Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2010 5:52:12 PM EDT
My sister is moving to CA soon and we would feel better if she could carry a weapon with her.  My dad and I were thinking about getting her a pump shotgun to carry in her truck with her.  

Is it legal in CA to carry a long gun in a vehicle?

Can you point me to a website with CA carry laws?
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 6:23:39 PM EDT
[#1]
CA law primer is posted at the top of CA HTF.

Scroll down. Look for the post by Paul posted: 10/16/2005 8:17:05 PM PDT
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 6:42:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Shit.  she has to register her pistol too?  How does she find out if her pistol is CA legal?
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 6:59:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Look for the approved handgun roster here:
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 12:24:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Look for the approved handgun roster here:
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/

If you move into CA your handgun dosent have to be on the list. It should be in the tacked topics at the top.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 8:27:58 AM EDT
[#6]
As far as keeping the shotgun/long gun in the car trunk she is fine as long as it is not loaded. (No it does not need to be in a locked case)

She can even keep it in the front of the car next to her with shells sitting next to it, as long as the shells are not loaded in the firearm.

I have kept a Winchester defender next to my seat for the last 10 or so years with the shells in the door pouch. But I am also out in the country about 30 minutes to town most of the time and not in a more populated city. The one time I was pulled over and got a ticket I simply pulled a jacket over it and made no reference to it being there. Long guns per Ca law are not considered concealable.

Where abouts is your sister moving to in Ca.

If she keeps it up front with her she needs to be mindful of laws concerning school zones. I think it is 1,000’ but have her read the exact text of the law so she is sure. Also check out Calguns website their is a lot of good info. regarding Ca crazy gun laws.
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 3:40:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I think she will be north of either LA or SD.

Link Posted: 8/15/2010 1:01:42 PM EDT
[#8]
You're going to want to be careful with school zones, especially in an urban environment like LA or SD.
http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Gun_Free_School_Zones
Apparently you can't have guns anywhere within 1000 feet of a k-12 school unlocked.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:12:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You're going to want to be careful with school zones, especially in an urban environment like LA or SD.
http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Gun_Free_School_Zones
Apparently you can't have guns anywhere within 1000 feet of a k-12 school unlocked.

Your trunk is considered a locked container though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:30:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Dont mean to hijack the thread but can you keep the shells in a side saddle/ stock saddle or is that consided loaded?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:44:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Dont mean to hijack the thread but can you keep the shells in a side saddle/ stock saddle or is that consided loaded?

It has been ruled unloaded for carry and transport.

FYI to anyone who thinks GFSZ only apply to handguns...plz read the federal law.  (@ off-grid)

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:05:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

FYI to anyone who thinks GFSZ only apply to handguns...plz read the federal law.  (@ off-grid)

I thought the Federal GFSZ got thrown out as beyond the bailiwick of the interstate commerce clause.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:56:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't mean to hijack the thread but can you keep the shells in a side saddle/ stock saddle or is that considered loaded?

FYI to anyone who thinks GFSZ only apply to handguns...plz read the federal law. (@ off-grid)

I thought the Federal GFSZ got thrown out as beyond the bailiwick of the interstate commerce clause

The Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990 was enacted as section 1702 of the Crime Control Act of 1990[url=#cite_note-0][1][/url] on November 29, 1990.

It was subsequently declared to be an unconstitutional exercise of Congressional authority under the Commerce Clause of the United States Constitution by the United States Supreme Court, and was therefore voided. This case, United States v. Lopez (1995), was the first time in over half a century that the Supreme Court limited Congressional authority to legislate under the Commerce Clause.

See also United States v. Morrison (2000), in which the U.S. Supreme Court also ruled that Congress lacked the authority to enact such laws even when there was evidence of aggregate effect.

Congress re-enacted the law in the GFSZ Act of 1996, following the Supreme Court's ruling adding wording placing the burden on the prosecutor to prove an additional element, that the "firearm has moved in or otherwise affects interstate commerce."[url=http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/gun_free_school_zones.txt][1][/url]. In re-enacting the law Congress did not address the Court's finding that "The possession of a gun in a local school zone is in no sense an economic activity that might, through repetition elsewhere, substantially affect any sort of interstate commerce." and "Section 922(q) is a criminal statute that by its terms has nothing to do with 'commerce' or any sort of economic enterprise, however broadly one might define those terms."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_School_Zones_Act_of_1990

the Morrison case http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Morrison

The law is still on the books, if you want to bet the farm on 5+ years of court cases and fighting all the way to the SCOTUS...go for it.  I will just lock my firearms when I pass through a school zone.  No one has ever told me 922(q) has been revoked.

There is good cause to fight it.  I hear there are many cities and counties in CA where it is immpossible to drive 1000ft (or 1300ft) without entering another zone.   I just don't have that kind of $$ or time, and I don't give advise to others thinking that they do.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:43:14 AM EDT
[#14]
CWDraco I see you specifically put me in parenthesis at the end of your statement.

Did I give the impression that I thought the law was only pertinent to handguns?

I don’t think I gave any advice that would put anyone in jeopardy. If you think I did please explain????
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:00:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

CWDraco I see you specifically put me in parenthesis at the end of your statement.

Did I give the impression that I thought the law was only pertinent to handguns?

I don’t think I gave any advice that would put anyone in jeopardy. If you think I did please explain????

Well I guess that depends of if 922(q) has been repealed.

(No it does not need to be in a locked case)

Wrong...yes it does if passing 1000ft from a school.

So while you said she had to be mindful of the GFSZ at the end of your post, your first statement said a shotgun doesnt have to be locked up.

I know I'm a dickhead sometimes.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:35:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah that’s pretty much why I typed the post all together and not in parts.

Parts of it could read wrong if someone were to just pick out bits and fail at reading the whole post.

Ie the last paragraph “If she keeps it up front with her she needs to be mindful of laws concerning school zones. I think it is 1,000’ but have her read the exact text of the law so she is sure”

And here I thought putting it last would make it kind of stand out and it would be plain enough english. Either that or I now know how some folks get some many posts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top