Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2018 8:31:08 PM EDT
Hey gents!  Flying in to San Fran with a buddy the last week of march, and coming back about a week later. We are big on national parks and figured we would spend a lot of time in yosemite, and the lower parts of sequoia/kings canyon.

Any suggestions on other hiking/outdoorsy must do's? Pinnacles national park and Big Sur don't look too far out of the way and have come  up from word of mouth a few times.

We also figure we will snag an airBNB or a motel the last night in town and maybe do some night life. Any insight on places to stay away from, or that you gotta hit?

Thanks arf!
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:47:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Pt. Lobos State Reserve just south of Camel and Monterey.  Google Walk  https://www.google.com/maps/@36.5221796,-121.9539173,2a,90y,44.81h,50.24t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sBkpcU4Vcs3CansJtUJtpsQ!2e0!3e5!7i13312!8i6656

Ano Nuevo State Park for Elephant Seals  http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=523

Coast Redwoods - Closest Muir Woods.  New reserved parking system, have no idea how well it is working  https://www.nps.gov/muwo/planyourvisit/hours.htm

Presidio - Golden Gate National Recreation Area.  - Fort Point mid 1800 Masonry Fort, under south end of Golden Gate Bridge, Golden Gate Bridge south end, several old batteries in vicinity and walk out on GG Bridge, Marin Headlands - Lots of Coast Defense installations, Point Bonita Light House  https://www.nps.gov/goga/marin-headlands.htm

Lot's of interesting stuff in the San Francisco area
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:41:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Normally, at that time of year, Yosemite and Sequoia would still be snow-bound with roads to the high country (Tioga Road, Hwy 120) closed for the season.  Even in this unusually dry year, that may be the case.  This might limit access to Tuolomne Meadows, Tioga Pass and even Tioga Road (which is an AWESOME! drive)

Both places have year-round outdoor centers and activities but it will likely be snow shoes or XC skiing rather than hiking.

If you like lift-served, downhill skiing, Yosemite's Badger Pass may still be open at that time.  They rent everything you'll need.

It is a fairly long drive from Yosemite Valley to the southern end of Seqoia/Kings Canyon (multiple hours).  Perhaps OP meant the lower elevations not southern end.

If you have never been there before, I cannot recommend Yosemite too highly.  It is not possible to recommend it too highly!
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 2:55:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Yosemite good.

If you have already done Sequoia or Kings Canyon, skip Muir Woods.  If you can't get your fill of redwoods because those parks are inaccessible, I would either go for Calaveras Big Trees State Park (about 3 hours along Hwy 4 from SF), or much closer, Big Basin State Park near Santa Cruz.

Coast: Big Sur is obvious.  Just driving along the coast from SF to either Big Sur or Mendocino is glorious.  Also consider Inverness and Tamales Bay, a little north of SF, and Bolinas (where the San Andreas Fault comes back on shore, north of the golden gate).

My favorite secret park: Behind Santa Cruz (an hour south of SF) is Henry Cowell State park.  The bigger part is a little too full of tourists and hikers, and other than hiking trays along the forest and the river it's not very interesting.  But the Fall Creek Unit of the park is nearly completely empty, and has wonderful hiking trails through a coastal forest.  In the spring, when it's wet, it turns into a coastal rainforest.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 9:16:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I will add these to the list!

Is San Fran a total shit hole like GD makes it out to be?
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 9:57:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I will add these to the list!

Is San Fran a total shit hole like GD makes it out to be?
View Quote
Yes, and has been for a very, very long time.

The last time I was there the hotel clerk told me the streets were not safe after ~5 PM when everyone left work.  He was absolutely right.  I declined to check in and gave up my reservation.  As we drove away and the last few straggling office workers left their businesses and went into the train stations, the zombies came out and were (literally) attracted to any living or moving creature looking for handouts and who knows what else.  It was like Twilight Zone.

Some of what should have been nice outdoor parks looked like open sewers, and smelled it.

If it were me, I'd completely skip it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 11:35:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yosemite good.

If you have already done Sequoia or Kings Canyon, skip Muir Woods.  If you can't get your fill of redwoods because those parks are inaccessible, I would either go for Calaveras Big Trees State Park (about 3 hours along Hwy 4 from SF), or much closer, Big Basin State Park near Santa Cruz.

Coast: Big Sur is obvious.  Just driving along the coast from SF to either Big Sur or Mendocino is glorious.  Also consider Inverness and Tamales Bay, a little north of SF, and Bolinas (where the San Andreas Fault comes back on shore, north of the golden gate).

My favorite secret park: Behind Santa Cruz (an hour south of SF) is Henry Cowell State park.  The bigger part is a little too full of tourists and hikers, and other than hiking trays along the forest and the river it's not very interesting.  But the Fall Creek Unit of the park is nearly completely empty, and has wonderful hiking trails through a coastal forest.  In the spring, when it's wet, it turns into a coastal rainforest.
View Quote
There are Redwood trees in Sequoia?
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 1:01:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There are Redwood trees in Sequoia?
View Quote
Yes.  http://conifersociety.org/conifers/conifer/sequoia/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top