Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2018 10:13:14 PM EDT
Wife is in negotiations for employment in CA, and there's a chance to leaving FL for Fresno.

Can I take my evil SBRs, SBS and silencers with me? How hard is it to get CCWs? Can I carry a normal 15 round mag with my Glock 19? Shit, my Glock 19 has a threaded barrel... is that even legal?

Sorry for the noob CA questions. While moving there somewhat excites me as offroading is killer out that way compared to FL, I just don't know what to do with my guns. Most of my stuff us older, haven't really bought any ARs and such in the last 4-5 years.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 11:01:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Wife is in negotiations for employment in CA, and there's a chance to leaving FL for Fresno.

Can I take my evil SBRs, SBS and silencers with me? How hard is it to get CCWs? Can I carry a normal 15 round mag with my Glock 19? Shit, my Glock 19 has a threaded barrel... is that even legal?

Sorry for the noob CA questions. While moving there somewhat excites me as offroading is killer out that way compared to FL, I just don't know what to do with my guns. Most of my stuff us older, haven't really bought any ARs and such in the last 4-5 years.
View Quote
Pretty sure any of the SBRs, SBSs and silencers are out of the question, silencers in particular are specifically banned, IIRC, and not sure if having a Fed license will help on the others.  No threaded barrels on pistols and no import of greater than 10 round magazines.  CCW is highly dependent on your county.  Some counties are easy, some are essentially impossible.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 1:07:07 AM EDT
[#2]
NFA stuff usually requires a Dangerous Weapons Permit specific to the class of weapons (as well as for some stuff not regulated by the NFA).  They are extremely hard to get.  The only people I know of who have them are SOTs and a few old guys who owned NFA items before the permits were required, as well as .50 BMG rifles with respect to that class of permit; tghey seem to have been grandfathered.  There ws onee really rich guy with a big NFA collection who died a few years ago who managed to get permits.  The average person stands virtually no chance of getting one.

SBRs and SBSs that are C&R (defined in CA as being at least 50 years old) require no permit.  DDs under .60-calibre also require no permit.  Short-barreled weapons must not be under 30-inches in terms of OAL (measured with stock folded or fully collapsed/retracted if applicable; formerly with muzzle device installed, but new regs, which are being challenged, now say to measure without it unless permanently attached) if they are semi-auto, or they are assault weapons.  There is an AW permit, but you stand no more chance of getting one than the DW permit.  Very few semi-auto SBRs are long enough (among the few is the Volkssturmgewehr).  Short-barreled weapons and I believe also AOWs are considered "concealable weapons" and treated like handguns when it comes to things like carry laws.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 2:00:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Can I take my evil SBRs, SBS and silencers with me?

No

How hard is it to get CCWs?

I don't know about the Fresno area.  Some places are impossible (LA, Frisco) others are easy.

Can I carry a normal 15 round mag with my Glock 19?

No, also you may NOT even bring them into the State.  That would be a felony.  10 rounds MAXIMUM.

Shit, my Glock 19 has a threaded barrel... is that even legal?

No, that would make it an assault weapon, another felony.  <-- bad juju!

Replacement barrels are cheap.  10 round magazines are cheap.  Felony arrests are ridiculously expensive.

Sorry for the noob CA questions. While moving there somewhat excites me as offroading is killer out that way compared to FL, I just don't know what to do with my guns.

The off-roading is AWESOME!  The shooting sports are very active out here and you will love the Clubs.  For instance, check out the Coalinga Club which is not too far from Fresno (but others are closer).
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 3:00:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How hard is it to get CCWs?
View Quote

As others side, that depends HEAVILY on the county.  It ranges from virtually impossible (San Francisco, Santa Cruz) to just a few hours of training class and a minor fee (rural counties in the mountains).  If you do some google'ing, and read the CCW section of calguns.net, you will find maps that show which county is CCW-friendly and which one isn't.  You could also just google for "Fresno county CCW" and read up on it.

If Fresno itself is bad for CCW, you might want to trade a longer commute for a CCW-friendly residential address (depending on how far from the county line you live).  A CCW permit issues by any county in California is valid in the whole state.

You also need to learn about the handgun roster.  Very few models of handguns can be sold new from stock by dealers (the reasons are complicated).  That means there is a huge demand and very little supply for off-roster models, for example Gen4 and Gen5 Glocks, and so on.  But new residents who move into the state can bring their existing guns into the state, even if they are not on the roster.  You might want to stock up on handguns before moving here, because many interesting models you won't be able to buy after getting here.  If you buy too many, and decide that there are some that you didn't like, you can always sell, and given the insane markup here, you can make a pretty penny.

