Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2006 8:25:50 PM EDT
Due to very low levels of participation and poor communication with the group sponsoring the effort (including our inability to get a signature count), we're calling it off.

If we were anything close to on-track to getting enough signatures, we'd know.  But we aren't.  Our effort was severely hampered by poor communication and organization... we were basically trying to build up while the signature gathering period was running.  My analogy was, the race had started, and we were still building our race car.

We've learned a lot, and this initiative will be put forth once again in '08  Our intention is to build a real organization that can accept donations (maybe even a dues-based group), and build our effort up and have it ready to go when the gathering period starts.  We want to have a professional website and the ability to supply forms and professionally-designed posters and flyers, rather than asking people to go out-of-pocket for forms and cheesy flyers we threw together ourselves :)

Please destroy any unfilled petition forms you may have... they cannot be reused.  Filled out forms should be delivered to the TACR address.

If you have any questions, ideas, concerns, etc. or would like to be involved with building a group to tackle this initiative in '08, please email [email protected]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:51:48 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Due to very low levels of participation and poor communication with the group sponsoring the effort (including our inability to get a signature count), we're calling it off.

Please destroy any unfilled petition forms you may have... they cannot be reused.  Filled out forms should be delivered to the TACR address.

If you have any questions, ideas, concerns, etc. or would like to be involved with building a group to tackle this initiative in '08, please email [email protected]

It's not 04/15 yet.

QUITER

Who are you to call it off?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:07:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I hadn't even heard of this initiative.

Thanks for giving it an effort. I wise man knows when to quit. Only idoits never conceed in defeat.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:30:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

It's not 04/15 yet.

QUITER

One of the few who was doing all of the work with no help from you.

Maybe next time, you can help instead of sit on the sidelines?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:32:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I hadn't even heard of this initiative.

And that's part of the problem... for our next attempt, we want to have a better machine in place to spread the word.  I'd like to see word of this spread far and wide, and people eagerly waiting for a chance to sign, when the signature gathering period starts.  No, like this time, have the gathering period start and then start to try to get people involved.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:04:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not 04/15 yet.

QUITER

Maybe next time, you can help
instead of sit on the sidelines?

BULLSHIT, I've collected over 4,000 signatures by myself. Before you call someone out you better know what you're talking about. There's a month left to collect the rest of the signatures and you're giving up. Why would I want to follow you in the next battle? I can see here you won't carry through to the end no matter how bleak it might look now.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:51:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not 04/15 yet.

QUITER

Maybe next time, you can help
instead of sit on the sidelines?

BULLSHIT, I've collected over 4,000 signatures by myself. Before you call someone out you better know what you're talking about. There's a month left to collect the rest of the signatures and you're giving up. Why would I want to follow you in the next battle? I can see here you won't carry through to the end no matter how bleak it might look now.

Good going, but unfortunately there is only one of you.  I when I did this a few years ago, all we had about 10-20 people covering 90% of S. Calif.  We didn't get much participation either, and many of the gunners at the local gun shows were pretty hostile toward us as well, which was very surprising to me.  Those folks were afraid to put on a list.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:23:22 AM EDT
[#7]
This whole thing is news to me. Never heard of any RKBA Initiative.

This a Socal thing or do I just keep missing the threads?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:55:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

That's nice, if true.  Either way, far too few people have bothered to get involved.  There is no indication that we're anywhere close to success.

You're free to form any opinion you want.  I'm not the one calling anything off... I'm just passing the word along.

There will be an attempt to build a larger, better organized attempt for 2008  If nobody wants to get invovled with that, it won't go anywhere, and I won't waste my time even getting involved in gathering signatures.  Funny how all I got out of my work was people like you pissing on me for it.

Maybe you should run the next effort and see what it feels like to bash your head against a brick wall every day?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:55:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I wish things could have gone better than they did, and I am saddened to hear that the effort is being scrapped.   I tried to raise interest in my area (even among the guys in my Army Reserve Unit) but it was very slow going, and not much headway was made.   I work at a hospital, so you can imagine the sentiments that I run into.    I sent contact information regarding the initiative into the three major AM Talk radio stations that I am familiar with (560 KSFO, 910 KNEW, 650 KSTE) but recieved nothing in return.   Maybe next time... we should also be working on redistricting, as that will help our cause immeasurably
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:22:19 PM EDT
[#10]
What is the RKBA initiative? websites?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:51:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You're free to form any opinion you want.  I'm not the one calling anything off... I'm just passing the word along.

Then who is calling it off? I haven't heard anything from the group that organized the petition that they're calling it off. I worked on the 1st petition drive to the very end and I'm working on this one, and I'll keep working till the time limit is over.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:12:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:11:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Then who is calling it off? I haven't heard anything from the group that organized the petition that they're calling it off.

It's very possible that people who work directly with TACR will continue to collect signatures.  I don't know, because TACR never communicates with anyone.  And that's why the "unofficial" effort is shutting down... we're throwing our efforts into a black hole.  We pour our time, energy, and money in; and it's silently swallowed.  They can't even give us a ballpark estimate of how many signatures have been collected to date.  I signed my email up on their web site, and never got a single peep back.  they're asleep at the wheel, or are too busy doing something else to dedicate any energy to the initiative.

Far too many of the "unofficial" volunteers have simply given up... they no longer respond to emails, and they aren't volunteering to work gun shows or supply locations with forms.  It's clear, to me at the least, that TACR is the wrong group to be heading this effort up... volunteers need constant feedback to stay motivated.  That's one of the big issues we want to address for an '08 effort.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:12:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I've started a Yahoo group for planning how we're going to proceed.  Anyone who's interested in helping out, sharing ideas, etc. please feel free to join.

groups.yahoo.com/group/carkba/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top