Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2006 3:03:19 PM EDT
If any of you are looking for a job, the Irvine Police Department in Orange County is looking for an armorer for their department. Info (pdf)

-d
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:10:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn that sucks. I am going to be moving soon (probably more LA area) when I get married and I was thinking of looking into a job like that. Now if only it were 6 months later.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:51:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Damn that sucks. I am going to be moving soon (probably more LA area) when I get married and I was thinking of looking into a job like that. Now if only it were 6 months later.

Apply now, it'll probably take a while to get in anyways.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:56:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Definitely apply now... Testing with LE agencies is usually pretty slow.

-d
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#4]
That sounded like a really good idea, until I found out I needed a "degree in Criminal Justice, Criminology, or related field."

I guess I will just need to find work in a regular gun shop when I move; or a machine shop and do it in my free time.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:12:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
That sounded like a really good idea, until I found out I needed a "degree in Criminal Justice, Criminology, or related field."

I guess I will just need to find work in a regular gun shop when I move; or a machine shop and do it in my free time.

Pfshh fuck that. Apply anyways. If you're confident enough to think you can be an armorer for a PD go for it. You don't need any of that stuff to be a cop, just a GED. All depends on the department for the "extras". So why would it matter for an armorer? Is your CJ training going to help you clean a gun? Plus you're a freaking gun nut and have the shit to back it up. Look at some of the projects that you've done, how many other people have done that?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:33:07 PM EDT
[#6]
damn it, stop tempting me!

I'll bring it up with my fiancee and see what she says. I KNOW I have the knowledge and ability to do any hard modifications to any firearm if I am told what to do (I am so advanced and ahead of everyone else in my machining classes that they are having me do projects with aeorspace tolerances. If you have ever worked with metal then you will know what perfectly flat, perfectly square, perfectly parallel, and within less than .001 of an inch is). I have the basic understanding with firearms that within 15 minutes of holding a gun I can tell you exactly what each function of the gun is, and every gun I have ever owned has been stripped down to spare parts and rebuilt, almost all the time simply by looking at it. I would LOVE a job like this, and it will only be an hour drive from where she wants to go for law school (Pepperdine). The only problem is I have no experience in the field, of course by the time I would be able to take the job I will have like 3 certificates in machining (Machining Standards, CNC, and one other that I forget right now).

It is very tempting...

ETA: I just realized that if I did work for a PD that had a SWAT team they would pretty much HAVE to give me a AW license if they wanted me to maintain their firearms.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:53:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Before I found the right woman - a beautiful and loving woman from Thailand - I dated several dozen women in about a dozen different states and countries and I had no intention of getting married to them ... just for practice.  

A lot of guys practice, and often, but they don't need a woman for that.

I actually have a suit, and dress shoes that fit (ok, the suit needs a LITTLE tailoring). Like I said, I will take it up with my fiancee and go over all the aspects of it. It sounds like a good job, and after all everyone has no experience at one point, so why not start there with me? Like I said, I am sure I could do the job, and anything I didn't know I could easily and rapidly learn. Should the fact that it says it's a senior position bother me any? They aren't looking for someone to head the armorer's department or anything like that, are they? Even if I don't seriously apply I will fill it all out and at least practice, as you said I need to practice. I guess that means I should go pick up my diploma, it's only been about 4 years, they should still remember me....I hope.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:19:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Before I found the right woman - a beautiful and loving woman from Thailand - I dated several dozen women in about a dozen different states and countries and I had no intention of getting married to them ... just for practice.  

A lot of guys practice, and often, but they don't need a woman for that.

I actually have a suit, and dress shoes that fit (ok, the suit needs a LITTLE tailoring). Like I said, I will take it up with my fiancee and go over all the aspects of it. It sounds like a good job, and after all everyone has no experience at one point, so why not start there with me? Like I said, I am sure I could do the job, and anything I didn't know I could easily and rapidly learn. Should the fact that it says it's a senior position bother me any? They aren't looking for someone to head the armorer's department or anything like that, are they? Even if I don't seriously apply I will fill it all out and at least practice, as you said I need to practice. I guess that means I should go pick up my diploma, it's only been about 4 years, they should still remember me....I hope.

I dunno but I know a guy that is a cop down in the LA area somewhere and doubles as the PD armorer.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:18:31 PM EDT
[#10]
If anything, call the dept and ask for the recruiter. Ask them about what the job entails and give them a run down of what you've done and can do and go from there. One of their investigators is teaching a class I'm in right now. That is how I found out about the position. The Irvine PD used to be the only agency in the OC that required a BS/BA for it's officers. They relaxed that requirement in the last few years. The city is one of the safest in the US everytime the lists come out.

As for the hour away from Pepperdine... that maybe more like 2 hours if it during traffic.

-d

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:31:59 AM EDT
[#11]
to be a cop you dont need ANYTHING but a GED or HS diploma

However support staff is usually different, you need some practical experience as there is no academy to send you through.

A few years in a machine shop sounds like it would do it for this position.

But try anyways, you never know. LE agencies hire some wierd people for these positions sometimes.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:39:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

However support staff is usually different, you need some practical experience as there is no academy to send you through.

But try anyways, you never know. LE agencies hire some wierd people for these positions sometimes.

Depends on the agency, but IPD requires a college degree for officers.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:41:58 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Depends on the agency, but IPD requires a college degree for officers.

They require an AA... they used to require a BS/BA though.

-d
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:44:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Irvine PD used to pride itself on a mature educated police force.  they werte much more likely to hire guys in their 30's with masters degrees than guys just out of the military or college. That may have changed.

That said department armorers are not usually cops. You're a warehouse worker and part time gunsmith. If that appeals to you then go for it.  Or join the USMC and be a 2111.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:16:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Irvine PD used to pride itself on a mature educated police force.  they werte much more likely to hire guys in their 30's with masters degrees than guys just out of the military or college. That may have changed.

That said department armorers are not usually cops. You're a warehouse worker and part time gunsmith. If that appeals to you then go for it.  Or join the USMC and be a 2111.

I was a parental signature away from joining the USMC, I had the paperwork filed out and everything, the recruiter was even drawing up my pre-boot PT schedule when I went home. Parents wouldn't sign it, and by the time I was old enough the family was in dire straights and I stayed behind to help them. Now I am engaged and need to focus on something to support us for the next few years while she is in school since we plan on getting married between her current school and law school.

I have talked it over with everyone, and as I assumed, the general concensus is to at least apply. What could it hurt, besides the small cost to mail it and what not. Besides, even if I applied and got it today, it would still take like 6months (from what I have been reading) before I could ever actually start work. That would give me plenty of time to phase myself out of the ranch, get my stuff in order, find a place, etc. Now I just need to gather everything I need to apply.

Wish me luck.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:34:12 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I seem to remember other departments that used to require a degree. San Diego PD comes to mind many years ago. I seem to remember that they tried this and found that the applicants that they were getting were definately "Book smart" with their degrees already in hand vs "Street smart" without a level of common sense needed to perform the basic functions of the position.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top