Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2006 11:42:21 AM EDT
Anyone here near the fire?  We sure can smell it here today.  Could smell it a bit yesterday but today it is really obvious.

Mrs
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:45:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Can ye smell it?  AAAAARRRRRRG.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:46:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm at the coast and before sunset last night, you could really see all the ash and smoke. Keep an eye on the wind direction and have a plan to get out quick if it gets too close. Good luck and God Bless.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:51:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Can ye smell it?  AAAAARRRRRRG.

Yep sure can...

just lovely  
ick
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:06:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I live just south of Anaheim Hills in Orange, and I am temporarily homeless due to mandatory evacuation.  I spent last night in a hotel, and will have to check back tonight if I can go home.  When I left my house yesterday I could see the smoke coming out like a volcano, and fire trucks were already coming up the hilles to get people out.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:12:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I could smell it today.. and I'm in HB.

-d
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:04:13 PM EDT
[#6]
My Aunt and Uncle had to evacuate there house.  Luckily they were able to stay with some friends near by.  Not too many hotels will except dogs(neither will my dogs, lol).
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:16:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I live in Irvine so I can definitely see the smoke and smell it.

Last night, on our way to the Coldplay concert at the Pond, we could see an eery orange glow coming from the hills and white ash falling from the sky (kinda looked like snow).

Needless to say, cars were covered in ash when we walked out to the parking lot to head back home...
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:29:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I used to sit on top of the barrack in Tustin and watch the fires wondering why we couldnt help put them out.  Seems like only reservist got called to put out the fires.

Are the Santa Anas blowing?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:13:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I used to sit on top of the barrack in Tustin and watch the fires wondering why we couldnt help put them out.  Seems like only reservist got called to put out the fires.

Are the Santa Anas blowing?

some winds but not in the Santa Ana  class, are supposed to pick up some this evening.  Had a wind shift this afternoon that is pushing it in a more favorable direction.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:22:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I feel for you folks in central Orange County. I'm in the San Gabriel Valley just 8 miles east of Pasadena, and back 10 years ago when we had a fire in the San Gabriel Mtns and I could see the 50'-100' flames leaping into the sky in front of my house and at night the moutains would glow red.

One thing for sure, if the authorities say leave, leave.  Possessions etc can be replaced, but lost lives..............
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:13:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Big ploom of smoke seen from Torrance where I work
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:29:59 PM EDT
[#12]
a view from my roof in the city of orange....

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:43:11 PM EDT
[#13]
i live in chino hills off of the 71 and i can see it from my house and i work in pomona and i can still see the smoke
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:22:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Looked like that most of the time, we are having just enough northerly winds that it is blowing most of the crap away from the mountains and the smoke fro the fire mostly to the south.  Been nice here in Brea, not getting the fallout.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:48:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:53:47 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
a view from my roof in the city of orange....

img85.imageshack.us/img85/3871/img00791xe.jpg

I'm another handful of miles down the road but can still smell it out here in Riverside. We burned everything that was burnable last year after that "chicken fire" were the coops when up and took out many square miles of scrub with them. In my favorite retreat area about 80% of everything burned to the ground. There's places where it's 100% and you see dead rabbit skeletons in the dirt. We've got a possum family living in one of our palm trees ... figure they were displaced by the fires (or the thousands of homes being cut into the hillsides east of me).

Looks like the wind has died down and that's a help. We do need some rain this year.

As we headed out for SHOT show, we could see the fire along the freeway.  Was kinda' odd.
Normally you can see the smoke or the burned out areas but we could actually see the fire and flames this time.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
As we headed out for SHOT show, we could see the fire along the freeway.  Was kinda' odd.
Normally you can see the smoke or the burned out areas but we could actually see the fire and flames this time.

And they didn't shut down the freeway for that? That's odd. Last time there is a fire along side of 57 freeway near Brea, I remember was the July 05 SoCal ARFCOM shoot date, and they shut down the south bound 57 for that.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:37:04 PM EDT
[#18]
They shut down the 241 for several days, I don't think it ever got close enough to the 91 to close it.  The 57 has been closed a few times.  They really try to avoid closing the 91, it's a disaster most of the time anyway and closing it close to rush hour causes problems on way too many other freeways, 55, 57, 60, Ortega Highway, etc.

I was at Selman Chevrollet (Chapman and the 55 in Orange) today and they are still trying to get the ash washed off of cars and trucks.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:02:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And they didn't shut down the freeway for that? That's odd. Last time there is a fire along side of 57 freeway near Brea, I remember was the July 05 SoCal ARFCOM shoot date, and they shut down the south bound 57 for that.

the 241 was closed for a few days.  When we went thru there it was up on the Hills above...but was just odd to actually see the Flames and not just alot of smoke
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top