Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2006 11:52:23 AM EDT
I'm confused on CA gun laws, they're about as cryptic as MA laws. Do I have to register my handguns that I bring into the state with me?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:43:04 PM EDT
[#1]
when you move here you have 90 days to register the handguns with the DOJ.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:38:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:59:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Any person who moves into California and who brings any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person is considered to be a "Personal Handgun Importer" and is required to do one of the following within 60 days:

Freakin idiot law writers, what the hell is a "firearm capable of being concealed upon the person"? You can conceal anything if you try hard enough! Is there a list out there?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:01:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Any person who moves into California and who brings any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person is considered to be a "Personal Handgun Importer" and is required to do one of the following within 60 days:

Freakin idiot law writers, what the hell is a "firearm capable of being concealed upon the person"? You can conceal anything if you try hard enough! Is there a list out there?

Don't worry about a list (for this).   Handgun = firearm capable of being concealed.  Long guns do not fall into these categories.

If you move here, submit a New Resident Handgun Ownership Report within 60 days- form is available on DOJ website - and you have to pay $19/gun.

Do NOT import any hicap (more than 10rd) magazines for any gun.  Do not bring in handguns with threaded barrels as they are assault weapons (i.e., unmodified Walther P22s or HK USP Tacticals).  Do not bring in any assault weapons (this only includes conventionally-stocked detachable magazine semiauto rifles like M1As and Mini14s if they have flash hiders).

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:11:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And the funny thing is, some handguns are harder than some longguns to conceal. Can anyone say Magnum Research BFR in .500S&W?

The basic rule of thumb is register all handguns. If you needed to register anything else, you would know it (like SBRs, SBSs, etc). I know the DOJ encourages people to register their longguns, but it's not required (and is almost always advised against). Just don't bring any AWs, or NFA weapons, and you should be ok. If you really want to CYA you could post a list of all weapons (firearm or not) you intend to bring into the state and we can tell you what are good and what aren't, or if you would rather it remain hush hush you can IM me the list and I will tell you anything I know of that can't be brought in (I can't say I know all the laws, but I will be able to tell you right off the bat it is illegal or not, or give you directions on where to find out for 95% of whatever you list).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top