Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2011 12:24:35 AM EDT
Alright I think I'm squared away but please double check me.

I will be flying to california In the next day or so for an urgent situation with a family member. I am  MI resident with a valid CCW. NO I WILL NOT CARRY CONCEALED as I know CA doesn't recognize out of state permits. The pistol I am bringing was originally purchased in CA by my father but has since been registered to me in MI.

I am only bringing my 10 rounds magazines and leaving the HI-caps at home.

The pistol will be unloaded and locked in a commercial gun case in the trunk of the car when driving to and from my destination.

The ammo will be locked in the same case as the pistol as from what I have read there is no law stating they must be separated and it is legal to carry the ammo and the pistol in the same case, so long as the ammo is not loaded into a magazine that is"ATTACHED" to the pistol.

When at the residence in which I am staying, the pistol will be unlocked loaded and accessible. I will be bringing JHP ammunition with me, as far as I know I did not see anything banning the use of hollow points in CA–––– Please confirm this...... it has been 8+ years since I have been home.

I will be leaving the state either by vehicle and driving back east cross country or getting back on a plane and flying back with my family member.  I wont know until my boots are on the ground in CA and I can get some of this situation figured out. I should not have any problems re-checking my pistol at SMF if I leave via airplane as my pistol is legal to own in CA––––

Has anyone had problems checking firearms on a plane when flying out of CA as long as you are in compliance with all FAA and TSA laws????? I am well versed on those laws as well.

While I am not expecting to get into any confrontations when there, I will be dealing with a nasty divorce of family member who's spouse has a history of drug abuse, alcohol dependency, domestic violence, threat of my family members life and a criminal record. I do not trust this person, and am just trying to be prepared for any situation that may happen. (I should not even see this person but they know I'm coming and that my family member is leaving with me––––OPSEC FAIL–––– )

Also I read that open carry is legal is most parts of the state so long as it is not concealed at all and there is no loaded magazine attached to the pistol.––- SHOULD I choose to carry open with the loaded magazines on my opposite hip in a mag pouch would there be a problem to this???? The area where I will be is fairly rural in the foot hills up in the Auburn area north east of SAC

Have many people carried open???––-Not saying for sure that I am just a thought.

I will be bringing along my traveler's guide to the firearm laws of the 50 states, but please double check if it looks like I'm GTG or am I missing anything important?

Like I said it's been 8 years since i've been there and it is an urgent trip so thank you for your time.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:37:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Hollow points are not banned.

Your method of transport and storage at residence is legal (notwithstanding any <18 year-olds there)

Unloaded open carry is not something you want to take part in. It falls under the "it's not illegal, but it's not the smartest idea either" realm. It is also heavily restricted by gun free school zones (1,000ft of any K-12)
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:43:13 AM EDT
[#2]
thank you for the heads up about open carry, I wasn't planning on it, it was just a side thought that if it was legal and I felt the need to I would. But will probably stay away from that.

No minors will be present.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:57:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I think you're gtg. Airports here don't check or care whether or not your firearms are registered to you. Good luck with your "situation."
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:34:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't think it's legal here to have ammo and gun in same case. I think the law says the gun needs to be locked in case in your trunk and the ammo can be in the passenger compartment ike glove box
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:50:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't think it's legal here to have ammo and gun in same case. I think the law says the gun needs to be locked in case in your trunk and the ammo can be in the passenger compartment ike glove box

There is no such requirement. As long as the ammunition isn't attached to the firearm in a manner from which it can be fired (loaded magazine in magazine well, round in chamber, shotgun shell in magazine tube, etc.) then it can be in the same container during transport.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 9:38:33 AM EDT
[#6]
nothing to see here
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 10:07:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no such requirement. As long as the ammunition isn't attached to the firearm in a manner from which it can be fired (loaded magazine in magazine well, round in chamber, shotgun shell in magazine tube, etc.) then it can be in the same container during transport.

However, individual airline rules may differ than TSA. OP, you should check with the airline that you are flying with.

I don't think airlines have "trunks" and "glove boxes." I think you're thinking of a different application (flying) than what is being discussed (vehicular transportation)
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 11:38:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Oops, didn't know what I was thinking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top