Now, to be 100% clear: I'm not suggesting that you deal guns without a license, and even much less that you take orders ahead of time (that WILL get you in trouble with the law).  But stocking up beforehand is a good idea.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 10:47:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I live in Merced.  Fresno CCW should be no problem.  Big no to all the NFA stuff.  Look up Central Cal Pistol League.  Lots of USPSA matches around.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 11:29:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks like Fresno is issuing CCWs
https://www.fresnosheriff.org/community/questions/enforcement-faqs/concealed-weapons-faqs/how-do-i-obtain-a-concealed-weapon-permit-in-fresno-county.html

It seems like the only group permitted with Class 3 is the movie industry
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 11:36:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Frenso? That's about the worst place to move to in CA.....
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 11:51:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Frenso? That's about the worst place to move to in CA.....
View Quote
For real? Why?
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 12:30:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
For real? Why?
View Quote
You're joking right? OK, maybe not the worst place according to forbes
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 3:19:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
For real? Why?
View Quote
Heat and Crime.  It gets stupid hot in Fresno.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 3:45:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Fresno doesn't have a great reputation in California as a whole, though like any place there are good areas and bad areas.

As everyone else stated, RIP on your fun items in this state.  If you can, I'd find a way to store them with family outside the state.

Fresno is only 2 hours from the coast and about 90 minutes from Shaver Lake/China Peak.  Good off-roading/skiing and other fun outdoor-sy stuff.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 8:24:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Fresno native here, 40 years worth, gone the last 20 though. Friends and family still there.

HOT and dry. Some of the best fruits and vegetables in the world. Lots of rivers and lakes available. When there isn’t a drought. Fishing, boating, camping ( From desert to high elevations). An active art scene, comedy clubs, sports, music and movies.

Shooting areas are available, public and private. CCW permits are fairly easy to obtain, I’m told. I had 1 when I left in ‘98 but I knew the Sheriff via my work for the Fair board. They weren’t so easy back then.

You want to consider living in Clovis and Kerman. Kerman used to be far but with the improvements to the freeway system not so much anymore.

Crime is definitely an issue. MS-13, The Bulldogs and I don’t know what all else anymore. Definitely check the crime statistics though.

Last year I decided to move to N Carolina, could have easily gone back “home” but decided against it. That should tell you something.

Gun laws suck!
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 10:08:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Not quite sure where it flips but Fresno, from a radio sports standpoint, seems to be a San Francisco (or Bay area) market.  As opposed to an L.A. based broadcast.  Giants instead of Dodgers, etc.  Not too many decades from now, you'd have access to high speed rail to a number of cities near state prisons.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 10:15:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not too many decades from now, you'd have access to high speed rail to a number of cities near state prisons.
View Quote
LOL!

Now I understand.

You, to the right.  You two, to the left.  You over there,...
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 12:42:10 AM EDT
[#15]
If your are pigeon holed to Fresno look at the Clovis area. That area is very nice. Well off school districts area is kept up very nicely and it's a fairly active community. Also you will be closer
To shaver lake for boating and China peak for snow boarding. Try to stay away from the college crime is out of control.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 9:46:01 PM EDT
[#16]
lol i moved to fl from ca

ca is a filthy place
sad
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 10:42:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
lol i moved to fl from ca

ca is a filthy place
sad
View Quote
Sad, yes, but "filthy", how so?
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 10:26:49 AM EDT
[#18]
I grew up in the central valley, I can't stand going back to CA now. Everything is brown and dusty 10 months a year, it's stupid hot, crime everywhere, worst traffic you can imagine.  People who have lived there their entire lives don't realize how bad it is but looking at it from the outside makes me realize that I'll never live there again.

They do have the minor league team for the Giants which is a fun place to go and there are some nicer areas of Fresno but the area as a whole, in my opinion, isn't worth moving into.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 4:24:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Move is off the table. Wife turned the job offer down, we're staying in Florida.

Thanks for all the input guys!
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 7:30:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Move is off the table. Wife turned the job offer down, we're staying in Florida.

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 12:34:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well, that's too bad.  We could use more supporters of the Second Amendment out here.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 7:32:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ZsFo_thGv5M/Uc0EghCht5I/AAAAAAAAHy0/TO6rqFWUVBw/s600/IBM-Bionic-Body-Armor-Dodges-Bullets-2.jpg
lol
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 8:09:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Good.  When I was in California, I had the $$$ to buy a M-2 50 cal ($2,500) and a Thompson ($1k).  Couldn't buy either because CA says no to peons.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 10:12:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Good.  When I was in California, I had the $$$ to buy a M-2 50 cal ($2,500) and a Thompson ($1k).  Couldn't buy either because CA says no to peons.
View Quote
That's frustrating...
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:28:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Looks like Fresno is issuing CCWs
https://www.fresnosheriff.org/community/questions/enforcement-faqs/concealed-weapons-faqs/how-do-i-obtain-a-concealed-weapon-permit-in-fresno-county.html

It seems like the only group permitted with Class 3 is the movie industry
View Quote
And Nancy Pelosi's bodyguard. He carries a fully automatic SBR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top