Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2006 7:20:27 AM EDT
Hello. I'm very new to the whole AR thing right now (and to the forums). I just recently found out that I can build my own and have one legal in California, as long as I take precautions to "neuter" it so to speak. I've been pouring over some of the threads and searching to answer some of my basic concerns, but there is one that I can't seem to find much info on (unless I missed it).

I was talking with a guy at a gun shop and he told me that I could use a mag lock from sportingconversions.com to fix the magazine in place, thus being "permanant." He said since it would take a tool to undo the lock, it's legal. Is this true? I just don't want to dump all my money on a setup and either have it be illegal, or have it welded where it'd be a pain to undo if/when I ever leave the state (like I go to Oregon a lot, and it'd be nice to use my wife's families high capactiy mags on it). Thanks so much, and I look forward to becomming a part of the forums

~Eric
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:03:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy one of Darin's mag locks (prince50).  I have a couple and they work great.  Depending on where you live, you can actually pick them up in some gun stores.  It is a matter of turning a screw with small allen wrench and it is unneutered.  You can go from kali-compliant, to the fully functional with the turn of a key(tool).
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 9:01:03 AM EDT
[#2]
The Sporting Conversions (or any secure nut/bolt kit, perhaps with a bit of ThreadLok), I think, is a legally 'cleaner' method than something that even more rapidly has ability to rapidly detach/ reinstall.   While other ideas are great engineering trickery, I feel that we should stay on the bright side of the line and obey at least some of the spirit of CCR 978.20(a).  

The mantra "tools and time" keeps you safe.

You don't want it to appear 'too easy', regardless of requiring tool - expect significant attention here, and remember that this fixed mag attribute is what keeps you out of the 12276.1 definition of assault weapon.  The appearance of "being cleaner than Caesar's wife" applies here.  This could be important and may save a trial.

THERE IS SIMPLY NO RATIONAL REASON TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO QUICKLY DETACH A MAG ON AN OFF-LIST RIFLE IN CALIFORNIA.

If you can't spend the 1 min removing or reassembling the fixed mag as you cross the border to/from Nevada, you must be really pressed for time.  

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:40:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I dont' want to use the lock to quickly undo it if/when I cross state lines. I just dont' want a welded clip or something so permanant that it's a PITA to clean up. I figured the allen wrench, thread lock will keep it tight and locked while I'm shooting away here in Cali, but if I go up to Oregon, I can take the time to remove the lock, while not ruining the rifle.

~Eric

I'm also having a hard time at the moment finding a gun shop that will transfer a stripped reciever to me... They're all so nervous when I ask the question. it's kind of funny. . . but not if I can't find one that will get one for me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:04:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I dont' want to use the lock to quickly undo it if/when I cross state lines. I just dont' want a welded clip or something so permanant that it's a PITA to clean up. I figured the allen wrench, thread lock will keep it tight and locked while I'm shooting away here in Cali, but if I go up to Oregon, I can take the time to remove the lock, while not ruining the rifle.

OK, then the Sporting Conversions kit will do just fine.   Use a lockwasher and some ThreadLok just for safety's sake. No need to weld and ruin receiver.  You will be fully compliant with the converse of the definition of detachable magazine in CCR 978.20(a).

I'm also having a hard time at the moment finding a gun shop that will transfer a stripped reciever to me... They're all so nervous when I ask the question. it's kind of funny. . . but not if I can't find one that will get one for me.

Where are you located?   Go to Calguns.net  and go to the "Gun Rights, Political, Legal" forum, and then into the "AR/AK Forum" under that.  Ask around.  You'll likely find a dealer that has lowers in stock, or will order for you, in driving range.

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top