BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2009 5:39:43 PM EDT
To All

Guzzler project
   Sept 25-26-27, 2009

Hope everyone had a safe summer.

Summer is coming to a close and shortly the temperatures will start to drop. Hunting season is just around the corner and it would be a good thing to get in a repair project before hunting season gets into full swing.

I have received several calls about guzzler projects and Camp Cady projects. I received a call from Bob Burke and he pointed out five guzzlers located close to each other with easy access. These guzzlers are located off of Holleran Springs road. This would give several of you a chance to scout the area for birds before Oct opener.

Directions: These guzzlers are on BLM land. Take I-15 from Barstow to the Halleran Springs exit approx 73 miles (I believe its the 1st exit past Baker) turn left at the end of the off ramp, and go over the freeway, heading North/West. The Camping area is approx 1 mile from the freeway on Halleran Springs Road. The camping area will be on the left side of the road. The road to the camping area is OK for two wheel drive and RV's.

What we will do: We have five drinkers that we would like to finish. In order to accomplish this we will have to work our butt's off. I have never been to a guzzler project where all have not worked their butt's off so we SHOULD have no problems with finishing these guzzlers. We will leave the camp site around 11 am Friday morning and return around 6 pm, Sat and Sun we will leave around 8 am and return around 4 pm. Bring your drinks and lunch.

What to bring: We do not have access to water so if you can haul as much water as you can carry, this would really help out, five gallon jugs, 55 gal barrels, etc. It takes about 50 gals for each guzzler, this water is used to mix concrete, mortar and merlex. Any water that is left over we will use to fill the drinkers. If you want to bring a 60 lb bag of ready mix concrete or mortar this will help us out. We have all the tools needed. Bring a good flashlight and lantern, plus please bring your paper plates and silverware for dinner. If you have a folding table and EZ-UP please bring. Some firewood would also be a good thing to bring.

Food: This is just a little to far for our cooks to travel so.........Bob Burke has volunteered to cook Low Country Boil on Saturday night, cajun style cooking, shrimp, chicken, carrots, onions, corn on the cob, hot and mild smoked sausage, all cooked with beer and water with lots of spices. Several volunteers have enjoyed Bobs cooking and I have not heard of anyone being hospitalized. Friday night I will have elk chili (not hot) with bread. Saturday and Sunday morning we will have rolls and donuts. BRING YOUR OWN SNACKS, LUNCH FIXENS, AND DRINKS.

Weather: I am not a weatherman but I think we will be looking at mid 80's for the high and low 70's at night.

Raffle: We have lots of goodies, (thanks Nick) plus I am going to have a couple special items to raffle Saturday night. If anyone wants to add items to the raffle please bring and let us know so we can recognize you for your contribution. Jim Matthew has donated a Western Bird Subscription ($100 value) which will be given away Saturday night. Any and all money is used to buy materials and tools needed for these projects. Materials and tools costs to refurbish each drinker can run a high as $400.00.

Pets: Please, all pets must be under control at all times.

I enjoy meeting with you all on these projects, sitting around the camp fire, listening to the bull s&%^^&t, after a hard days work on the guzzlers I can't think of a better place to be. If you have any questions please contact me by email or give me a call.

Cliff McDonald
   760-326-2935
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top