Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2006 10:44:34 PM EDT
My son is going to be home for a few weeks starting mid- February.  He has expressed an interest in maybe getting a lower so he can register and eventually own an AR here in the Golden State, since right now his chances of getting mine are zip.

Although with a registered lower when I kick off, he can strip my Colt and install everything on the lower.  Or maybe build one before then.

So give the crystal balls a rub and give me a guess if you think he might be able to get a lower in mid-Feb, DROS it and pick it up before we start driving cross country on Mar.  2nd.

Also he wants to know what nice lowers are going for now?  We are in north Orange County.  And driving a few hours won't be a problem.

I've seen some comments that after the rush dies down prices might get somewhat more reasonable.  Anybody want to hazard a guess if the window will close by then?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:07:47 PM EDT
[#1]
    Why can't you buy the lower for him and when the time comes to register it let him put it under his name.  Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:24:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
    Why can't you buy the lower for him and when the time comes to register it let him put it under his name.  Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.  

Yep.  You should buy the lower for yourself now, and when he comes back you could give it to him.  Long guns are fine to give away, without any paperwork, to immediate family members as long as they are not in a prohibitted class.  Even if it gets named very soon, there will be a 90 day window to register it, so mid-February would be fine.  If it gets banned before he gets back, it's fine too since you gave it to him legally (even if he wasn't physically present) before the ban.  In fact, here it is in writing...

5. Can I give a firearm to my adult child?  Can he/she give it back to me later?
Yes, as long as the adult child receiving the firearm is not in a prohibited category and the firearm is a legal firearm to possess, the transfer of a firearm between a  parent and child or a grandparent and grandchild is exempt from the dealer transfer requirement.  However, if the firearm is a handgun, you must submit an Report of Operation of Law or Intra-Familial Handgun Transaction and $19 fee to the DOJ within 30 days.  Assault weapons may not be transferred in this fashion.  See Penal Code section 12285, subdivision (b).

(PC section 12076(c))  

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:26:54 PM EDT
[#3]
So go find a lower. While your at it go buy 4 of 5 lowers!!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:42:49 PM EDT
[#4]
And hurry.  Once these lowers are listed, they are officially assault weapons, and you won't be able to transfer them to your son.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:41:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Both of you can register for the same receiver, using two different forms
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:59:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I still have plenty or you can hit any group buy on calguns, even the del mar show this weekend.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:38:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
And hurry.  Once these lowers are listed, they are officially assault weapons, and you won't be able to transfer them to your son.

The operative word is "IF."  IF these lowers are listed.  The crystal ball applies here, as well.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:59:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
So go find a lower. While your at it go buy 4 of 5 lowers!!

According to PaDanby, that would nearly double the amount of lowers that have been sold in CA, based on his estimates.

The section of Penal code cited in that FAQ isn't the correct one. It is 12078(c) that deals with gifts to family. It spells it out clearly, it is legal.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:27:09 AM EDT
[#9]
coldwarshooters.com these guys have them in stock. about 1.5 hours drive from north orange county. if your son lives in your house you could also do a duel registration if he is not back in time
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:11:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Your son has another oprtion.  He can buy a complete AR in whatever state he is stationed in then get a military assault weapons permits when he gets PCS orders to cali.

Right now the "noban" lowers are up to $175-200.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:38:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Keep in mind that if he does do the military option that if he leaves the military in California the "Assault Weapon" then must go to the state if registered using that method.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:40:25 PM EDT
[#12]
IM sent
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:33:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Keep in mind that if he does do the military option that if he leaves the military in California the "Assault Weapon" then must go to the state if registered using that method.

Or he can store it out of state.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:45:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or he can store it out of state.

You haven't met our Indianapolis -in-laws have you?  plus the way things are going, getting stationed in CA is not on his list of things he wants to do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top