Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2006 9:23:20 AM EDT
I was sifting throught the CAL DOJ regulations online and came upon this regulation on their website:

12083. (a) A person who is licensed as a dealer, importer, manufacturer, or collector of firearms, pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto, and whose licensed premises are within this state, shall, within 30 days of the date of issuance of the license, provide a copy of the license with an original signature of the licensee to the Department of Justice in a manner to be determined by the department. If the date of issuance of the license is prior to January 1, 2004, the person shall provide a copy of the license with the original signature to the department no later than February 1, 2004.
(b) A violation of this section is punishable as an infraction.
(c) Any costs incurred by the department to implement this section and to implement the amendments made to Section 12071 by the act which enacted this section shall be funded from the Dealers' Record of Sale Special Account, as set forth in subdivision (g) of Section 12076, upon appropriation by the Legislature.

Does this mean I must send a signed copy to the DOJ? If so, what is the correct process to do so. This is the first time I have heard of this. I got my C&R FFL last week so I have plenty of time to send it in if I have to.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:15:54 AM EDT
[#1]
No money has been appropriated to fund the DOJ implementation so implementation is suspended until they have the funds.

I would suggest calling the Firearms Division at DOJ to settle any apprehension about that section of the Penal Code rather than taking my word for it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:53:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the information!

I sent an email to the DOJ yesterday asking about the regulation, so i'll post what they respond with. If I dont hear from them in a few days, I'll just call them up.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:48:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Please do follow up, I'm getting my C&R soon.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:38:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I just got a response back from the DOJ!

here is the text from the email:

Dear -----------:

When this was enacted into law, no funding was provided to maintain a computerized database.  So the requirement was null and void upon delivery.  You are not required to send us your C&R collector's license.

Sally Carney, Field Representative
Firearms Division
(916) 263-4887

So it looks like we don't have to worry about it, the law is not being enforced.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:43:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I just sent off my C&R application. Would you forward that email to me? outtasite_100"at"yahoo.com. I'd like to have it just in case. No sense making our overworked DOJ employees do the same letter twice!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top