Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2006 7:13:36 AM EDT
I searched but didnt get anything helpful.

I was wondering if you guys new where I could get a nice heavy gun safe for a decent price? I saw the ones at walmart and the ones at Home depot but I was wondering if you guys knew of any others.

I figure the one I have now is small and I will be buying more firearms in the future so I should go ahead and get something decent now.

Thanks for the help guys.

ZC
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:17:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Turners hs a good selection of REAL safes -v- Walmart crap
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:21:20 AM EDT
[#2]
do they have anything in the $400 range?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:01:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I always like looking here.

www.deansafe.com/

Costco usually has 1 safe these days, looks decent.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:08:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Turners sells mostly AMSEC safes.  Last I remember, the Teton/LP series start around $400.

www.amsecusa.com/gun-safes-LP-main.htm
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:18:40 AM EDT
[#5]
If your gonna buy a safe do some research and buy a good one. Buy one that is bigger than what you think you need because you will outgrow it. I know this from experience (I now have two safes)
 Check to see what it is rated at for fire and how it was tested. different companies use different methods to determine fire protection.  some use heat sensors in one area of the safe when testing, others put sensors throughout the safe. Temperatures vary from top to bottom inside the safe during a fire. If you research enough safe sites you will find this info and better know how to choose a safe. If you live in the boonies you want a safe with a longer or higher fire rating because of fire dept response time. Some safes have doors with reactive seals. They will swell up in the presence of heat.  An average house fire burns at 1200 to 1600 degrees and most safe companies try to keep the internal temp of their safes at about 350 for an x amount of time. Paper burns at about 400 degrees if memory serves me so a smaller security box inside your new safe will help boost your protection for important papers. Check out the combination devices.. Keypads are great allowing quick access if your like me and use your safe everyday. A dial is cumbersome and will eventualy wear out according to the safe dealers although my first safe had a dial on it and its still working fine..Also research the locking devices. Some safes have hard plate or ball bearings to foil a drill attempt and some have a failsafe that locks the safe when tampered with.. I bought a heavy safe and bolted it down..I want to have whoever trys to get into my safe have to work on it where it sits rather than cart it off to where they can open it at their leisure. That way my dog and alarm system will be a better deterent. When you get your new safe don't show it off ..Find a room or a closet in your house and keep it out of sight. The less people who know the better for you... I bought a Cannon T-36 which comes with a good warranty. its a good safe but their are better out there.. You have to weigh budget, need and features when buying..But don't forget to buy bigger than you need. Spend a weekend on the net doing research and you will know all their is to know about safes and you will be able to make an informed decision without any regrets...I hope this is helpfull .. good luck...jack
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:41:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks jack,that was helpful. My key parameter now is money. I would like to get the best possible safe for the time being. I know in the future I will have more money coming in and I can afford a better safe. I was thinking about biting the bullet and getting the thousand dollar safe from costco. Its a 30 cubic ft safe and supposed to be pretty good. Let me know what you guys think as well as what you think are some other options.

safe

Thanks guys.

ZC
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:56:23 AM EDT
[#7]
If you are in Soucal, check Sportsman Steel Safe co, They are in the long beach area.

Guys will tell you they are assholes, bad salesman, etc.   Delivery times don't mean anything to these guys.

Fine.

BUt if you GO THERE, look at the safes, with cash in hand, they will forklift EXACTLY what you pick out into your truck.

I got exactly what I wanted that way, a buddy scored a custom interior for a huge discount over list because someone had cancelled an order.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:18:41 AM EDT
[#8]
what sort of prices am i looking at?

Do I have to have a friend order one and then cancel
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:27:13 AM EDT
[#9]
he's right people will tell you they are assholes, and bad salesmen because they are... stay away..

shitty paint, lousy interiors, lots of blems...talk with them in person for five minutes and you start to get "the creeps"..

Look on ebay @ the cannon safes from a vendor called "got safes".. he's in temecula has good deals and it will be delivered to your door..

p.s. that cannon you found doesn't look bad either...their warranty is great as quoted on the sticker on my safe door..

Exclusive warranty covers cost of repair or replacement of safe for a flood, fire, break-in or attempted break-in,  zero cost to repair, zero cost to replace ,zero cost round trip frieght ( if it can't be fixed on the premises)..

that's pretty strong...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:34:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Thanks jack,that was helpful. My key parameter now is money. I would like to get the best possible safe for the time being. I know in the future I will have more money coming in and I can afford a better safe. I was thinking about biting the bullet and getting the thousand dollar safe from costco. Its a 30 cubic ft safe and supposed to be pretty good. Let me know what you guys think as well as what you think are some other options.

safe

Thanks guys.

ZC

I just went over the specs on that Cannon safe.  Wow!  Lots of great features.
For $1000 delivered, I don't think anyone can beat this.  It's a good deal.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:37:04 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm pleased with the Liberty safe I got.  The whole process of purchasing and delivery was smooth.  Quality is great.

