Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2006 9:12:55 PM EDT
I was just looking through a Brigade Quartermaster catalog and noticed that they have several Titanium  knives listed as "Titanium knives are restricted from civilian sales in California"
What the hell?? Is this true? Does anybody have details on this? I know CA is pretty screwed up, but you gotta be kidding me!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:20:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think so. I just don't feel like wading through the DOJ's regulations tonight.

Almost all of the big catalog stores restrict perfectly legal items from CA sales though.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:21:28 AM EDT
[#2]
It COULD be true, but I doubt it. I am pretty sure there is some law that says something along the lines that any weapon that can't be detected by a metal detector is illegal, and since Titanium isn't magnetic in many forms it COULD be illegal to own them.

I highly doubt it as I am pretty sure even Big 5 sells some, and I am probably wrong about the whole magnetic thing. Anyways, you might want to look for something along those lines, like undetectable weapons, or non-detectable, etc. and go from there.

Or you could just wait for someone who knows what they are talking about to come along.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:38:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Titanium may have no magnetic signature, but it's the density of the metal makes it detectable.

There is no law specifically banning Titanium or stellite or talonite or ceramic bladed knives.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:02:02 AM EDT
[#4]
A lot of companies just have retarded policies in an attempt to protect their own asses (even though they won't get in trouble otherwise), aka the Sportsman Guide method. I'm not familiar with titanium knife laws but sounds like this a possible case.

Are blade length and operation within spec?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:34:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Are blade length and operation within spec?

They specificly state "Titanium knives", length and operation arn't the issue. .

As Mike said, Titanium is detectable using standard methods. Actually, from the info I could find, Titanium appears to show up on detectors easier that stainless steel in some cases. So, I just can't fathom what the reason could possibly be. I wasn't able to find any CA knife laws pertaining to Ti.

Thanks for all your suggestions.
Anybody else????
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:22:02 PM EDT
[#6]
There really are no blade length laws in California, believe it or not (local laws possibly).

The only blade length law I know of in California is that sub 2" autos and balisongs are exempt from the dreaded switchblade knife law.

When I lived in California I routinely carried several custom Emersons and Striders with no problem.

Sounds like Brigade Quartermaster is being overly cautious.

Plenty of other folks will sell yo what is legal, though.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:27:14 PM EDT
[#7]
last time i checked cali wasnt that bad on knife laws actually..

it would amaze me if there was restrictions on the material of the knife.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:36:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Ti is non-magnetic just like stainless steel.  It's also more brittle, and not as light as aluminum.  Would make a poor knife if you ask me...

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:33:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Ti is non-magnetic just like stainless steel.  It's also more brittle, and not as light as aluminum.  Would make a poor knife if you ask me...

I agree, it's nothing more than BS marketing. Kinda like calling something "tactical", it's the cool thing to have, so the armchair ninjas will buy it.

However, what on earth would make them think it's any more dangerous than a similar knife made of steel????
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:08:22 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm sure it's just another case where a company is not sure about what they can send to CA so they choose not too. Cheaper Than Dirt and Sportsman Guide also list things as not available in CA. I have 2 titanium handled knives that I purchased here in CA. The actual color is closer to the larger knife on top. The camera flash made the bottom one look shinier than it really is. I also have this same knife with the aluminum handles but because titanium is stronger, the titanium uses thinner metal for the handles and overall thickness is reduced by at least 1/16th of an inch which makes it feel less bulky in the pocket.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:15:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Ti blades have limited uses...primarily for EOD types.  

I own a few Ti bladed knives...2 have carbide edges bonded to them and the other is a Pat Crawford Credit Card Knife.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top