Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2015 10:36:40 PM EDT
Does anybody here have a NFA trust?  If so how did you go about getting it?  Unforeseen difficulties?  http://www.coyoterifleworks.com/nfa-trust/ is advertising assistance in getting them.  I was wondering if this is a viable option?

Thanks

Jason
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:16:32 AM EDT
[#1]
My gut feel is they don't fly in CA, and since they mention several times about checking with an experienced attorney "in your state." it's probably a good idea.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:42:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I looked into this a few years back. CA bans most NFA regardless of stamp. AOW shotguns are the only thing that is legal with stamp, and even that is effectively impossible since the SSE went away (stamped AOWs were classified by CA as handguns).

So an NFA trust will not help you unless you want a ppt AOW.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:22:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Could you own the trust and store the weapon or nfa gear in NV or out of state? I believe I remember a guy doing this with a upper of his. It was on a pistol when in state, and an SBR registered lower out of state.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:47:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Could you own the trust and store the weapon or nfa gear in NV or out of state? I believe I remember a guy doing this with a upper of his. It was on a pistol when in state, and an SBR registered lower out of state.
View Quote

You'd need to acquire the AOW in CA before you can go store it in NV, that's the problem. The SSE going away has made acquiring an AOW shotgun in CA virtually impossible, trust or no trust.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:55:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I looked into this a few years back. CA bans most NFA regardless of stamp. AOW shotguns are the only thing that is legal with stamp, and even that is effectively impossible since the SSE went away (stamped AOWs were classified by CA as handguns).

So an NFA trust will not help you unless you want a ppt AOW.
View Quote

All AOWs are legal in CA except for "pen guns" which are separately and specifically prohibited.

C&R short barrel rifles and shotguns are also legal in CA, but must be at least 50 years old as an NFA firearm. You cannot Form 1 a C&R shotgun and retain its C&R status. A trust would help you here since this has nothing to do with the SSE, but finding a true NFA C&R short barreled shotgun is very difficult.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top