West Coast Liberty Safes
990-D Ontario Mills Drive
Ontario, CA 91764

Phone: (909) 484-7584
Toll-Free: (800) 933-3515

www.libertysafe.com/
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:42:59 AM EDT
[#12]
thanks guys for the replies. Keep them coming.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:46:27 AM EDT
[#13]
don't forget to purchase the pistol rack that goes on the inside of your safe door..it has velcro holsters to accomadate 7 pistols freeing up your shelf space for a knife collection or ammo or whatever.. they are cheap...plus they look cool...

Also, fnc80 is right Liberty makes a damn good safe...so does Fort Knox
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:47:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Well I guess this is a good question, how do I move a 600 pound safe to its final desination? They would just drop it off in the driveway and Im strong, but not dead lift 600 pounds strong.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:50:09 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
don't forget to purchase the pistol rack that goes on the inside of your safe door..it has velcro holsters to accomadate 7 pistols freeing up your shelf space for a knife collection or ammo or whatever.. they are cheap...plus they look cool...

Also, fnc80 is right Liberty makes a damn good safe...so does Fort Knox

I looked at the pistol rack velcro deal and it looks like that is a must
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:50:46 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Well I guess this is a good question, how do I move a 600 pound safe to its final desination? They would just drop it off in the driveway and Im strong, but not dead lift 600 pounds strong.

A wooden 4 wheel dolly  (Home depot?) and a trusted friend.. mine weighed 1000 lbs and just me and the guy who delivered it put it in with a dolly.. plus you may be able to bribe the delivery man with some dough to help you. I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:54:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Also, most important... if you have a raised foundation make sure the floor is strong enough where you  put your safe..if not go underneath and brace it up.. if you need to know more on this im me...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:55:02 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A wooden 4 wheel dolly  (Home depot?) and a trusted friend.. mine weighed 1000 lbs and just me and the guy who delivered it put it in with a dolly.. plus you may be able to bribe the delivery man with some dough to help you. I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time...

Ill have a group of friends that can help. Ill offer the guy a little dough and if he does, great. If not, no biggie.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:09:44 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ill have a group of friends that can help. Ill offer the guy a little dough and if he does, great. If not, no biggie.

It sounds like you got it all covered then...Good deal..It is so much nicer knowing that all your stuff is locked and secure, instead of having rifles in the closets and under the bed and pistols under pillows and stuck between couch cushions ( which actually ain't bad depending on the company).. You can leave home  knowing all your real valuables cameras, jewelry, money ,pink slips, and etc. are secure so if someone comes in to toss your house they get shit. they may get less than that with my dog and alarm system and nosy fuckin neighbor...anyway let me know what you think a week after your an owner..I think you will be pleased... If you need anything else, let me know.... take care jack...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:42:01 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
he's right people will tell you they are assholes, and bad salesmen because they are... stay away..

shitty paint, lousy interiors, lots of blems...talk with them in person for five minutes and you start to get "the creeps"..

Look on ebay @ the cannon safes from a vendor called "got safes".. he's in temecula has good deals and it will be delivered to your door..

p.s. that cannon you found doesn't look bad either...their warranty is great as quoted on the sticker on my safe door..

Exclusive warranty covers cost of repair or replacement of safe for a flood, fire, break-in or attempted break-in,  zero cost to repair, zero cost to replace ,zero cost round trip frieght ( if it can't be fixed on the premises)..

that's pretty strong...

WEll, mine has no blems and I had no problem doing an in person deal.

I'm NOT knocking any brand here, when I was looking, they were cheap, they work, and that's what he asked for.

Also agree that $1,000 DELIVERED for a decent sized safe is a good deal.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:24:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that's pretty strong...

I'm NOT knocking any brand here, when I was looking, they were cheap, they work, and that's what he asked for.

Im not knocking your safe or the deal you made with Sportsman, I'm merely going by my experience when I spent about two hours with the son walking through the factory and showroom. I personally saw bad quality paint, ugly welds, crappy interiors,  not to mention his attitude and the way he treats his crew... I'm glad your happy with your safe, but I would not recommend them per my experience...Ive talked to other manufactures and they will not knock any other competitor except Sportsman.. I was told by one he is a disgrace to the industry...The son called me two days after I visited to let me know I should order soon because the price of steel is going up.. I told him I had already purchased a Cannon and he said to me "those fucking things suck, they are pieces of shit..."    how professional of him...I was standing there with my cellphone in my hand looking at my new safe that has a paint job on it the quality of an automotive paint job, a beautiful interior and fit and function that in my opinion was flawless.. I certainly didn't see anything like that in his shop that day I was there. maybe I hit an off day but like i said I'm just going by my personal exprience .  It was not my intention to ruffle your feathers if that was what indeed I did. I was not knocking your advice merely agreeing with it , especially the first part.. It's good you got a deal..it sounds like you were in right place at the right time...take care...jack
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:26:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks jack, i appreciate it. I was thinking of getting something in the 400 range but I think I will just save up the extra money and get something that will last a lot longer and be a lot bigger.
I will let you know how things go when I do buy one(well a better one I should say).
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:32:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

that's pretty strong...

