Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2008 9:27:51 PM EDT

Can a father gift his 18 son/daughter a handgun legally?
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 10:55:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, I do believe that they'll need an HSC, however.

They'll likely have to DROS it as well, the paper for this can be found at the CA DOJ webpage, and there's a $19 fee to process it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 11:15:32 PM EDT
[#2]
There is no DROS involved, since there is no dealer involved.

This can only be done if both the parent and child are residents of California (the intrafamilial transfer for off-list pistols can't work because a dealer is prohibited form delivering a handgun to soeone under 21 years old).

The child will need to get a Handgun Safety Certificate before being gifted the gun. Once it is gifted (no high-cap magazines) send in an intrafamilial transfer form (available on DOJ's website) along with the ap[propriate fee ($19, I think).

It'll take about 6-8 weeks, but they'll send you a confirmation of registration.
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 3:19:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

This can only be done if both the parent and child are residents of California (the intrafamilial transfer for off-list pistols can't work because a dealer is prohibited form delivering a handgun to soeone under 21 years old).

The child will need to get a Handgun Safety Certificate before being gifted the gun. Once it is gifted (no high-cap magazines) send in an intrafamilial transfer form (available on DOJ's website) along with the ap[propriate fee ($19, I think).

It'll take about 6-8 weeks, but they'll send you a confirmation of registration.
Can you please show me where this is documented in the Calif DOJ website
ag.ca.gov/firearms/
I can't seem to find what you are describing or the form.
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 4:47:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you please show me where this is documented in the Calif DOJ website
ag.ca.gov/firearms/
I can't seem to find what you are describing or the form.
Okay, I found it, it is in the FAQ section on the left side of the page in the above Calif DOJ website:

Calif DOJ Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ)

Can I give a firearm to my adult child? Can he/she give it back to me later?
Yes, as long as the adult child receiving the firearm is not in a prohibited category  [PDF 10 kb / 1 pg] and the firearm is a legal firearm to possess, the transfer of a firearm between a  parent and child or a grandparent and grandchild is exempt from the dealer transfer requirement.  However, if the firearm is a handgun, you must submit an Report of Operation of Law or Intra-Familial Handgun Transaction  [PDF 481 kb / 2 pg] and $19 fee to the DOJ within 30 days.  Assault weapons may not be transferred in this fashion.  See Penal Code section 12285, subdivision (b).

(PC section 12078(c))

The required .PDF form that needs to be filled out is in the above link.

leelaw: You were right on the $19 fee. -- Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top