Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2006 11:29:49 AM EDT
ok, honestly ive been out of the gun scene for about 2 years, just bought a couple handguns and didnt pay attention to the laws.(slap me)  

i am buying a stag lower somtime this week and im also REALLY wanting a mega gator lower. im going to washington in the next week and i can get a couple of them(my parents live up there, and i have a residence i use to reg my ARs and safe them at up there.)  can i buy an offlist lower up there and bring it down here? do i have to re-DROS it? or reg it somehow?  can i even do it legally?

any help is really appriciated.
thanks
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:27:18 PM EDT
[#1]
If you move out of state, then buy two recievers as a resident of WA that's legal, right? Then when you move back to Kali and become a resident of this great state, you are entitiled to bring in any legally owned long guns (as long as it is not an AW). You only need to register handguns with the DOJ when moving from another state. If you buy a firearm as a Kali resident from an out of state dealer, you MUST go through a KALI dealer (C&R FFL holder is different on this point). It all depends on what your residency status is at the time of the sale. Remember, the PRK does NOT recognize "dual" citizenship; you are either a KALIF resident or not a residnet. I do not know what is considered a "resident" for either state, that would be the sticky part.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:43:38 PM EDT
[#2]
ok, makes sense.

thanks.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:05:07 AM EDT
[#3]
you can also have your father buy it and give it to you as a gift and bring it home. it is leagle for a parent to buy a gun for a son or daughter. when you bring it home as a gift no need for a new DROSS as it is a long gun.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:09:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd not give or receive a gift gun across CA state lines, unless the giver has 'moved' to CA himself.

Otherwise it should go thru a CA FFL.

For lowers, expect added scrutiny if something comes up.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:27:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Bill,

is it possible to have my father buy the lower up there, then send it to my FFL thats doing transfers? is that legal? or does it have to go ffl to ffl?

as for the gift idea, he moved away from CA about 4 years ago. though, he may be moving back in about 2 years.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:38:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Bill,

is it possible to have my father buy the lower up there, then send it to my FFL
thats doing transfers? is that legal? or does it have to go ffl to ffl?

as for the gift idea, he moved away from CA about 4 years ago. though, he may be moving back in about 2 years.

2 years is way too long to wait, esp for this situation!

Your dad can go about it either of 2 ways -

• he can buy the lower up there, take possession. and then ship it to your CA FFL. You should give him the FFL address/# - he can, if he chooses, verify it thru BATF FFL E-Z-Check webpage.

• he just goes to the FFL dealer there, pays for the lower, and has the FFL ship it to your CA FFL.

It does not have to go FFL to FFL; an ordinary person can ship a gun to an FFL.  If it's a handgun, it can't be shipped via postal mail except by an FFL.

He must declare it as a firearm (frame) to the shipper.  Make sure he does this; don't have him try to illegally declare it as "machine parts" or some nonsense.  (I brought this up because I'm sure some turkey here will pop up and recommend that "since I didn't get in trouble for it".)

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:01:45 AM EDT
[#7]
well i went out and got a highstandard today and was speaking with mutiple people about the megas... unfortunatly i didnt hear anything shinging about them. so i think ill just hold off for now. just be happy with one. possibly ill pick up a 308 lower. who knows.  thank you for the input though. its much appriciated.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:53:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
well i went out and got a highstandard today and was speaking with mutiple people about the megas... unfortunatly i didnt hear anything shinging about them. so i think ill just hold off for now.

All forged AR lowers are the same, functionally:  they will all build a 100% functional, accurate rifle.
Don't get hung up on getting a specific brand unless you want a special color-match with your upper.
If these are your first lower(s), get anything you can as soon as you can.

Bill W.
San Jose
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top