Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2010 8:30:18 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 9:10:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Very cool. Wow maybe if I spent about 10 grand on my explorer I MIGHT be able to go half the places you go in that Nissan. Nice truck, brave wife, looks like some great driving and camping!
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 5:02:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:01:19 AM EDT
[#3]
How much water was in the Mojave at the Afton Canyon?
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:58:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:57:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We didn't make the detour to finish that last ten miles or so of the trail down Afton Canyon to the crossing. Normally there's 18" worth ... now there's got to be a bunch more. There's not much room in that spot for the water to go wider so it's got to be deeper. We'd try it but not solo.

Ya I was wondering. I camp there every spring. I imagine it would really deep right now.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 2:12:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We didn't make the detour to finish that last ten miles or so of the trail down Afton Canyon to the crossing. Normally there's 18" worth ... now there's got to be a bunch more. There's not much room in that spot for the water to go wider so it's got to be deeper. We'd try it but not solo.

In all the times I've made the crossing there I've never seen more than about 18" there, even with the other two fords by the rr bridges almost impassable.  I've also seen it about that deep with no water in the other two fords.  I would be more concerned with getting over the middle ford.  They usually try to keep them passable for rr trucks that may need to get through.

If got a Railroads of Eastern California and Nevada that shows pictures of that area during and after the 1938 floods.  Water got deep enouigh to flow through what was then a RR tunnel at that point.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 2:13:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 4:07:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I  love the western United States plenty of great places to go see and do . FUN TIMES PAUL !
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 4:30:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Paul,

If you organize an ARFCOM SOCAL off roading/shooting/camping trip for retired CPOs and their asian wives, I'll be there.

Red Bucket

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Paul,

If you organize an ARFCOM SOCAL off roading/shooting/camping trip for retired CPOs and their asian wives, I'll be there.

Red Bucket

Hey, don't forget the Jarhead SNCOs and their Asian wives too!

I'm planning to do this trip the first week of April while my son is on spring break.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:32:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:04:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Is it legal to shoot anywhere out there along the trail?

How about loaded open carry?
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 10:59:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I did it all the time as a kid, when I lived in Mojave. The local officials usually just tell you no poaching....assess your gear...and then tell you to
be safe.

Of course, don't be surprised if they run everybody's name as a precaution. But, it's very relaxed as far as my experience with the LEO out there.

As for the OP:

Thanks for sharing your pics!!!
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:45:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya I was wondering. I camp there every spring. I imagine it would really deep right now.

I've crossed it a dozen times ... but every time I'm waiting to high center on some rouge 18" high rock.

So do you ever get up to Rouge Rock Canyon?
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:55:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

There are places along the trail that are no shooting areas, such as the Afton Canyon Recreation Area (Scenic area?), the normal restrictions as to roads and structures, etc.

I'm not sure about inside the National Monument areas.  I usually open carry all the time in the desert.

Afton Canyon at a rather low water level. That's where the water was stopping flowing, off to my right it was standing in ruts.

This is the middle ford where I have seen more people stuck.  The cut behind the bridge was a tunnel until daylighted after the 38 floods, when water actually came up and went through the tunnel.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:08:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 3:57:23 AM EDT
[#17]

Paul the lava tubes, how far do they reach?  Inside that is.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top