Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2006 1:37:11 PM EDT
Just wondering?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#1]
no...mag is not where it should be regardless the only thing you could do would be to build an ar that met the minimum rifle length requirements(26" i think) without a stock which would be ridiculous
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:59:41 PM EDT
[#2]
that's not entirely true. The handgun law that states the mag can not be outside the grip is for removable magazines. The catch on new guns is that the law prevents the manufacture or importation of pistols that do not meet the safety requirment. This would prevent you from building one up yourself, even if it was a pistol lower.

The ONLY way that you could possibly do it is if someone out of state had one, pinned the mag, then moved into the state and sold it PPT. I am not 100% sure if that would be legal, but that is the only way that I could imagine it even possibly working.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:36:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
no...mag is not where it should be regardless the only thing you could do would be to build an ar that met the minimum rifle length requirements(26" i think) without a stock which would be ridiculous

30" OAL, for centerfire semi-auto rifles. Fixed mag or not.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:32:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Do NOT build a handgun.  You will be in violation of PC 12125, the "unsafe handgun" laws.  This is totally aside from any AW issues or ATF Fed pistol vs rifle laws...

Unless it's a single-action revolver or (starting 2006) a single-shot pistol, you cannot build a handgun.  For example, you can't build up from an 80% 1911 frame.   There are exemptions for prototypes for certification, etc. but you'd have to be preapproved, etc etc.

For the record, this was confirmed to me by Cal DOJ Dir. Randy Rossi & Asst Dir. Tim Rieger at an NRA Members' Council Q&A dinner meeting last spring.

Bill Wiese
San Jose
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:48:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Do NOT build a handgun.  You will be in violation of PC 12125, the "unsafe handgun" laws.  This is totally aside from any AW issues or ATF Fed pistol vs rifle laws...

Unless it's a single-action revolver or (starting 2006) a single-shot pistol, you cannot build a handgun.  For example, you can't build up from an 80% 1911 frame.   There are exemptions for prototypes for certification, etc. but you'd have to be preapproved, etc etc.

For the record, this was confirmed to me by Cal DOJ Dir. Randy Rossi & Asst Dir. Tim Rieger at an NRA Members' Council Q&A dinner meeting last spring.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Oh well thats too bad...
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:31:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Assuming you went with an exceptionally long stock to maintain the 30" length, could you legally run a barrel shorter than 16"?  I have seen a lot of debate about this on the internet.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:37:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Assuming you went with an exceptionally long stock to maintain the 30" length, could you legally run a barrel shorter than 16"?  I have seen a lot of debate about this on the internet.  Thanks.

That would be an SBR (short barreled rifle) which is not only controlled on a state level here, it is also controlled at a federal level by the ATF. Pretty much it's illegal unless you get the tax stamp from the ATF, and even if you could do that, it would still be illegal here because it's California.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:50:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Only way to get a cali legal ar pistol would be for a manufacturer to make one out of state,(with an internal, non detachable mag) and submit it for testing as a drop safe pistol.

It is a lot of money and hassle, so there has to be a big market for the manufacturer to do it.

Especially if they are blocked by the state.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top