Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2006 1:21:15 PM EDT
Im kind of confused about whats going on about AR lower receivers like Stag, does the mag have to be attached so it cant be removed, or can you use 10 rd detachable mags? I have a fab10 and its ok, but it sure would be nice to use detachable mags instead of breaking open the rifle everytime I reload. Can anyone clear this up for me?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry, as it stands right now, the mag must stay fixed in place, and the rifle remains a top loader just like a FAB or Bushy CA.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:42:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks anyway, for a minute there I got really excited.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:12:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Sorry, as it stands right now, the mag must stay fixed in place, and the rifle remains a top loader just like a FAB or Bushy CA.  

You can use a removable mag, IF it has no other AW characteristics(per 12276.1). That means no pistol grip, fixed stock, and no flash hider. Some people have assembled them without a pistol grip.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:18:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks anyway, for a minute there I got really excited.

You should still be excited, even though you legally can't remove the mag in a CA-Legal Stag lower, you can alway's travel to Free America and replace the parts in less than a minute.  You can't do that with FAB-10, Bushmaster CA-Legal, or Vulcan's CA-Legal lower.

I LOVE my Stag CA-Legal AR! I love it because the lower is exactly the same as Free America's.  AND, I paid half as much as what a FAB-10, or Vulcan CA-Legal stripped lower goes for!

If things go our way, once the Stags are added to the banned list, we may be able to register them as so-called "Assault Weapons" and restore it to full functionality.  If we can't, then...if anything you don't burn through ammo as fast shooting 10 rounds at a time.

Up to the minute info here:  www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=81
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:32:55 PM EDT
[#5]
What do you use in place of the pistol grip, you need something there to retain the spring?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:58:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What do you use in place of the pistol grip, you need something there to retain the spring?

www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=28718&highlight=srb
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:01:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm waiting for the modified stock option.  The SRB will work but there goes easy access to the safey.  I would consider the SRB before having a fixed mag.

www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=27979
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:32:03 PM EDT
[#8]
as the law reads. the magazine has to be "Fixed" but can be detached by using a tool. the reason why the fab10 and etc recevers are so neudered is beacuse of the class 2 assault weapon listing (doj can say what can and cant be in state) sence they declared non lists legal per sb 23 you can fix the magazine in a ar and be able to remove it with a "tool".
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:03:06 AM EDT
[#9]
This is the answer to what you can't have and can.  First of all the definition of an AW in Californis this

SEMIAUTO and DETACHABLE MAGAZINE

with any one of these

pistol grip
barrel less than 16 in,
rifle less than 26" in length
flash suppressor
threaded muzzle
can have more than 10 rounds
night vision optics
silencer
retractable/telescopic/folding stock
hole in the stock for a pistol grip
forward grip

Now if your rifle is semiauto and fixed magazine like the Bushmaster Carbon 15, Vulcan 15
you can have any of these  options

pistol grip
flash suppressor
hole in the stock for pistol grip
forward grip

So what WE learned from this is that unless it is SEMI-AUTO AND HAS A REMOVABLE MAG, it is not an assualt weapon.

Also to answer questions about the BOLT ACTION rifles with a DETACHABLE MAGAZINE OR FIXED MAGAZINE.  Note: Bolt action rifles dont fit into assualt weapons definition

It can have any of these configurations

pistol grip
flash suppressor
hole in stock for pistol grip
forward grip
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top