Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2010 9:59:01 AM EDT
Anyone know of any companies that will help you build a discrete hidden gun safe in the home?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:13:14 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Anyone know of any companies that will help you build a discrete hidden gun safe in the home?
There are ways to hide long safes inside your walls or your floor.  You need a contractor you TRUST not to open his mouth about what he built for you.  Thats a hard thing to come by.

I built a false wall in the back of my closet.  The closet appears normal sized but has a 24" deep x 48" tall x 36" wide void in it.  Its impossible to see even with everything removed from the closet.  I use this for firearm storage when I am on vacation.  I know a guy who after buying a house.  Had a contractor cut a hole into the floor of his closet. He placed a long gun safe into the hole.  The carpet covers the safe.  In most homes there are places to use to hide a safe from view.  the longer a person has to search the better their Chance to find it.  You goal would be to fool a criminal who is quickly looking through the home.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:47:35 PM EDT
[#2]
This may sound weird or overkill but, I took a corner of my garage and put in a false corner to make it look like the wall just had to come out more and put a large Safari safe hidden in there. I then put a gardening tool rack to hold shovels, rakes etc... to hide the push-button that allows it to swing open. I keep my good firearms and other important items in there and have a few handguns and a shotgun in the house for defense purposes. And the safe is bolted to the garage floor so, if someone ever found it they would have to get in it on the spot. I have heard of safes being taken out on heavy duty dolly's and gone... Just sayin'
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:28:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies, those are great ideas.  Sounds like I would need to know something about construction to build something like this.  Are there any companies that specialize in this sort of thing?  Or am I just going to have to find a good contractor?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:02:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:39:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:00:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I would never trust a contractor/stranger for a job like that.  That's a job you got to do yourself.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:59:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Thanks again CW, I did see those, Im trying to find something that could hold about 8 rifles.  My problem is finding one deep enough.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:09:28 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Thanks again CW, I did see those, I'm trying to find something that could hold about 8 rifles. My problem is finding one deep enough.

Wow, 8 rifles.  I think you can get two or three per stud, but removing studs to have one unit hold all 8 isn't a good idea.  I think you would see warped walls after a few weeks.  My advise would be to NOT make one long safe and keep the studs as part of the hiding spot.

Also remember thieves don't look up or down.  Simply placing firearms in your attic stops most thieves.  If your access is in a hall or bedroom closet as long as a ladder isnt close by they are not going up there.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:59:00 AM EDT
[#9]
The most descreet is the one you build & NEVER let anyone know about (Except SO & perhaps grown children )  Build a Tony Soprano Lazy Susan false wall Rifle Rack (With Nice wood & lighting ) and don't look back .
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:16:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The most descreet is the one you build & NEVER let anyone know about (Except SO & perhaps grown children ) Build a Tony Soprano Lazy Susan false wall Rifle Rack (With Nice wood & lighting ) and don't look back .

I've seen one of those.  Very hard to build.  takes bigtime skill to get it right.  Its also only good for basements since the pivot point needs to be at the centerline which means the void behind the case has to be 50% of the length to allow the unit to turn.  A 48" long lazysuzy rack needs a 24" void behind it and in front of it for that matter.

awesome if you can do it though.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:16:52 PM EDT
[#11]
instead of the lazy suzan, one might consider a sliding shelf (left to right or vice versa). Like a pocket door with shelves.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top