Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2006 11:58:46 AM EDT
Does anyone know a good place I can get my feet wet in 3 Gun competitions?  I currently only shooting www.ssashooters.net events...  I want to put on all of my tactical gear and run around.

Any info would be great

Thanks,

Jonathan
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:03:27 PM EDT
[#1]
  Where are you located,  Chabot has 3-gun matches in the   Bay (Castro Valley) Area.  There are also 3-Gun matches in Sacramento area too.
Good Luck.
Chabot Gun Club

(edited to correct my mistake)
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:28:28 PM EDT
[#2]
WangenKim...There are two/three gun events held at Raahauges the second sunday of each month sponsored by LESA.  To get more particulars, log onto their website, www.lesamatch.com.  They usually shoot five stages of pistol-shotgun and set up one or more rifle stages.  Ammo required is about 150 rds pistol, 20 rounds shotgun with at least five or more slugs and 60-80 rds of rifle.   You will shoot on cardboard, reactive steel and a big revolving star.  Scenarios are quite creative.
Newbies are alway welcome.  Good group.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:30:42 PM EDT
[#3]
In the bay area, there's Diablo Action Pistol (requires membership) I THINK they do 2 and 3 gun stuff sometimes.

http://www.actionpistol.com/index.php

They operate out of USI in Concord.

http://www.unitedsportsmen.com/
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:32:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Chabot has 3-gun matches in the  North Bay (Castro Valley) Area.

Castro Valley is not North Bay by any stretch of the imagination.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:54:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Any in socal? :-)
-Jon
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:23:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Chabot has 3-gun matches in the  North Bay (Castro Valley) Area.

Castro Valley is not North Bay by any stretch of the imagination.

Wow,  didn't know I was gonna get corrected on my Geography Mrs. Smith,  I will try to do better next time so my grade doesn't suffer.  

I'm sorry,,,,,,  it is East Bay !
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:49:42 PM EDT
[#7]
They shoot 3-gun at  the USPSA pistol match at Norco.  Go to JVDynanmics.com and click on the Runing Gun IPSC  Link. Click on the EMail list and sign up for the anouncements.  They have shot this along side the  pistol match so it is < 100 yds.

The other  one in SoCal is at the old SWPL range,  3rd Sundays.  For info see  http://www.uspsa2.org/uspsa2.htm#4
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:13:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
  Wow,  didn't know I was gonna get corrected on my Geography Mrs. Smith,  I will try to do better next time so my grade doesn't suffer.  

I'm sorry,,,,,,  it is East Bay !

I'm sure it was just a brain fart. I didn't mean anything by it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:36:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
  Where are you located,  Chabot has 3-gun matches in the   Bay (Castro Valley) Area.  There are also 3-Gun matches in Sacramento area too.
Good Luck.
Chabot Gun Club

(edited to correct my mistake)

I'd love to know where, bein from sactown.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:37:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Chabot Gun Club! Steve Lew and crew are great guys! Fun! check out the schedule on Chabot website.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:03:19 AM EDT
[#11]
  I think they hold them at Sacramento Shooting Center ,  but I didn't see anything listed.  You might want to give them a call to find out when they hold them.

(I'm sure it was just a brain fart. I didn't mean anything by it.)

Yes,  definately Brain Fart.  I am from South Bay,  so everything seems to be North to Me
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:08:28 AM EDT
[#12]
SLOSA will have a 3-gun coming up soon.

www.SLOSA.org will soon have the info up.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:54:46 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
  I think they hold them at Sacramento Shooting Center ,  but I didn't see anything listed.  You might want to give them a call to find out when they hold them.

(I'm sure it was just a brain fart. I didn't mean anything by it.)

Yes,  definately Brain Fart.  I am from South Bay,  so everything seems to be North to Me

Last year there were a couple three gun matches at SVSC via the NCPS club, and a couple more rifle only and shotgun only matches.  I think what's happened this year is that the guys that organize the 3g matches are busy setting up for a Major USPSA match (Golden Bullet) this spring.  Hopefully 3g will resume after that's done.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:39:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I apologize, I am in Southern California.   Thank you for the info everyone!  Maybe I will see some of you out there!

What kind of choke tube should I run on my 870 with 18.5" barrel?  Currently is cyl bore, but I was thinking about either going vang comp or a custom installed comp n' brake.  What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:21:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I've been shooting a cylinder bore 590 and its been fine except for one occasion where I couldent get enough shot on target to drop a couple of round plates.    I'm considering having it threaded for a slight choke.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:58:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Try Westend Gun club in SoCal

http://www.wegc.org/match.shtml

As for choke, VanComp are very nice but pricey.  You can buy a new 20" - 870 barrel with factory chokes for under $200.  But I won't go any smaller than imp Cycl or 0.715, as you are likely to shoot slug in 3G.  An extended mag tube will come in handy if you don't already have one.

I prefer an auto however, can't cycle worth a dame
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:08:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks, perhaps I will look into getting my 18.5" threaded for a Imp Cyl choke.  I was just curious how these guys with their super 90s hit these plates with birdshot and actually knock them down.   I have one of those 870 exp mag special purpose security guns.  6 or 7 +1 capacity (I forgot.)  Parkerized finished (probably the worst parkerizing ever?)
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:17:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Check the price on threading, you may still be better off buying a new barrel.

M1S90 have different versions, older guns has cylinder bore but Eurpean style (smaller bore about 0.710).  Newer guns come with choke tubes.  870 cylinder bore I think is about 0.729.  So don't be too surprised if S90's gets tighter shot groups.

Get bigger pellets and more drum load for your bird shots.  That should help in knocking down those plates for you.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:10:12 PM EDT
[#19]
3 gun this Sat along side the USPSA pistol match.  Come out and watch if nothing else.  If you have never shot  USPSA at Norco, it is a kick in the ass to say the least.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:16:24 PM EDT
[#20]
I have only shot SSA Shooter events at NorCo.

I have one more question...  How many rifle magazines would I need for a rifle stage in a 3 gun match.

I have 5 30 round magazines, and 1 20 round.

I have 4 10 round Pistol magazines.

Think I should invest in more pistol magazines for the events?

I am interested in WEGC events and maybe try the LESA one.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:23:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Plenty of rifle mags.....

I've come across a couple stages where you'd might want more than 40 pistol rounds at regular USPSA matches but never w/3G.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top