Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2006 4:31:18 PM EDT
Wednesday, March 29, 2006
Deputies union endorses Hunt
The action is a blow to Sheriff Mike Carona.

By NORBERTO SANTANA JR.
The Orange County Register

SANTA ANA — Sheriff Mike Carona has lost the powerful endorsement of the county’s largest law enforcement union, which represents more than 2,000 sheriff’s deputies.
In a tight count tonight, Lt. Bill Hunt, who is vying to deny Carona a third term, came out on top with 683 votes, seconded by Carona’s 625.

“You’re seeing here the frustration of the men and women in the department,” Hunt said. “They’re saying, ‘We can do better.’ ”

Two other candidates in the sheriff’s election received significantly weaker support. Los Angeles sheriff’s Cmdr. Ralph Martin, who lives in Coto de Caza, got 105 votes. Retired Los Angeles sheriff’s Sgt. Bob Alcaraz had five.

It’s the second high-profile endorsement loss for Carona. A week ago, he failed to win the backing of the local Republican Party.

Carona has been stung in recent years by scandals involving two of his top assistant sheriffs, George Jaramillo and Don Haidl. Jaramillo has been indicted on charges of committing several felonies while serving as Carona’s second in command. Haidl resigned two years ago after his son was involved in a highly publicized rape case.

The endorsement of the Association of Orange County Deputy Sheriffs brings the Hunt campaign the possibility of a cash infusion as well as campaign volunteers. It’s also an important name brand in any election.

“The endorsement of our organization carries a lot of weight in votes,” general manager Bob Macleod said.

The union’s political action committee soon will have to decide how much money to put behind Hunt’s campaign.

Carona supporters were clearly not happy about losing the endorsement but acknowledged its impact.

“They’ll certainly give Mr. Hunt a shot in the arm,” said John Lewis, Carona’s campaign manager.

Lewis said that the union didn’t endorse Carona when he first ran in 1998 and that today’s vote signals “it’s a split department.”

“What’s important to keep in mind is that he has the majority of the employees in the department supporting him,” Lewis said.

Earlier this month, the Orange County Employees Association, which represents nearly 2,000 workers in the department, endorsed Carona. And Lewis noted that virtually every elected official in Orange County is backing Carona.

Hunt campaign strategist Tim Whitacre said the deputies’ vote makes a big distinction between the two. Carona may have elected officials and general employees behind him, but Hunt’s supporters wear badges.

“This speaks loudly,” Whitacre said. “If a commanding officer is doing his job right, he’s going to command the respect and trust of his troops. And they’ll stand solidly with him.”

“This vote tonight clearly shows that there is a severe lack of confidence in Mike Carona as their sheriff.”

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:18:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Get ready for some more Samantha Runion memorials...
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:44:54 AM EDT
[#2]
A friend of mine who just took his CCW renewal class said the instructor told him if Hunt wins you can kiss the CCW permits in OC good bye.

I have not seen Hunt's official position on the issue though.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:11:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Anyone know the Association of Orange County Deputy Sheriffs' position on gun control?

Most chiefs and sheriffs (elected or political appointees) support gun control.

Most rank and file cops oppose it.

It would be interesting to see what the position is of unions that represent rank and file cops.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:16:17 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Sherriff Carona is pro-gun.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:50:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sherriff Carona is pro-gun.

I know that.  But Chief and Sheriff associations are inevitibly in favor of gun control.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:35:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't know about his politics, but Hunt denifintely knows his way around guns.  He's former SWAT, and the deputies in his division have to present their actual qualification targets (not just their pass slips).

Corona has made some token appearances at matches.  I think he showed up at a cowboy shoot in Norco once.

or so I've heard...
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:19:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Don't know about his politics, but Hunt denifintely knows his way around guns.  He's former SWAT, and the deputies in his division have to present their actual qualification targets (not just their pass slips).

Corona has made some token appearances at matches.  I think he showed up at a cowboy shoot in Norco once.

or so I've heard...

Caromna HOSTED shoot, I think I went to two or maybe three.

I only won a Glock Fotee at the fitst one, though.

That's right, at a fundraiser for Carona, the prizes were pistols.

Inuendo and possible dirty laundry aside, I'm going to miss him.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:10:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Don't know about his politics, but Hunt denifintely knows his way around guns.  He's former SWAT, and the deputies in his division...

Hunt is not in charge of a "division."  He is a Lt in charge of a contract city.  Which would make him the equivilent of a small town chief of police.

I believe OCSD divisions are commanded by Captains not Lt's.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:38:33 PM EDT
[#9]
When do they vote for a new Sheriff?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:13:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Alright, it's official.  I'm 100% behind Bill Hunt.  Here's the reason why:

OC Sherrif's thread from Calguns
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:56:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm impressed that Lt Hunt would post on Calguns.  I just read through his website and was pretty impressed.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:33:14 PM EDT
[#12]
That's a huge plus for me to vote for him. What's interesting is last time I remember seeing more then 2K CCW issued in OC, now it's only 1200? Wondering why such a big drop now.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:51:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Alright, it's official.  I'm 100% behind Bill Hunt.  Here's the reason why:

OC Sherrif's thread from Calguns

I made this into its' own thread so more members could see it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top