Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2018 5:48:11 PM EDT
Hey all, I don’t see a sticky on this, but from what I see, if someone were to move to CA now with an AR, you basically now need to permanently pin a 10 rd magazine to skip registration (no >10s allowed at all?) and reload ammo instead of mail order due to THAT new law, correct?  What else big am I missing???

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 6:07:23 PM EDT
[#1]
You can go featureless with an AR, and still have detachable mags.

Featureless means fixed stock, no pistol grip and no flash hider. To get around the no pistol grip part, you can buy a "fin" that attaches over the pistol grip so you can't wrap your thumb around it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 8:15:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can go featureless with an AR, and still have detachable mags.

Featureless means fixed stock, no pistol grip and no flash hider. To get around the no pistol grip part, you can buy a "fin" that attaches over the pistol grip so you can't wrap your thumb around it.
View Quote
Does it need to be registered then?
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 10:26:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Featureless rifles do not require registration as assault weapons.  However as a new resident you will be required to register your guns within 60 days of moving.
Your featureless rifle will then be registered as a long gun.  lol fuck this dump, run away if at all possible.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 12:31:28 AM EDT
[#4]
"Easiest" is kind of a push.  I guess it depends on which "features" you like or don't and what trades you might need or want to make.  The "easiest" is probably one of the mag lock arrangements.  That sticks you with the break open the action to load/drop mags, etc.  But you keep features.  "Featureless " may mean a few minutes with a screwdriver or wrenches.  It seems like the only more difficult change might be if you had a short barrel with a fixed flash suppressor type muzzle device to get it to legal barrel length.

Check a competent/comprehensive info source when checking things like features, over all length, etc.  Be sure it's a current "California" site/info as states differ and a Google search can turn up earlier versions of the AW flowcharts
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 7:11:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Featureless rifles do not require registration as assault weapons.  However as a new resident you will be required to register your guns within 60 days of moving.
Your featureless rifle will then be registered as a long gun.  lol fuck this dump, run away if at all possible.
View Quote
I get some of that, believe me it’s not high on my list of reasons to go.  But you also just can’t say no to ANY opportunity there—I might deem this one worth a try, not sure yet.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 7:16:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
"Easiest" is kind of a push.  I guess it depends on which "features" you like or don't and what trades you might need or want to make.  The "easiest" is probably one of the mag lock arrangements.  That sticks you with the break open the action to load/drop mags, etc.  But you keep features.  "Featureless " may mean a few minutes with a screwdriver or wrenches.  It seems like the only more difficult change might be if you had a short barrel with a fixed flash suppressor type muzzle device to get it to legal barrel length.

Check a competent/comprehensive info source when checking things like features, over all length, etc.  Be sure it's a current "California" site/info as states differ and a Google search can turn up earlier versions of the AW flowcharts
View Quote
Thanks, since I don’t know if I have EVER changed one of my AR magazines quickly (i am almost always just target shooting at 100 yds + or hunting), that seemed like the simplest answer for me personally...
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 10:54:37 PM EDT
[#7]
As was already said above by other posters: For a normal AR, the easiest path is to remove any forward grip, flash hider or other "evil feature", and replace the pistol grip with a fin grip that doesn't allow the thumb to be wrapped around it.  If you insist on keeping the pistol grip, you need to get one of the mag locks that requires opening the action to reload the gun.

No magazines >10 rounds are allowed at all (with tiny exceptions for rimfire tube magazines on lever actions).  Do not bring them into the state.

Quoted:
... and reload ammo instead of mail order due to THAT new law, correct?
View Quote
You don't need to reload.  You can go to any gun store and buy ammo there; there is some extra paperwork (fundamentally a background check), but ammo is widely available.  Even some Walmart stores still stock and sell ammo (fewer than before, but some still do).

You can also get an 03FFL (the federal curio and relic collector license) plus a California CoE (an annual permanent background check that includes fingerprinting), and that allows you to mail-order ammo directly to your house.  Or you can have mail order companies ship to a local gun store, and then pick it up there (with the background check done on the spot, for a fee).  Not all ammo dealers are willing to participate in either of those, and few gun stores are willing to accept mail-order shipments for stuff they have in stock.

In a nutshell, ammo is still widely available, but it got more expensive (except for what Walmart happens to carry) and more hassle to buy.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 9:12:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
As was already said above by other posters: For a normal AR, the easiest path is to remove any forward grip, flash hider or other "evil feature", and replace the pistol grip with a fin grip that doesn't allow the thumb to be wrapped around it.  If you insist on keeping the pistol grip, you need to get one of the mag locks that requires opening the action to reload the gun.

No magazines >10 rounds are allowed at all (with tiny exceptions for rimfire tube magazines on lever actions).  Do not bring them into the state.

You don't need to reload.  You can go to any gun store and buy ammo there; there is some extra paperwork (fundamentally a background check), but ammo is widely available.  Even some Walmart stores still stock and sell ammo (fewer than before, but some still do).

You can also get an 03FFL (the federal curio and relic collector license) plus a California CoE (an annual permanent background check that includes fingerprinting), and that allows you to mail-order ammo directly to your house.  Or you can have mail order companies ship to a local gun store, and then pick it up there (with the background check done on the spot, for a fee).  Not all ammo dealers are willing to participate in either of those, and few gun stores are willing to accept mail-order shipments for stuff they have in stock.

In a nutshell, ammo is still widely available, but it got more expensive (except for what Walmart happens to carry) and more hassle to buy.
View Quote
Good info, thanks!!
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 1:16:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Featureless means fixed stock...
View Quote
Technical correction - the stock does not have to be fixed, it can be adjustable but has to be NON-TELESCOPING.  It is the telescoping stocks that are a "feature".  The word telescoping is even defined by the DOJ regulations, too.

Adjustable stocks are not the problem.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 4:29:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hey all, I don’t see a sticky on this, but from what I see, if someone were to move to CA now with an AR, you basically now need to permanently pin a 10 rd magazine to skip registration (no >10s allowed at all?) and reload ammo instead of mail order due to THAT new law, correct?  What else big am I missing???

Thanks
View Quote
https://www.franklinarmory.com/collections/dfm/products/franklin-armory-10-round-dfm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top