Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2016 11:35:28 AM EDT
I'm taking my family on a three week road trip from NY to California to visit Yosemite/Sequoia/Kings Canyon this summer. I have valid NY, PA and FL ccw permits so I'm good to go in most 40 state's. I will be taking a SIG P220 with me so I'm ok with california's 10 round limit. I know Cali has no reciprocity so I went to the California Highway Patrol's website faq and found this:

"If you wish to transport a handgun during your California visit, it should be carried unloaded in a locked container. In the absence of a suitable container, you may secure the unloaded handgun in the locked trunk of a passenger car. Ammunition may be kept in the same container or trunk, but the handgun must remain unloaded with no rounds in the cylinder and no loaded magazines in the magazine well."

I have a stack-on keyed lockbox for my pistol and spare mags while in the car. Is there anyway to carry the pistol unloaded with a loaded mag on my person? While not an ideal way to carry, I figure something is better than nothing!
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 11:49:58 AM EDT
[#1]
No, there is not.

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 1:35:17 PM EDT
[#2]
No, it must be locked up and the glove box or center counsel don't count. Best bet is simple lockbox under the seat, a loaded mag can be in the same lockbox, it just can't be inserted into the gun. A lockbox with a combo lock that is one digit off would be perfectly legal.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 1:44:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A lockbox with a combo lock that is one digit off would be perfectly legal.
View Quote

I like it! Thanks.

Am I correct to assume that the pistol can be kept loaded in the hotel room since it is a temporary residence?
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 2:52:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe so.

Tom
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 5:58:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, hotel room, motorhome (parked), even a tent, considered your domicile,

Link Posted: 2/16/2016 1:25:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Be careful in those National Parks.  Its only been the past few years that you can even bring a firearm into them (with valid CCW).  Supposedly they have to follow state law nowadays, but I never volunteer to tell them about weapons when paying the entrance fees.  

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/weapons.htm

Also, you plan on buying an annual National Park Pass?  It might be cheaper than paying separate park fees depending on where you go and how long you stay.  And summertime in Yosemite is like a day in Disneyland.  The park is over crowded with tourists, especially the valley floor.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 3:15:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Go to Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons, or Glacier National Park. A bit more gun - friendly area and more beautiful as well. I won't even bother driving through CA anymore.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:03:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go to Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons, or Glacier National Park. A bit more gun - friendly area and more beautiful as well. I won't even bother driving through CA anymore.
View Quote

We have visited all of those, with the Tetons being the family favorite.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top