Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2014 1:55:05 PM EDT
No surprise here, Sony moving more ops to Vancouver with their subsidy incentives. Still sad to see yet more work leaving CA.

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 2:40:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 3:37:54 PM EDT
[#2]
In the case of the VFX industry, the primary resource is the people. More and more the business model is keep a few experienced people on staff, then hire and fire as production ramps up and then the film goes out. It's created an industry of nomads. 15 years ago SONY had 10+ projects working at the same time. Now maybe two. Cities are competing for the industry dollars and subsidize 30-40% labor reimbursement at the taxpayer expense(Vancouver, New Orleans, Montreal, Detroit). When the subsidies stop the company pulls out and moves to the next town offering subsidies. The infrastructure ramp up costs are so much smaller now than in the past since ever city now has fiber lines. The expense of the move is now borne by the people who have to pull up stakes and get to the next city, only to be let go 4 months later.

Friends I know that bought homes in LA are now there half the time or less, working overseas for months(years sometimes) on end to keep the money coming in. Sad to see.

Market forces... c'est la vie!

I was thinking about a little vacation plot as well maybe in Kern county... but why not put it in a suppressor-friendly state.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 11:11:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I was thinking of buying a second home as a summer place up in the Sierras somewhere ... and thought about it and why not just drive east rather than north so now I'm looking in AZ, UT, and ID.

POST 60,000! about leaving CA.
View Quote

Flagstaff is nice.  And Idaho is really nice.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 4:04:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking of buying a second home as a summer place up in the Sierras somewhere ... and thought about it and why not just drive east rather than north so now I'm looking in AZ, UT, and ID.

POST 60,000! about leaving CA.

As is Utah.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 5:11:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Pretty typical in today's cutthroat business world. Can't see anything changing for the better anytime soon.[>:/I
I left my friends and family behind 21 years ago and said goodbye to my beautiful native state.
Best thing I ever did. Good Luck Fellas!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top