Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2012 5:47:54 AM EDT
Just looking for some feedback.  I've been to the park a few times but never camped there.  I'm looking to stay either in a backcountry area or one of the primitive sites.  Because I have a tent that goes on my truck, I'd like to find a spot where I can camp where I park my truck.  

Any spots that ya'll particularly like?  I know it's a huge area but hopefully some of ya'll have been there and have some insight.

ETA:  I'm driving a 2wd Tacoma Prerunner, so the trails can't bee too hairy.
Link Posted: 3/4/2012 11:34:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not too familiar with camping spots but if you've never been to Split Mountain, you might want to check it out.  I might have some pics here somewhere.
Link Posted: 3/4/2012 11:36:09 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Just looking for some feedback.  I've been to the park a few times but never camped there.  I'm looking to stay either in a backcountry area or one of the primitive sites.  Because I have a tent that goes on my truck, I'd like to find a spot where I can camp where I park my truck.  

Any spots that ya'll particularly like?  I know it's a huge area but hopefully some of ya'll have been there and have some insight.

I've been there, but not often. Try the CAHTF. There's a bunch who go there.

Link Posted: 3/4/2012 11:40:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I grew up around there and some times of year the winds can be real bad.  They kick up in the early hours of the morning and will rip a tent to shreds.  We mostly slept with a tarp over us.  I haven't been there in 35 years so I can't help you with the camp sites.
Link Posted: 3/4/2012 11:48:21 AM EDT
[#4]
One of the big things I miss about CA. I am in Texas now. Used to camp, stargaze  and hunt out there. Man I miss the desert. Roads can change from season to season due to rains cause the roads go through washes etc.. I've seen'em where you can take a honda civic to get to a spot and the next year you practicaly need an M1A1 Abrahms.
Link Posted: 3/4/2012 11:48:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Double tap
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 5:48:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 7:45:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Moved from G.D.

Thank you.  Hoped it would get a little more exposure with the locals.

Link Posted: 3/9/2012 8:59:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 8:33:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

In Anza you can camp where ever the spirit moves you (but "stay out of the road if you want to grow old"). IIRC you have to camp 50 feet off the road but I do remember no ground fires (scars) so we bring a wrought iron backyard fire pit with us and pack out the ashes. There's lots of nooks and crannies you can stick yourself back into to stay out of the winds. Beware of the firearm regulations as it's a park - not a forest.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=638

I hardly camp in the same place twice with all the choices out here but have been to Anza more than a few times. I like the areas about 100 yards north of the Wind Caves trail start but that area can be filled with Boy Scouts when the weather is good. The Wind Caves are a fun place to climb up to and wander around. The trail that leads up there from the south is street car passable but unpaved.

The camping off the road was the only part that confused me.  I assume they mean 50 feet off a blacktop road?  Obviously I won't be blocking any of the dirt trails, but I thought I read something that said you are only supposed to park 1 car length off of the established dirt trails?  Maybe I misread.

Been poking around a lot on google earth.  Probably going to head north on S2 from the 8 and just pick one of the trails to camp after we check out the Blair Valley area.  I'll keep the Wind Caves in mind if we get over to that side of the park.  Thanks for the tip!  
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 6:52:08 PM EDT
[#10]
It's a fantastic area to camp, a few too many rules for me (such as having to have an above ground fire or pack your literal shit out with you). But beautiful nonetheless. The real backcountry area is not going to be accessible by your 2wd truck, there are some steep grades with large rocks to go over, and then come down on the way out. 4x4low is the best bet.

Granted, there are probably some good areas to get to with your Taco that are still good back country, I'm just not familiar with them.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 7:08:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Appreciate the feedback everybody.  Got a trip setup for next weekend weather permitting.  I do a lot of photography while camping so if I end up going I'll probably post a thread in GD but I'll link to it here.  Thanks all.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 11:04:50 PM EDT
[#12]
It is a State Park, so remember discretion is the better part of valor regarding your little friends
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top