Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2006 8:35:16 PM EDT
i was just recently told that it is illeagal to shot an AR/AK in the state of california period! even if you are on BLM land....no matter what!?!?! i didnt have any information to rebut on, is there any thing in the law stating something about discharging an assault rifle in the state of california? and if so where would i have to go to shoot??

thanks in advance
scooter
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:39:24 PM EDT
[#1]
where are you located?
someone was on crack
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:52:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:03:33 PM EDT
[#3]
From the California Rifle and Pistol Assoc. 2006 Summary of California Gun Laws and Basic safety handbook.

You can have and use your assault weapons at licenced shooting ranges, a target range of a public or private organization, on private property with the owners permission, at special events and educational activites or on public land with the administering public agencys permission. A special use permit from the Dept of Justic is necessary for possession or use at any other location. To date, the DOJ has not issued any special use permits to individuals.

You can't keep it in your car or truck for extended periods of time, only to and from your home/business to the shooting area and back.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:59:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry, Paul, you're incorrect.

If it's not a regular shooting range you must have express permission to shoot there.  Otherwise a 12280(a) felony could exist.

I believe most all BLM land is OK now as long as AW is legally possessed (registered, no NFA issues, etc.

But other CA areas where it's legal to shoot regular rifles MAY WELL NOT allow AWs, regardless of hunting issues. Ask manager/agency of land  before shooting.

You could be charged with a felony otherwiese - specific destination laws, etc.

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top