Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2008 5:20:41 PM EDT
Does a mini 14 run along the same quidelines as say an AR.  I may be purchasing a mini from a co-worker, but he got it pre ban and it has a folding stock and pistol grip.  Its the synthetic black folder.  Would I have to change that to a standard rifle stock in order to make it a legal purchase? I don't particularly like the folding stock anyway.  what other things will I have to look out for?  As far as mag lock or no mag lock.  What would you suggest is a good buying price?  I know nothing about mini 14's so excuse my iggnorance.  Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 5:56:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Remove the pistol grip and folding stock and you'll have a zero feature rifle to which you can use any magazines that you owned prior to the December 1999 ban. IIRC you can not buy any magazines with the rifle >10 rounds. Don't forget to cut the flash suppressor off the thing if it's got one.

i104.photobucket.com/albums/m168/AR-15_Paul/Rifles/Mini-14Muzzle.jpg

No there is no flash supressor, any idea a good place to look for replacement stocks?
I found this on gunsamerica, its exactly this setup.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:12:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Make sure your co-worker knows that his mini-14 is in an illegal configuration for California; the fact that he owned it in that configuration pre-ban doesn't make it legal.  Unless of course he registerred it as an AW back then in which case you can't purchase it from him.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:37:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Make sure your co-worker knows that his mini-14 is in an illegal configuration for California; the fact that he owned it in that configuration pre-ban doesn't make it legal.  Unless of course he registerred it as an AW back then in which case you can't purchase it from him.

Yeah I know, he said he cant remember if he bought the folder after the fact or not.  But he doesn't have the original stock.  I talked to a dealer out here and he told me the only way to get it from him legally would be to remove the stock and istall a standard stock and have it unregistered as an AW if infact it is registered as an AW.  If its not registered as an AW, i'll have to remove the stock and I can have it transfered stockless, then install a standard stock later.  I don't even Like the folder so it should work out ok.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:52:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Now that you have 'outed' your friend and exposed him to possible legal action (there is no privacy on the Net!) you should IMMEDIATELY have him remove the barreled action from the stock (and perhaps keep it well separate).  

He should NOT transport the gun anywhere (smith, friends house, etc.)  to remove the stock, that could land him in deeper trouble.

[The above does not erase the prior crime of illegal AW possession, it just raises the proof threshold.]

i'll have to remove the stock and I can have it transfered
stockless, then install a standard stock later

Oh jeezus NO.

I'm betting doofus doesn't know it's an illegal AW and that it's thus likely not a reg'd AW.

If it IS a reg'd AW (and this does not mean DROS/4473, it means special AW registration was filed w/DOJ during 2000 along with ~$20 fee).

A Category III ("by features") registered AW can be deregistered once evil features are removed.  It can then be transferred like an ordinary long gun/action.

DON'T TOUCH IT YOURSELF, DAMMIT  ... other than as a barreled action.  

Don't help him remove it.   Don't be on the same premises with him during his period of illegal possession.  

Meet him at the transfer FFL gunshop where you are fully expecting to transfer a barreled action from him to you, period.  

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:31:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Now that you have 'outed' your friend and exposed him to possible legal action (there is no privacy on the Net!) you should IMMEDIATELY have him remove the barreled action from the stock (and perhaps keep it well separate).  

He should NOT transport the gun anywhere (smith, friends house, etc.)  to remove the stock, that could land him in deeper trouble.

[The above does not erase the prior crime of illegal AW possession, it just raises the proof threshold.]

i'll have to remove the stock and I can have it transfered
stockless, then install a standard stock later

Oh jeezus NO.

I'm betting doofus doesn't know it's an illegal AW and that it's thus likely not a reg'd AW.

If it IS a reg'd AW (and this does not mean DROS/4473, it means special AW registration was filed w/DOJ during 2000 along with ~$20 fee).

A Category III ("by features") registered AW can be deregistered once evil features are removed.  It can then be transferred like an ordinary long gun/action.

DON'T TOUCH IT YOURSELF, DAMMIT  ... other than as a barreled action.  

Don't help him remove it.   Don't be on the same premises with him during his period of illegal possession.  

Meet him at the transfer FFL gunshop where you are fully expecting to transfer a barreled action from him to you, period.  

Bill Wiese
San Jose

That would be my plan, transfer it as a barreled action.  Or if it is a registered AW have him unregister it as an AW.  Don't worry, I'll be covering my bases.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top