Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2011 10:51:40 AM EDT
Going hiking up in the Sierra, are there any restrictions on open carrying knives, for example a fixed blade hunting knife or a Kabar ?

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 11:00:20 AM EDT
[#1]
IIRC, it must be carried openly - not tucked under your shirt, not inside your waist band, not "accidentally" hidden by your jacket if you put one on.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 12:53:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
IIRC, it must be carried openly - not tucked under your shirt, not insdie your waist band, not accidentally hidden by your jacket if you put one on.

That's right out in the open no restrictions. If its in your pocket the blade should be smaller/shorter then your palm.

If u get stopped always declare u have a knife in your pocket .
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 4:20:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
IIRC, it must be carried openly - not tucked under your shirt, not insdie your waist band, not accidentally hidden by your jacket if you put one on.

Correct, a concealed knife is a felony in California.

Link Posted: 8/7/2011 5:06:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 5:15:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I was broader line on a folding knife I had on me. (I always have a knife on me, inside my pocket with the clip exposed.) I was stopped by PD at an outdoor mail in Los Angeles. Was pulled aside and asked to pull out all object ts in my pockets. I did. Was asked why I had the knife. Told them I always do. Checked the size of the blade a I asked why. He said it can't be longer them my palm.

I was stopped and asked because two things... I was Hispanic and there was a reported stabbing earlier that day.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 7:44:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 7:55:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was broader line on a folding knife I had on me. (I always have a knife on me, inside my pocket with the clip exposed.) I was stopped by PD at an outdoor mail in Los Angeles. Was pulled aside and asked to pull out all object ts in my pockets. I did. Was asked why I had the knife. Told them I always do. Checked the size of the blade a I asked why. He said it can't be longer them my palm.

I was stopped and asked because two things... I was Hispanic and there was a reported stabbing earlier that day.

The cop was making up law - surprise!

Paul is 100% correct. There is no blade limit for folding knives from the state.
I have a few police officer friends that have said the same damn thing too. Everyone's palms are a different size, how are they supposed to determine whose is the correct length?
It's a stupid rumor that keeps getting repeated.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 9:17:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The cop was making up law - surprise!

Paul is 100% correct. There is no blade limit for folding knives from the state.
I have a few police officer friends that have said the same damn thing too. Everyone's palms are a different size, how are they supposed to determine whose is the correct length?
It's a stupid rumor that keeps getting repeated.

Correct, a fixed balde knife, or a folding knife carried with the blade in the open position, cannot be concealed.  Being inside a sheath is not considered concealed.  A folding knife can be concealed.  Switchblades over 2.5 inches are illegal (I think the section is 653k P.C., but I am not going to look it up right now).  Many cops get confused with this section.  They seem to think that a spring-assisted knife, or a folding knife that can open with a snappy flip of the wrist, is a switchblade.  If you read the section closely, this is not true.  But, in some cases, be prepared to spend a couple nights in jail until it gets rejected.

ETA:  Just to clarify, the wrongful arrest I have seen for spring-assisted or similar knives were more complicated than just possession of the knife.  The arrestees usually had other illegal stuff, i.e. dope, guns, etc, or were just being an a$$hole to the officer.  The officer would use the possession of the knife, in part, to justify a search (incident to arrest) of the person.  In the case of spring-assisted knives, these cases were rejected or thrown out b/c possession of the knife was not illegal, therefore the arrest was in error and search incident to arrest was violation of rights (fruit of the poisonous tree).  Long story short, if you have a spring assisted knife, are polite to officers, and are not carrying anything else illegal, you should be okay.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 2:50:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So, did they stop every Hispanic in SoCal that day?  If that was there only reason, it's pretty darned weak, if not made up on the spot.  I'd have reported it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 8:56:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct, a concealed knife is a felony misdemeanor in California.

From penal code 12020 (24) (D)

(a) Any person in this state who does any of the following

is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year

or in the state prison:

––-snip––-

Knives carried in sheaths which are worn openly suspended from

the waist of the wearer are not concealed within the meaning of this

section.

I have seen no restrictions on the size for folders.
That is a 'wobbler'-it can be charged as either a felony or a misdemeanor.

"or in the state prison" means that if it is charged as a felony the possible prison that a judge can hand out are 18 months,  2 years, or 3 years in state prison.

On the street wobblers are treated as felonies by law enforcement.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:34:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct, a concealed knife is a felony in California.

Concealed fixed blade knife is against the law.

Folders are good to go.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top