Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2006 2:00:09 PM EDT
I live in NY and a friend wants to hunt boar in your Great State.  I was thinking of using my M1A but something tells me I can't bring it to CA.  It's a new Springfield Armory Inc Scout/Squad with a brake and not a flashider.  Please tell me I'm wrong.

Thanks,

Doug
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:16:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:26:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Paul,

Right On Brother!

I read your tacked thread and figured I'd be OK with the brake.  You've almost inspired me to post an unarmed in NY photo

Now I just need the hunting law.

Thanks for the help,

Doug
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:22:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Try hitting up Calguns.net, and post in their "great outdoors" section asking about the hunting laws.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:34:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes it is legal to use a semi auto to hunt in California.  If you go to California wildlife and game page they have a PDF on the regulations to  hunt wild boar.  And wild boar season is open all year.  However some of the zones are not open all year.  Some are restricted to archery hunts only.  22 cal bullets are not recommended for hunting boar.  However it doesn't say that you can't use it.  That is why I got a 6.8 SPC specifically to hunt deer and boar.  You will need a cali hunting license and tags.  Don't know about the regulations for hunting on private land if you need these or not.  From the tags that were recorded majority of the kills were on private lands and these require membership fees.  Of the public lands that have the highest tags were up in Tama Hills in northern California.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:53:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Yes it is legal to use a semi auto to hunt in California.  If you go to California wildlife and game page they have a PDF on the regulations to  hunt wild boar.  And wild boar season is open all year.  However some of the zones are not open all year.  Some are restricted to archery hunts only.  22 cal bullets are not recommended for hunting boar.  However it doesn't say that you can't use it.  That is why I got a 6.8 SPC specifically to hunt deer and boar.  You will need a cali hunting license and tags.  Don't know about the regulations for hunting on private land if you need these or not.  From the tags that were recorded majority of the kills were on private lands and these require membership fees.  Of the public lands that have the highest tags were up in Tama Hills in northern California.

Thanks!

I read the regs but I wasn't sure if I missed anything and wanted to be safe instead of sorry.  My friend has looked into a few guided hunts in June.  I almost fell out of my chair when I read the season is open year round without bag limits.  

Thanks again,

Doug
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:28:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I haven't hunted wild boar personally in California.  This summer I am gonna go to a friend's house in Lousiana and hunt feral hogs in east texas.  You can hunt feral hogs at night in Texas :)
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:09:24 PM EDT
[#7]
What part of CA are you going to be hunting in?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:38:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Is there a magazine capacity limit?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:09:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What part of CA are you going to be hunting in?

I'll have to ask him.  I'm letting him handle the arrangements and I'm sorting this end out.  I think he said the central coast.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:09:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Is there a magazine capacity limit?

I didn't see anything mentioned in the hunting regs.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:39:05 AM EDT
[#11]
There is no restriction on magazine size surprisingly.  But you are restricted from bringing your 20rnders into California as well as using someone elses.  Stick with your 10rnd mags and you will be fine.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:53:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
There is no restriction on magazine size surprisingly.  But you are restricted from bringing your 20rnders into California as well as using someone elses.  Stick with your 10rnd mags and you will be fine.

Thanks for the help.  I have a couple of flush 5 rounders (NY Hunting Regs Legal) that I'll bring.  If I can't do it with 5 rounds or less I don't belong in the woods
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top