Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2010 7:10:21 AM EDT
I am a recent AZ transplant, I know...why leave such a gun friendly state?  Thats for another thread.  I just need to know what gun shops do fellow San Diegans trust for their AR needs questions etc.  Still relatively new to the AR club (have a complete lower, buttstock, etc. just saving up for the upper I want).

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:48:34 PM EDT
[#1]
SDL, try the Hometown forum. You'll probably get quicker more detailed responses in the California section.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:59:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. Will do.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:33:46 PM EDT
[#3]
try http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php should be alot more info. As for AR shops in San Diego there are a few that sell them but not much in the way of parts. parallax tactical in Sorento mesa has some stuff.  What exactly do you need?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:52:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I would never move back to Kalifornistan,  I feel for you. Good luck in your search.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:06:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Depends on what you want from the shop.  If you want a selection and do not really want a detailed question answered, they do know enough.  Turners in Kearny Mesa is not bad.  Around the corner on Convoy is Socal guns.  It is in a better location, one side is a liqueur store and the other is a strip club :)  I have recently been going to an indoor range call Project 2000.  They have a lot of stuff and the ones I have talked to knew more then I expected.  The prices are pretty good to.  In El Cajon on Magnolia is Discount gun AKA Magnolia in door range.  They are good to deal with.

Buzz.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:20:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Go to Quantico Tactical in Oceanside on Coast Highway.  They are a few blocks south of Mission.  They have a ton of uppers in stock ready to go and are staffed by Marines or retired Marines who actually know something about using ARs (and variants) for their intended purpose.  Turners and other places are usually staffed (with some exceptions) with the mall ninja crowd.  Socal gun are just plain rude most of the time.  

They don't have the largest selection of brands, but they do sell good stuff (LMT, GG&G, Troy, RRA, etc.).  Their prices are really good too, look at their website for an idea of the LMT stuff, and they will usually honor a discount for AR15.com members.  John, "Grumpy", is the manager, and he'll hook you up.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 1:15:19 PM EDT
[#7]
There's parallaxtactical in sorrento valley

Discountgunmart in Santee and near Seaworld.

EE section and mail order
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:13:38 PM EDT
[#8]
American Shooting Center off Kearny Villa has some AR15 accessories as well as complete rifles.

Souther California Used Guns off Convoy has slightly more AR15 accessories as well as complete rifles.

Turners on Clairemont Mesa may have a couple complete rifles, not much for accessories though.

Discount Gun Mart on Morena has some AR15's and accessories but they are complete dick heads there. Check their reviews on yahoo/yelp (hint: the 5 star reviews are from themselves and friends, the 1 star reviews are from legitimate customers.)

Project 2000 Range has some accessories as well as complete AR's and lower receivers.

El Cajon Gun Exchange off El Cajon Blvd has a decent amount of AR's and AR accessories.

Etc Etc... their are a few others places.... probably some others that may have slightly more AR accessories... but bottom line is, don't expect to see many gun shops like ones you've probably experienced in AZ. When I took a trip across the US I stopped in a few gun shops in AZ, I'm not sure how your typical gun shops were, but you won't find any thing like that around here.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:22:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I would never move back to Kalifornistan,  I feel for you. Good luck in your search.

Thanks for your priceless input. I don't know what the Op could have possibly done without your suggestion directly relating to his question.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:42:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am a recent AZ transplant, I know...why leave such a gun friendly state?  Thats for another thread.  I just need to know what gun shops do fellow San Diegans trust for their AR needs questions etc.  Still relatively new to the AR club (have a complete lower, buttstock, etc. just saving up for the upper I want).

Besides all the input you have received already, a cop shop - California Police Equipment on El Cajon Blvd. just east of freeway 15.

http://capoliceequip.com/
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:35:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Semper Fi Depot has a decent selection of stuff. Most of the higher end variety. Parallax tactical has a good selection and are helpful. Never dealt with Quantico but have heard good things.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:49:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks to all for your input.  I am in the market for a complete upper. I am pretty sure I will buy online, but sometimes you just want to hold something in your hands. I.e. feel of a standard hand grip vs. a tactical rail. Whether I want a FSB or Optics Ready with flip up sights.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:48:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

American Shooting Center off Kearny Villa has some AR15 accessories as well as complete rifles.

Full of assholes

Souther California Used Guns off Convoy has slightly more AR15 accessories as well as complete rifles.

full of idiot, fudd assholes

Turners on Clairemont Mesa may have a couple complete rifles, not much for accessories though.

Full of idiots

Discount Gun Mart on Morena has some AR15's and accessories but they are complete dick heads there. Check their reviews on yahoo/yelp (hint: the 5 star reviews are from themselves and friends, the 1 star reviews are from legitimate customers.)

Best experience I've ever had with firearms in San Diego.

Project 2000 Range has some accessories as well as complete AR's and lower receivers.

Will never shoot there again, was reprimanded for drawing from my holster to shoot.

El Cajon Gun Exchange off El Cajon Blvd has a decent amount of AR's and AR accessories.

Never been

Etc Etc... their are a few others places.... probably some others that may have slightly more AR accessories... but bottom line is, don't expect to see many gun shops like ones you've probably experienced in AZ. When I took a trip across the US I stopped in a few gun shops in AZ, I'm not sure how your typical gun shops were, but you won't find any thing like that around here.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:43:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Full of assholes
Full of idiots
Will never shoot there again, was reprimanded for drawing from my holster to shoot.
Never been

Discount Gun mart are by far the biggest douches in San Diego County... I've never met a single person who's been to discount gun mart who had anything remotely nice to say about the employees. And I don't just mean from people who may not have any business in a gun store, I'm talking about responsible/knowledgeable military and law enforcement buddies from all walks of attitude. I've personally been treated poorly every time I've went into their shop, even while purchasing firearms.

