Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/22/2009 8:46:35 PM EDT
Is a G19 with 15 round mags legal in CA?

I'm thinking about letting her borrow my G19. It has 2 15 round mags. Any hoops she'l have to jump through?
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 10:12:53 AM EDT
[#1]
You can't bring mags over 10 rounds to CA
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 10:13:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

ok. I'll have to get some then.
Any info on the laws there?

Can she have it in the car? Loaded in the home?
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 10:14:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is a G19 with 15 round mags legal in CA?

I'm thinking about letting her borrow my G19. It has 2 15 round mags. Any hoops she'l have to jump through?

just probably jail.  CA is fucked up - in a car i think you have to have the weapon unloaded and the mag/ammo in a seperate, locked area of a vehicle.  others can enlighten if this is incorrect...plus you can only have 10rnd mags in CA to the best of my knowledge.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 10:14:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I think that all she will be able to "legally" carry in Californistan will be a "Slingshot"and Clay pellets.No more than 4 pellets in posession.
And they Must be Biodegradable.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 10:15:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Car - unloaded and locked up separate from ammo.
Home - no problem.

Ask over in the Cali HTF or on Calguns.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 10:16:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Loaded at home/hotel room/campsite is OK

In the car is not.

Link Posted: 3/19/2009 10:16:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Should have posted this in Cali Hometown Forum.  You'll get much better information.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 10:16:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think that all she will be able to "legally" carry in Californistan will be a "Slingshot"and Clay pellets.

She can have it loaded at home at least right?
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 10:16:20 AM EDT
[#9]
These are legal in CA right? You should get her one...

Quoted:
Should have posted this in Cali Hometown Forum.  You'll get much better information.

I agree, all you're going to get in GD are stupid responses like mine!
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 10:16:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/19/2009 10:16:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think that all she will be able to "legally" carry in Californistan will be a "Slingshot"and Clay pellets.

She can have it loaded at home at least right?

Yes.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 10:17:30 AM EDT
[#12]
This is probably one of those questions that should be asked in the California HTF.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 10:17:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Summary of CA gun laws in the Hometown forum at http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=11&t=212690

Short version:  The Glock is OK but don't bring any magazines that hold more than 10 rounds.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 10:32:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Leave it at home.. Cali is not really a gun freindly state and if she is not a resident it could end her in some deep shit... It suxs but just the way it is. We did the same thing when we went to NJ and NY, just left it at home.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 10:41:12 AM EDT
[#15]
It's damn near illegal to protect yourself in Kommiefornia. You'll get mixed results depending on where your g/f is going and what cities and counties she will be in.

Ex: A friend of mine lives in Redding, CA and the cops there nitpick and harass John Q Public for anything they can muster up. The department is full of crooked JBTs.
My friends uncle works for CHP and they steer clear of Redding PD. That's how bad it is.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 11:05:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Leave it at home.. Cali is not really a gun freindly state and if she is not a resident it could end her in some deep shit... It suxs but just the way it is. We did the same thing when we went to NJ and NY, just left it at home.

bullshit.

granted Im a CA refugee, but when I go back I go bring usually a pair of XDs.  Its a hassle flying with them, but I want the protection they provide, even if I can only legally have it loaded in my dwelling.

Dont bring your high caps, pick up a clinton klip or two there, and have a good time.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 11:09:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Wait a minute.
Why is she coming here?
I thought Texans would rather die before coming to California.
We don't need anymore Austin libs here.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 11:11:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any handgun brought into CA has to be registered with the state within 10 60 days of entering the state.

She cannot keep it loaded in her car.

She can have it loaded in the home.

ETA: Edited for accuracy.

Any person who moves into California as a new resident and who brings any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person is considered to be a "Personal Handgun Importer". Within sixty days the new resident must do one of the following:

A.     Complete and submit a NEW RESIDENT HANDGUN OWNERSHIP REPORT form FD 4010A, downloadable at http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ab991frm.pdf , to the California Department of Justice Bureau of Firearms together with the processing fee indicated on the form.

B.     Sell or transfer the handgun to a California licensed firearms dealer, or to another person through a California dealer,

C.     Sell or transfer the handgun(s) to a California police or sheriff's department.

CAUTION:  Some varieties of semiautomatic pistols cannot be brought into California by new residents because they have been classified as Assault Weapons, see CALIFORNIA ASSAULT WEAPONS below.

Failure to report imported handguns as required could result in criminal prosecution for violation of Penal Code Section 12072(g), a misdemeanor, with a possible penalty of up to six months imprisonment in the county jail, or by a fine not exceeding $1,000, or by both such imprisonment and fine. In addition, the importer should expect forfeiture of handguns not reported.  

All the info you need to know can be found here:
http://www.gunlaw.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=40&Itemid=28

Link Posted: 3/19/2009 11:18:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any gun brought into CA has to be registered with the state within 10 days of entering the state.

Unless the law has changed, it is 60 days to register a handgun, not 10.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 11:19:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any gun brought into CA has to be registered with the state within 10 days of entering the state.

Unless the law has changed, it is 60 days to register a handgun, not 10.

See my edit.

My mistake.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 11:22:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 11:22:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Ever been to CA or are you just repeating something you read on the internets?

Brian

Link Posted: 3/19/2009 11:24:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Visitors need not register anything.

Depends how long she is "visiting" for.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 11:26:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It's damn near illegal to protect yourself in Kommiefornia. You'll get mixed results depending on where your g/f is going and what cities and counties she will be in.

