Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2009 8:36:37 AM EDT
So, we all have AR's and some may have bullet buttons on them.  Big pain in the ass, especially when the zombies come.  However, somebody told me about this toy called Magnetix.  What the toy is, is a bunch of plastic parts that have magnets in the ends that you can put together and make stuff out of.  They also have cars and stuff, kind of like updated Legos.  Anyhoo, it just so happens that the magnets are the perfect size to fit in the bullet button.  So 2 magnets dropped into the hole on the bullet button stick out far enough that it makes it usable just like a normal mag drop.  Plus, the magnets come right out and can stick to the outside of the gun if you.

So, my question is, is this legal to do?  As far as I can see, the magnets are a tool, just like a screwdriver or a bullet tip.  The mag still can not be taken out w/o a tool, in this case the magnet.  The law doesn't say the tool can't be stuck the button, does it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetix
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 9:36:24 AM EDT
[#1]
this sounds like a bad idea.

i'm pretty sure i read about a californian who had attached a magnetic bullet tool to the lower and got in trouble for that.  i'm not sure what the outcome was, but it probably wasn't fun.

i know this doesn't help you if you're doing competitive shooting, but my take on the whole bullet button thing is this: get the one that can be quickly converted (radock?) back to a normal mag release.  that way if the SHTF, you're good to go in a second with a fully functional EBR.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 10:11:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I've actually had the same idea - use a magnet to operate the bullet button, store magnet on rifle. I didn't think Kinetix, I thought "remove the magnet from magnetized socket driver".

I haven't done it yet, but I would like to hear more opinions about this. The magnet is not a permenant attachment or permenant alteration of the bullet button, so I don't see how it could be interpreted as such.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 12:16:36 PM EDT
[#3]
It's really an interesting idea, but I'm sure CA DOJ will see the magnet as part of the rifle. I don't really think the method of attachment matters much to the law, whether it's screwed on, glued on or magnetically attached.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 1:14:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Get an AR Raddlock or a Bullet Button Wrench
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:48:08 PM EDT
[#5]
IANAL, but I think you're treading on some very shaky ground here, and shaky ground that could affect all the other CA AR owners.  The controlling CCR refers to a tool used to detach the magazine, and includes a bullet in the list of tools.  I think that when the tool becomes attached to the gun (whether by magnetism or by using a screw) then you have restored the gun to a configuration that allows the operator to detach the magazine in a fashion dangerously similar to a standard magazine release.  

This issue is similar to the current concern about the use of the Prince 50 kit.  As soon as you back the screw out and drop the mag, you've created an AW.

I would not recommend this.  The BB (without the wrench screwed in) or the Radlock are much more legally defensible configurations.  You might post this over on Calguns and see what the hive mind has to say.  There are some very knowledgeable folks over there.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:15:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Good call on Calguns.  I asked the question over and will let you guys know what they think.  If it is legal, it is great.  If not, oh well, maybe just something to keep on hand in case the SHTF and you don;t have the 5 minutes or so it takes to remove the BB.

ETA: The replies I have gotten so far at Calguns says no go.  They say that since it "attaches" to the rifle it becomes part of the rifle and the mag becomes detachable.  Kind of what I figured, but hey, a guy can hope.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:04:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I answered on Calguns:

The issue isn't that it is attached to the rifle, the issue is that it is now part of the magazine release assembly and it is the part that actually allows you to drop the magazine. It wouldn't be any different sticking one of these free lock  things inside your bullet button legally, in fact it would operate the same as using a larger magazine release button like this one below:

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:52:15 PM EDT
[#8]
check out the bullet button tool (red ) from Riflegear.com.  it can work as a tool or if you leave the state you can turn it 3 times and it screws on.

http://www.riflegear.com
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:23:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top