't selling any ads telling us about Dems voting for tax increases.
View Quote
Just wait for the general election. They're going to go all out. They did against Issa in the last election.  Applegate got all kinds of outside $$$.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 4:46:28 PM EDT
[#19]
So, my father in law was the front runner in his congressional race for both parties.  The county republicans didn’t endorse him because he makes deals to get legislation done, instead of screeching NO and not getting shit done.  The local Republican Party endorsed a female (Diane Harkey) whom has some shady history.  Cool, he was still beating her until the Dem party sank 2 MILLION into the race, chiefly to play the Republican female up as more conservative than my FIL. Yeah, the Dems were sending out fliers portraying my FIL as not conservative enough. Why? Because he is their biggest threat.  Guess what, it worked and he’s probably out of the race.  Fuck humanity, goddamned idiots.  Net result? The female Republican will almost certainly lose in November and we will all lose a Congressional seat that has been Republican for at least 18 years.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 7:06:49 PM EDT
[#20]
So, my father in law was the front runner in his congressional race for both parties. The county republicans didn’t endorse him because he makes deals to get legislation done, instead of screeching NO and not getting shit done.
View Quote
Please elaborate.  Most of the deal-making Republicans have given away things they should not have given away, IME.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 7:58:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Please elaborate.  Most of the deal-making Republicans have given away things they should not have given away, IME.
View Quote
You can find it online, but the bottom line is that we are going to lose a seat most likely.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 12:07:40 AM EDT
[#22]
FNP.  And the Republican party did itself no favors by not stepping up and endorsing one candidate for governor.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 11:08:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 6:42:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So, my father in law was the front runner in his congressional race for both parties.  The county republicans didn't endorse him because he makes deals to get legislation done, instead of screeching NO and not getting shit done.  The local Republican Party endorsed a female (Diane Harkey) whom has some shady history.  Cool, he was still beating her until the Dem party sank 2 MILLION into the race, chiefly to play the Republican female up as more conservative than my FIL. Yeah, the Dems were sending out fliers portraying my FIL as not conservative enough. Why? Because he is their biggest threat.  Guess what, it worked and he's probably out of the race.  Fuck humanity, goddamned idiots.  Net result? The female Republican will almost certainly lose in November and we will all lose a Congressional seat that has been Republican for at least 18 years.
View Quote
What's more disappointing/ frustrating/ sad/ whatever:

The D's dumping money into the anti propaganda machine or the R's backing a weak horse? Sucks man. Looks like the R's are doing that with the governor as well. Bigstick and others may correct me if I'm wrong here but sounds like Trump is backing Cox, not Allen. Great job splitting the R vote for the primary ...
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 7:27:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What's more disappointing/ frustrating/ sad/ whatever:

The D's dumping money into the anti propaganda machine or the R's backing a weak horse? Sucks man. Looks like the R's are doing that with the governor as well. Bigstick and others may correct me if I'm wrong here but sounds like Trump is backing Cox, not Allen. Great job splitting the R vote for the primary ...
View Quote
The Republicans for some odd reason chose not to hold a convention until after printing of ballots began, which was stupid to begin with.  Cox tried to buy his way to the nomination at the convention, but still managed to fall short of the threshold, which means no candidate was nominated.  Given how hard Cox has tried to repeatedly get into office in Chicago and now here, as a Democrat for a long time and recently as a Republican, and given his wealth, there was no way he was going to back down and drop out, and his name would still be on the ballot.

A lot of Cox's endorsements came after donating to organizations, campaigns, etc., usually in the six figures where legal.  Among the politicians he's financially supporting is Kevin McCarthy.  He provided funds to help reelect McCarthy and McCarthy promptly went to speak to Trump about endorsing Cox, which Trump did,, likely without knowing anything about the race other than what McCarthy told him (I hear they have a good working relationship).  Cox refused to vote for Trump (not that I'd hold that against him were he to have done it for the right reasons, which does not appear to be the case, but many think he is pro-Trump and would do so).

Most of the grassroots support I see, as well as the enthusiasm, is for Travis Allen.  There are virtually no Cox signs in my area.  Almost all ar Allen signs, and they are plastered everywhere, mostly on private property, posted by the owners or tenants.  Most Republicans I talk to say they are voting for Allen.  More of the people I talk to who like Allen are enthusiastic, while those who are supporting Cox tend to be much less so, with some saying they prefer Allen but find voting for Cox to be more pragmatic.  Online on social media, Allen's support massively outweighs that of Cox.

The polls, on the other hand, show Cox in the lead over Allen, although in quite a few he's within the margin of error, meaning that it is a statistical tie (usually Villaraigosa is also statistically tied in these polls).  Some do show a commanding lead by Cox, or Allen way behind Cox and Villaraigosa.  A lot of Cox's support is in more urban counties, especially in SoCal, where the typical Republican is less conservative, while Allen tends to do better in more strongly conservative areas, but the former have more voters.