Ex: A friend of mine lives in Redding, CA and the cops there nitpick and harass John Q Public for anything they can muster up. The department is full of crooked JBTs.
My friends uncle works for CHP and they steer clear of Redding PD. That's how bad it is.

It should be illegal to make stupid statements on the internet.....  Do you have any personal experience regarding CA and self-defense?

You're right, I've heard every cop in Redding pulls over law abiding John Q. Public without RS and searches the car without PC or consent looking for a single marijuana seed.....

Brian

Link Posted: 3/19/2009 11:26:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 11:27:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 11:27:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe it would depend on if she is qualifies as a "resident" instead of a visitor.  

Brian

Link Posted: 3/19/2009 11:31:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Please check the laws.  From what I understand from other threads is that the separation of ammo from the locked firearm is not required.  The firearm can not have any ammunition attached to it in anyway, i.e. shotgun shell carrier.  I also understand you can open carry a pistol as long as the loaded magazine is not contained in or on the pistol.  You can carry the loaded magazine on your person separate from the firearm.

Again verify the laws, you can carry a handgun in a locked container on your person or within a vehicle.  The glove box does not count as a locked container and the locked container does not need to be in the trunk.  The magazine does not have to be stored in a separate location from the locked firearm as long as it is not contained or attached to the handgun.

When open carrying a handgun the police have the right under law to inspect the firearm to verify it has no ammuntion within or attached to it.  The police do not have the right to do anything more than inspect for an empty firearm.

Check the HTF for CA Open Carry Meet thread.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 11:33:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Clue me in. You said any gun brought into the state has to be registered, and that's not true.  

See my above post. It has been corrected and now accurately reflects the law. If she plans on moving / visiting CA for 60 days or long, the handgun must be registered.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 11:37:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe it would depend on if she is qualifies as a "resident" instead of a visitor.  

Brian

I guess it depends on how you interpret or define residency.

Some would call residency simply residing in the state for a set period of time. Others might define residency as requiring additional criteria.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 11:37:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Can you legally let her borrow a handgun?  In PA I don't believe that is permitted so I wouldn't think you can do that in CA.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 11:40:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Travel nurse. She'll be there 13 weeks.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 11:45:30 AM EDT
[#33]

Get her a nice compact 1911 like a Defender. No worries about hi-cap mag hijinx and solid personal proetection.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 11:49:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Since you are pretty much stuck in the home I would get her a nice pump shotgun and 12ga buckshot...
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 12:06:32 PM EDT
[#36]

I love Cali bashing threads...

I'm not sure what is better, the ignorance of the people who know nothing about the state, or the whinyness of the cali people over being bashed... It is a toss up...
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 12:07:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Travel nurse. She'll be there 13 weeks.

The fact that she will be there longer than 60 days, and is moving to CA to accept employment, I would say registration would become necessary.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 12:08:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You have no idea what you are talking about huh?
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 12:09:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brian

I guess it depends on how you interpret or define residency.

Some would call residency simply residing in the state for a set period of time. Others might define residency as requiring additional criteria.

In the case of automobile registration there are specific definitions for "resident" in the CA Vehicle Code - registering to vote, accepting full time employement, etc.  I suspect the same/similar criteria would be used regarding firearms but I'm not positive.

Brian

Link Posted: 3/19/2009 12:10:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That is just not true...
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 12:11:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'm not sure what is better, the ignorance of the people who know nothing about the state, or the whinyness of the cali people over being bashed... It is a toss up...

The ignorance of people is FAR funnier, as they KNOW the laws.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 12:12:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Says the hayseed from Kansas.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 12:20:25 PM EDT
[#43]
I knew i was gonna get flak by the way I worded my statement. Like it said, YMMV depending on where you are visiting. RIF my friend.
While the it may be perfectly legal to oc or ccw depending on your location (referring to both geological and property) the local LEO's might not like what you are doing and come up with some bullshit reasoning to detain/arrest/fine the ever loving shit out of you.

And yes, I do have first hand experience with over zealous JBT's in Norcal. I learned very quickly to not make eye contact, engage in polite conversation, etc unless you wanted to be bitched at, questioned and treated like a criminal for 20 + mins.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 12:23:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Says the hayseed from Kansas.

Right, since a person from the midwest couldn't possibly have any first hand experience with what happens or is happening on the west coast.... Give me a fucking break
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 12:27:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Where in the People's Republic is she going?  Most of the PRK ( outside of major urban areas ) is relatively safe.  If she is going to be working in Oakland or Watts that is different.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 4:20:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Car - unloaded and locked up separate from ammo.
Home - no problem.

Ask over in the Cali HTF or on Calguns.

But if he asks there we don't get the entertaining BS answers from out of state.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 4:22:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Can you legally let her borrow a handgun?  In PA I don't believe that is permitted so I wouldn't think you can do that in CA.

Well at least you're right on the not thinking part.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 4:24:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Let's see isn't NC where you have to entertain the County Sheriff to get a permit to buy a pistol even before the background check?
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 4:24:48 PM EDT
[#49]
I take a pistol every time I go to CA.  In  the vehicle it gets locked in a metal box.  In the campsite and out looking for snakes it gets loaded.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 4:26:50 PM EDT
[#50]
You Californians are so hopelessly used to being shit on, you don't even realize how pathetic your "it's not that bad here" line sounds..

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top