Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2006 5:21:44 PM EDT
are37mm launchers legal in cali..if not..why?
thanks in advance
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:51:54 PM EDT
[#1]
wow i guess i managed to ask a really dumb question i guess
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:17:02 PM EDT
[#2]

2006 Dangerous Weapons Control Law

12301 thru 12312 Destructive Devices

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CHAPTER 2.5. DESTRUCTIVE DEVICES

12301. (a) The term "destructive device," as used in this chapter, shall include any of the following weapons:
(1) Any projectile containing any explosive or incendiary material or any other chemical substance, including, but not limited to, that which is commonly known as tracer or incendiary ammunition, except tracer ammunition manufactured for use in shotguns.
(2) Any bomb, grenade, explosive missile, or similar device or any launching device therefor.
(3) Any weapon of a caliber greater than 0.60 caliber which fires fixed ammunition, or any ammunition therefor, other than a shotgun (smooth or rifled bore) conforming to the definition of a "destructive device" found in subsection (b) of Section 479.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations, shotgun ammunition (single projectile or shot), antique rifle, or an antique cannon. For purposes of this section, the term "antique cannon" means any cannon manufactured before January 1, 1899, which has been rendered incapable of firing or for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade. The term "antique rifle" means a firearm conforming to the definition of an "antique firearm" in Section 479.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
(4) Any rocket, rocket-propelled projectile, or similar device of a diameter greater than 0.60 inch, or any launching device therefor, and any rocket, rocket-propelled projectile, or similar device containing any explosive or incendiary material or any other chemical substance, other than the propellant for that device, except those devices as are designed primarily for emergency or distress signaling purposes.

ETA that your question is not dumb.  But it is beat to death.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:25:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Nothing is legal in California.  Ever.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:33:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Flare guns are exempt from the destructive devices law...however, CA Penal Code 12276.1 lists Grenade Launchers and Flare guns as a characteristic or feature that turns a semi-auto centerfire rife with a detachable magazine into an assault weapon.

12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
   (1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:

(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
   (B) A thumbhole stock.
   (C) A folding or telescoping stock.
   (D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
   (E) A flash suppressor.
   (F) A forward pistol grip.
   (2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
   (3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:46:11 PM EDT
[#5]
so then if i have a registered ar i am in the clear?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top