I can agree SoCal Used guns wont be winning any polite awards any time soon. But even they are not near the caliber of "dick head" that Discount Gun Mart is. As for the rest, they have all been polite to me for the most part.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:23:02 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Full of assholes

Full of idiots

Never been

Discount Gun mart are by far the biggest douches in San Diego County... I've never met a single person who's been to discount gun mart who had anything remotely nice to say about the employees. And I don't just mean from people who may not have any business in a gun store, I'm talking about responsible/knowledgeable military and law enforcement buddies from all walks of attitude. I've personally been treated poorly every time I've went into their shop, even while purchasing firearms.

I can agree SoCal Used guns wont be winning any polite awards any time soon. But even they are not near the caliber of "dick head" that Discount Gun Mart is. As for the rest, they have all been polite to me for the most part.
Dang, really?

DGM Has been great to my buddy and I, real sorry to hear about your experience there.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:41:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Regarding P2K, the girl tried to tell me their rule regarding drawing / using a holster and I told her there was no way I was going to lay my $1000 gun on their wood and metal benches in the stalls they had. She said uh, ok... The only thing I do not like there is the rang ceases fire about every 30 min so the 100 yard range can walk down to change targets. Build a wall between the 25 yard and the 100?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:56:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Regarding P2K, the girl tried to tell me their rule regarding drawing / using a holster and I told her there was no way I was going to lay my $1000 gun on their wood and metal benches in the stalls they had. She said uh, ok... The only thing I do not like there is the rang ceases fire about every 30 min so the 100 yard range can walk down to change targets. Build a wall between the 25 yard and the 100?

The dumbshit teenager was a little more firm/aggressive with me, said I was going to hurt myself doing it. I packed my shit up and haven't been back.

The cease fire is every -10ish- minutes. You're paying full price for 40 minutes of shooting, not an hour.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:53:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Project 2k: They do have more AR stuff now.
The cease fire is every 30 minutes for 5 minutes. They are working on building a wall. I was told Project 2k is non-profit. I personally like this place.

Turners: NO AR stuff outside of ammo and full rifles.
The guys there are young 20-somethings who think they know everything. Not rude but have an "I don't care" attitude.

Socal Gun: They have some AR stuff.
Not rude but have an "I don't care" attitude.

American Shooting: They have some AR stuff.
Not rude but have an "I don't care" attitude.

Discount Gun Mart: The have a little bigger selection of AR stuff.
Rude sometimes, helpful other times, but always seem to have an "I don't care" attitude.

Quantico: Have bigger AR selection
Helpful and knowledgeable. They are former Marines, that is their attitude. They aren't trying to be rude.

Haven't been to any of the other places in San Diego.

They all have issues with holstered weapons. Maybe Discount doesn't care cause they can't see it. But they have written down to NOT holster, draw and fire your weapon. I'm sure it's a insurance safety thing.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:17:19 AM EDT
[#19]
parallax tactical

only EBR stuff
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 7:34:54 AM EDT
[#20]
My experience with El Cajon Gun Exchange is they have an I don't want to be bothered attitude.  Won't do business with them again.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 3:29:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My experience with El Cajon Gun Exchange is they have an I don't want to be bothered attitude.  Won't do business with them again.

That about sums it up...
Link Posted: 9/20/2010 7:58:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Well I went to So Cal, Turners, and El Cajon this last week.  Here is what I thought.

So Cal:  not bad, there were two guys who seemed to know what they were talking about but they don't have any prices on many things and I had to wait in line with the paying customers to find out a price.  But overall not a bad store.

Turners:  really stupid young guy helped me. They had this $3000 piston gun with a twisted fluted barrel made by some navy seal and I asked to see it because the barrel was interesting.  After handling it for a while the other clerk behind the counter older (50 ish) said "so are you gonna buy it?"  Seriously??? I had never heard of the gun and it looked like a one armed 5 year old put it together. The VRG was all the way forward on the rail....anyhow. Not impressed with the store overall.  But if I was in the market for another handgun or something then I might consider because they had a huge selection.

El Cajon: not bad either, I went in shorts and flip flops (I'm in San Diego) and I felt like they couldn't stop watching me.  Their employees were helpful but this one dude just kept giving me the stink eye.  Not a bad experience.

Link Posted: 9/20/2010 10:36:24 PM EDT
[#23]
There's a brand new shop open in Solana Beach called CGM. Ask for Colby 858-436-7088.
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 10:03:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
There's a brand new shop open in Solana Beach called CGM. Ask for Colby 858-436-7088.

CGM is now Direct Action Solutions:

http://www.directactionsolutions.net/

An AR manufacturer is also local to San Diego, JD Machine Tech.  They're known to give tours of the facility if you're interested.

http://www.jdmachinetech.com/
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 10:48:07 PM EDT
[#25]
If you don't mind driving a bit north, riflegear in Costa Mesa is the best place I've been to. Just off the 405, all of the employees are smart, friendly, and very helpful. A friend of mine bought the LWRC AR pistol, and carefully explained all the laws associated with it, we spent over 3 hours just shopping and talking with them about almost everything they had. Incredible selection, it was like being a kid in a candy store.

AR's, Ak's 308's, saiga's, even an AUG bulpup.

There are also gun shows down the road from there every few months, at the costa mesa fair grounds.
next one is late november I believe.

Don't forget, uppers can be shipped directly to your home.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top