Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2018 2:32:55 PM EDT
Has anyone taken a tour of the fleet in Suisun Bay? Is it worth it? Are they still offered?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 4:04:16 PM EDT
[#1]
There are hardly any ships left. Either junked or brought back into service(?)
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 10:04:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Mostly scrapped if possible.  Most of the men of war have been sunk as targets.  Too much asbestos and obsolete systems, plus many are/were too big for most other nations to operate.

You can see more on a tour of most of the preserved historic ships on display in various cities.  I visited when I as at a course at Military Sealift Command Pacific in Oakland many years ago.  It's kind of interesting from a technical point of view.  What systems are cocooned, which are covered in grease, some have very low voltage anodes or cathodes attached to prevent corrosion, air tubes cabling running through doors and hatches, etc.  But metal square cubes from the inside look pretty much like any other metal square cube.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 3:43:29 AM EDT
[#3]
My Uncle who was a career naval officer use to take me to old military installations in the Bay Area that were decommissioned. It was pretty cool, my grandpa served in the Presidio during WW2.

I don't know where you are but there's some cool stuff here. The Bay Area played a pretty large part during WW2, the USS Hornet is in Alameda. It's okay, pretty much like every other carrier.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 3:34:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My Uncle who was a career naval officer use to take me to old military installations in the Bay Area that were decommissioned. It was pretty cool, my grandpa served in the Presidio during WW2.

I don't know where you are but there's some cool stuff here. The Bay Area played a pretty large part during WW2, the USS Hornet is in Alameda. It's okay, pretty much like every other carrier.
View Quote
I went to a kid's soccer tournament in Alameda a few years ago. I saw the USS Hornet but did not have the time to take the tour. Alameda Island is a trip. The soccer fields were in the middle of a fenced off and abandoned courtyard. It was cool and weird to be there.

Getting off of the freeway to head under the estuary to get to the island was a homeless encampment.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 10:00:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd hit the Hornet, the USS San Francisco Memorial (especially moving in sloppy weather), the ships at the Maritime Museum down by Fisherman's Wharf, and then the Presidio.  Fort Point, the batteries around the Golden Gate Bridge Plaza and down toward Baker Beach.  The Golden Gate NRA on the north side has several coast defense batteries and a Nike Missile base.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 4:16:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Bay Area has a huge amount of coast defence fortifications from the Third System to the WWII-era. They still have a working disappearing gun emplaced in one of the batteries in SF.  Some people don't even realize they're standing on some of them when they are viewing the Golden Gate bridge.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 1:45:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I went to a kid's soccer tournament in Alameda a few years ago. I saw the USS Hornet but did not have the time to take the tour. Alameda Island is a trip. The soccer fields were in the middle of a fenced off and abandoned courtyard. It was cool and weird to be there.

Getting off of the freeway to head under the estuary to get to the island was a homeless encampment.
View Quote
Was it at a school?
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 4:19:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Was it at a school?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was it at a school?
No, it was on the base. We drove past the mounted jet. The fields were in a courtyard that looked like a former barracks. You could see the runway through the fence and buildings with SF in the distance.

It was all fenced off.

I took a bunch of pics.

eta: Lexington St. between W Red Line and W Midway.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 4:27:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'd hit the Hornet, the USS San Francisco Memorial (especially moving in sloppy weather), the ships at the Maritime Museum down by Fisherman's Wharf, and then the Presidio.  Fort Point, the batteries around the Golden Gate Bridge Plaza and down toward Baker Beach.  The Golden Gate NRA on the north side has several coast defense batteries and a Nike Missile base.
View Quote
I used to train on the bicycle in the Headlands.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 9:05:24 PM EDT
[#10]

That's all thats out there as of yesterday.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 9:47:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/152169/IMG_8408-544111.jpg

That's all thats out there as of yesterday.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 9:48:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow, that's a tiny fraction of what was there last time I saw it.  A lot of the merchantmen and auxiliaries, though, were beyond repair due to severe corrosion.  When I lived out there they were talking about how to get them out of there for scrapping without them breaking apart, sinking, etc.  Back then there were a few Leahy and Belknap class cruisers there, the battleship Iowa, at least a couple of Iwo Jima class LPHs, and some other amphibious warships.  Not sure about any other combatants.  The rest were all auxiliaries and merchantmen.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 2:54:08 AM EDT
[#13]
I grew up in the Bay Area and remember riding the PBRs at Mare Island during Armed Forces Day as a kid. Those were the days...

You can now drive around Mare Island and tour this boat:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_LCS(L)(3)-102

The Mare Island Brewery across from Mare Island is always nice, too.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 12:50:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Wow, that's a tiny fraction of what was there last time I saw it.  A lot of the merchantmen and auxiliaries, though, were beyond repair due to severe corrosion.  When I lived out there they were talking about how to get them out of there for scrapping without them breaking apart, sinking, etc.  Back then there were a few Leahy and Belknap class cruisers there, the battleship Iowa, at least a couple of Iwo Jima class LPHs, and some other amphibious warships.  Not sure about any other combatants.  The rest were all auxiliaries and merchantmen.
View Quote
I'm pretty sure all the Leahys and Belknaps were target ships for sink-ex's.

Here's the Horne (CG-30) for the last time.  My ship.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/MilkyHeartfeltBoto-max-1mb.gif
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top