Cox is favoured, but not a guarantee.  Allen is likely behind, but his defeat, IMO, is not a guarantee.  The vote split does mean that Villaraigosa has a chance as well, and could make second place.  I wouldn't risk any of my money betting for any of those three.  Cox did see a bump due to Trump's endorsement, and he's squeezing every last drop out of it.

Interestingly, given the perception that Cox is ahead right now for second place, Newsom's campaign is attacking Allen and supporting Cox in ads, while Villaraigosa is attacking Cox and supporting Allen, with Newsom wanting to ensure a Republican wins and Villaraigosa trying to ensure that he wins the second place slot.

The whole thing is a mess and the ads are esepecially deceptive and dirty this year in many races.  Still, I'm voting for Allen.  Well, I already voted for Allen (and wouldn't change that if I could).
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 11:01:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The Republicans for some odd reason chose not to hold a convention until after printing of ballots began, which was stupid to begin with.  Cox tried to buy his way to the nomination at the convention, but still managed to fall short of the threshold, which means no candidate was nominated.  Given how hard Cox has tried to repeatedly get into office in Chicago and now here, as a Democrat for a long time and recently as a Republican, and given his wealth, there was no way he was going to back down and drop out, and his name would still be on the ballot.  

A lot of Cox's endorsements came after donating to organizations, campaigns, etc., usually in the six figures where legal.  Among the politicians he's financially supporting is Kevin McCarthy.  He provided funds to help reelect McCarthy and McCarthy promptly went to speak to Trump about endorsing Cox, which Trump did,, likely without knowing anything about the race other than what McCarthy told him (I hear they have a good working relationship).  Cox refused to vote for Trump (not that I'd hold that against him were he to have done it for the right reasons, which does not appear to be the case, but many think he is pro-Trump and would do so).  

Most of the grassroots support I see, as well as the enthusiasm, is for Travis Allen.  There are virtually no Cox signs in my area.  Almost all ar Allen signs, and they are plastered everywhere, mostly on private property, posted by the owners or tenants.  Most Republicans I talk to say they are voting for Allen.  More of the people I talk to who like Allen are enthusiastic, while those who are supporting Cox tend to be much less so, with some saying they prefer Allen but find voting for Cox to be more pragmatic.  Online on social media, Allen's support massively outweighs that of Cox.  

The polls, on the other hand, show Cox in the lead over Allen, although in quite a few he's within the margin of error, meaning that it is a statistical tie (usually Villaraigosa is also statistically tied in these polls).  Some do show a commanding lead by Cox, or Allen way behind Cox and Villaraigosa.  A lot of Cox's support is in more urban counties, especially in SoCal, where the typical Republican is less conservative, while Allen tends to do better in more strongly conservative areas, but the former have more voters.

Cox is favoured, but not a guarantee.  Allen is likely behind, but his defeat, IMO, is not a guarantee.  The vote split does mean that Villaraigosa has a chance as well, and could make second place.  I wouldn't risk any of my money betting for any of those three.  Cox did see a bump due to Trump's endorsement, and he's squeezing every last drop out of it.

Interestingly, given the perception that Cox is ahead right now for second place, Newsom's campaign is attacking Allen and supporting Cox in ads, while Villaraigosa is attacking Cox and supporting Allen, with Newsom wanting to ensure a Republican wins and Villaraigosa trying to ensure that he wins the second place slot.

The whole thing is a mess and the ads are esepecially deceptive and dirty this year in many races.  Still, I'm voting for Allen.  Well, I already voted for Allen (and wouldn't change that if I could).
View Quote

Allen has the support and vote from everyone that I have spoken to, which isn't necessarily a very large crowd. Agreed regarding the signs and such. Allen signs around but no Cox, Newsom or Villarealagosa that I can recall.

It's a damn shame that endorsements are bought and sold so easily though. Pathetic even. Just shows how support for further oppression laws is achieved. Crooked, cheating, lying, unethical - damn near the whole lot of them...
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 11:03:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 12:21:37 AM EDT
[#28]
A San Diego newspaper is making voting recommendations? Why does this seem odd to me? Probably shouldn't surprise me.

Also, quite the mix with FDF & Villagriagosa + Chavez...
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 1:57:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
A San Diego newspaper is making voting recommendations? Why does this seem odd to me? Probably shouldn't surprise me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Most of the time when I see something like that it ends up saying more about the guy who doesn't seem to fit than the rest of them.  Usually, IME. it means that the guy who seems like he doesn't belong actually does.  Occasionally it's just an odd endorsement.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 2:47:45 AM EDT
[#30]
I'd expect all papers to offer some recommendations.  And they didn't recommend Becerra, De Leon or Newsom.  And another oddity, in our voter info pamphlet/sample ballot from the county (SBDO), the American Independent Party had more recommendations for Republicans than the Republicans did.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 10:31:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Here is to hoping for "Rocky " in that district!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top