Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2011 2:39:31 PM EDT
I just got formal notification that my Trap/Skeet/5 Stand/Olympic Trap & Skeet Range has closed permanently.

San Diego Shotgun Sports, formerly Miramar Trap and Skeet Club, just sent final notices out.  The range was "temporarily" closed about two years or so ago, ostensibly due to environmental reasons.

I'm so pissed I can't tell you.  One of the reasons I moved to San Diego some 24 years ago was that they had this extraordinary shotgun sports range.  Now, there is nowhere in San Diego to shoot skeet.  A few trap ranges around, but I haven't found any skeet fields close by.

Originally, the range was on property leased from the USN.  Then the USMC when the Navy moved out.  There's alot more to the story as I understand it, but it still results in yet another range closed down.

God Dammit!
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 3:11:29 PM EDT
[#1]

Sorry to hear that.  Down here not too far from my area many years ago, use to have a skeet/trap range also.  Actually on Main St. Chula Vista.  Sadly with urban sprawl it was shut down.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 3:40:31 PM EDT
[#2]
My Dad, me, and my son used to shoot there.  I have a video of my son when he was 12 or 13 shooting trap there for a TV commercial.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 5:06:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I taught my son to shoot there when he was 6 or 7.  Little guy always brought smiles and chuckles from the old timers with his little .410 remington.

I used to shoot a lot of ATA trap, then migrated to skeet for the relaxation.  While I now shoot a lot more pistol and rifle, my first love was shotgun sports!

I'm really disappointed.  

Link Posted: 2/21/2011 7:30:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Not too happy about this either. One of the first places I started shooting trap. Alot of great guys used to shoot there. A loss for the San Diego shooting community.
Link Posted: 2/22/2011 3:52:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn!  I though it had already been shut down for good since the 1st "closure"...  CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/22/2011 5:04:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Well......they kept holding out hope that they'd get the place opened again.  Congressman Duncan Hunter was supposedly trying to get the USMC to agree to some kind of limitations on the shooting (i.e., only factory ammo purchased from the club,  nothing larger than 7 1/2, etc.).

I guess nothing was satifactory to the base commander.

Last I heard was that it wasn't only the lead leaving the lease holding, but that the environmentalists all of a sudden found "vernal pools" were in jeopardy.  Shit, it really doesn't make any difference, the place is gone.
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 8:08:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Sorry to hear that.  Down here not too far from my area many years ago, use to have a skeet/trap range also.  Actually on Main St. Chula Vista.  Sadly with urban sprawl it was shut down.

Urban sprawl, don't feed the UN trolls.

Link Posted: 2/26/2011 6:13:57 AM EDT
[#8]
So.......can anyone tell me where the nearest skeet range is to San Diego?  Prado?
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 7:48:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I saw the writing on the wall in 1976, when I left North Clairemont. Then I moved back to God's country. I live less than a mile and one half from Silver Leaf Shooting Sports shotgun range in Guthrie, OK. I can see deer in my garden from where I sit. Sure miss hunting  rabbits and ground squirrels on government property at Miramar in the early sixties. (oops! Trespassing!) Class of 1970, Madison High School.
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 9:48:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I shoot at Escondido Fish and Game. Project 2000 is also a good place but it is a freaking fortune to shoot there. Last I was there they charged $8 a round. I am a member at Escondido Fish and Game and it is $5 a round. Both places are equal drive from me. The range in Escondido is great. They have three trap fields and 1 5 stand / sporting clays, a pistol range and two rifles ranges 1 is 100 yards and the other is 150. Well worth it! Just my two cents!
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 6:52:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, but no skeet!
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 1:20:44 PM EDT
[#12]
It's a damn shame about Miramar.  I go all the way to P2K now.  Even though it's a bit of a trip, I like the place and so far everyone there has been really cool.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 4:06:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's a damn shame about Miramar.  I go all the way to P2K now.  Even though it's a bit of a trip, I like the place and so far everyone there has been really cool.

Last time I checked, P2K doesn't have Skeet!  Crap!
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 6:46:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Ooops, that's my mistake.  P2K just has 5 stand and trap.  Sorry bout that.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 6:30:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ooops, that's my mistake.  P2K just has 5 stand and trap.  Sorry bout that.

No problem.  I'd still like to know where the closest public skeet range is to San Diego.  I still think it may be Prado.  That's a long damn way away!  An hour and a half easily.

Still pisses me off
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:57:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah everything in San Diego is closing. I go to pardo with my brother that lives in Chino. Nice place, nice people.

I was told about this place in El Cajon. I think its call P2K range. My buddies from work go there. They say its nice ,not that expensive and you can take your own ammo. I haven't checked it out for myself.

I'll let you know if I head out there to see whats the big fuss about...

good luck fellow San Diego people... little by little everything is getting stripped from us.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:55:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for your reply.

FYI, P2K does not have Skeet.

I've been told that Prado is the closet skeet facility to San Diego.

ETA -  I used to drive 10 minutes to Miramar.  Now I'd be facing 90 to Prado.  Generally not worth my time.  Occasionally, I suppose I might make the drive.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:51:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I was told today that Esco. fish and game club. allows guest to use their shotgun ranges on wed. and I think sat. I'll have to double check.

And they have both skeet and trap...

lol... Yeah I was told today p2k does not have skeet... what a shame...

I'm thinking of opening my own shooting range... lol... I wish...
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:24:34 PM EDT
[#19]
FYI

Escondido does not have skeet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top