Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2006 1:42:23 PM EDT
Are CS, OC or smoke grenades legal in California?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:32:48 PM EDT
[#1]
All destructive devices to my knowledge.  Anything that you pull the pin and anything happens as a result is illegal.  Remember, even fireworks are _VERY_ closely regulated.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:39:22 PM EDT
[#2]
4) Any rocket, rocket-propelled projectile, or similar device of a diameter greater than 0.60 inch, or any launching device therefor, and any rocket, rocket-propelled projectile, or similar device containing any explosive or incendiary material or any other chemical substance, other than the propellant for that device, except those devices as are designed primarily for emergency or distress signaling purposes.

I would think the only use for a smoke grenade would be for emergency or distress signaling, same as a 37mm flare launcher, either weapon mounted on an AW, or as a standalone.  If it were a true grenade or destructive device, there would be NFA warnings all over the place on places that sell them.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:06:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Someone was saying that if ANY ammount of combustable material is used, even as a 'detonating' catalyst, it's a DD. That's why we can't get those neat little Hornet's Nests. As for the pepper spray style of 'grenades' I don't see why not in regards to a destructive device, but they may be restricted other ways. I would imagine they would be in the same category as the 37mm launchers: as long as they don't detonate in any way, they should be ok. Again, I could easily be VERY wrong.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:07:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I remember sportsmanguide used to sell smoke grenades that were initiated with a pull string.

This was a long time ago however, at least ten years ago...
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:54:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Everytime I see those Fox OC grenades I think about buying a couple.  I just know I'd get myself in trouble with it.    It would be too too tempting to roll it out the car door on some unusually freekish street corner in Frisco.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:26:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
4) Any rocket, rocket-propelled projectile, or similar device of a diameter greater than 0.60 inch, or any launching device therefor, and any rocket, rocket-propelled projectile, or similar device containing any explosive or incendiary material or any other chemical substance, other than the propellant for that device, except those devices as are designed primarily for emergency or distress signaling purposes.

I would think the only use for a smoke grenade would be for emergency or distress signaling, same as a 37mm flare launcher, either weapon mounted on an AW, or as a standalone.  If it were a true grenade or destructive device, there would be NFA warnings all over the place on places that sell them.

Really?

Then these guys....must all be felons!

www.rocstock.org/

Fun to watch them though....IMHO
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top