Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2006 9:21:03 AM EDT
TAPCO makes a muzzle brake for the SKS 59/66 that looks like the grenade launcher, but doesn't retain the functionality. Is this legal in CA?

www.tapco.com/product_information.asp?number=SKS6627&back=yes&dept=178&last=9
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:36:08 AM EDT
[#1]
The grenade launcher has been ruled a destructive device by the DOJ, making it illegal for non-permit holders. If the device couldn't launch a granade, I doubt it could be a DD. Also to make it function as a launcher, you would need the gas port shut off on the SKS, So installing this brake on a regular Chinese or Russian SKS shouldn't be an issue.

Looking more closely at the piture, the side porting of this brake would keep it from being able to devolop the pressures needed to launch anything.

Paging Bill W. for a more informed opinion...........
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:39:21 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The grenade launcher has been ruled a destructive device by the DOJ, making it illegal for non-permit holders. If the device couldn't launch a granade, I doubt it could be a DD. Also to make it function as a launcher, you would need the gas port shut off on the SKS, So installing this brake on a regular Chinese or Russian SKS shouldn't be an issue.

Looking more closely at the piture, the side porting of this brake would keep it from being able to devolop the pressures needed to launch anything.

Paging Bill W. for a more informed opinion...........

Yeah I know, but I have a 59/66 SKS w/grenade launcher on the barrel. This would be a nice way to replace it while retaining the look of the grenade launcher.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:55:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I think if the GL were incapable of launching grenades (i.e., different diameter, etc.) it's be OK.
It's not a GL if it can't launch grenades.  Get rid of it and run a bare muzzle or find a brake that can serve as thread protector.

It, however, is still a GL  even if  the GL gas port stuff has been disabled, so that's irrelevant.

My Cali-legal Yugo SKS has a tube welded over GL.

Bill Wiese
San Jose
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:53:29 AM EDT
[#4]
"Technically" it's a 22mm restriction. But, instead of measuring, a CAL-DOJ agent was seen at a local gun shop trying to force a practice grenade onto an oversize SKS brake by wedging the stock against a counter and banging on the end of the practice grenade.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:30:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I plan on using one of Rick's brakes on my new 59/66.

http://ricksmuzzlebrakesandgunstuff.com/
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:11:46 PM EDT
[#6]

On the M59/66, how hard is it to removed the stock grenade launcher? Does it simply unscrew, or is it held on more permanently?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:50:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Rumor has it if it is simply pinned all you need to do is to knock the pin out and unscrew. Others are mentioning some have found that theirs were soldered on and if thats the case you'd need to use a torch to remove it.

here is some info from surplus rifle.

http://surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/grlaunchremove/index.asp
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top