Im not knocking your safe or the deal you made with Sportsman, I'm merely going by my experience when I spent about two hours with the son walking through the factory and showroom. I personally saw bad quality paint, ugly welds, crappy interiors,  not to mention his attitude and the way he treats his crew... I'm glad your happy with your safe, but I would not recommend them per my experience...Ive talked to other manufactures and they will not knock any other competitor except Sportsman.. I was told by one he is a disgrace to the industry...The son called me two days after I visited to let me know I should order soon because the price of steel is going up.. I told him I had already purchased a Cannon and he said to me "those fucking things suck, they are pieces of shit..."    how professional of him...I was standing there with my cellphone in my hand looking at my new safe that has a paint job on it the quality of an automotive paint job, a beautiful interior and fit and function that in my opinion was flawless.. I certainly didn't see anything like that in his shop that day I was there. maybe I hit an off day but like i said I'm just going by my personal exprience .  It was not my intention to ruffle your feathers if that was what indeed I did. I was not knocking your advice merely agreeing with it , especially the first part.. It's good you got a deal..it sounds like you were in right place at the right time...take care...jack

Hi Jack.

I bought mine before there even WAS an AR15.com.  I didn't have the problems, but I am certain that you, and many other do have such experience with them.  Sad that they offer a prioduct so needed, but can't seem to scrape together business sense.  Maybe something has changed since I was there.  It's been over 10 years.

I've seen the cannon safes, they are beautiful, the finish is superb.

Mine's more of a Chevy, it works, and it looks OK, but it's still a chevy.  You didn't ruffle my feathers, mine's got no blems but a blind man could tell the difference between mine and a cannon.

Just giving him advice about "cheap," which ususally means looks are somewhat secondary.

That said, the $1,000 delivered deal he is thinking about is a screaming deal.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:31:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Sams Clubs often have decent safes in them for pretty good deals.  Last time I was there they had a Winchester brand safe I think made by Amsec or Cannon.  Decent safe about the size of the one you are looking at for about seven hundred.  Go check if there is one nearby.

I bought mine from a company called Sun Welding Safe Co.  It's a 72x40x28 and works just fine.  It cost with options around 2k, but it's body is 3/16ths all over and weighs 1300lbs.  I believe they are out of or near San Dimas, though I'm not sure if they are in business anymore.  I'm really happy with the save though.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:51:23 PM EDT
[#25]
If you are anywhere the Temecula area, try the Safe Outlet. I've never been there but I see them from the freeway on my way to and from work. 28822 Old Town Front St, Temecula, 92590 - (951) 506-6899
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:43:42 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
If you are in Soucal, check Sportsman Steel Safe co, They are in the long beach area.

Guys will tell you they are assholes, bad salesman, etc.   Delivery times don't mean anything to these guys.

Fine.

But if you GO THERE, look at the safes, with cash in hand, they will forklift EXACTLY what you pick out into your truck.

I got exactly what I wanted that way, a buddy scored a custom interior for a huge discount over list because someone had cancelled an order.

Not my experience, they forked it on to their truck and delivered it free to North Orange County the next day.  And I got a good deal on a cancelled custom.

And they use  (or at least used) S&G dial locks.  I don't know about you, but the concept that they might wear out is pretty shaky.  Let me guess, the guy was trying to sell a keypad?  The S&G locks are the same as we used on Navy safes and classified materila safes at Hughes, somehow I never saw any of those wear out and they got used a lot more than you can expect to use your safe lock.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:04:23 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fine.

But if you GO THERE, look at the safes, with cash in hand, they will forklift EXACTLY what you pick out into your truck.

ot my experience, they forked it on to their truck and delivered it free to North Orange County the next day.  And I got a good deal on a cancelled custom.

And they use  (or at least used) S&G dial locks.  I don't know about you, but the concept that they might wear out is pretty shaky.  Let me guess, the guy was trying to sell a keypad?  The S&G locks are the same as we used on Navy safes and classified materila safes at Hughes, somehow I never saw any of those wear out and they got used a lot more than you can expect to use your safe lock.

Nobody tried to sell me a keypad lock, I wanted one. As I said in my post I was told that dials eventually wear out but I did not have that experiecnce with mine as quoted below...

"A dial is cumbersome and will eventualy wear out according to the safe dealers although my first safe had a dial on it and its still working fine."

I like keypads..you can program a lot of different combos in them easily and they will also lock out for a determined amount of time if people tamper with them...Personally if a guy wants to secure his safe with a hasp and padlock I'm happy for him if he's happy..

I have had the good fortune to be able to own both types and prefer the keypad.. I'm also glad you are happy with your purchase.. The way I see it is if a person is happy and has a piece of mind that his belongings are secure in whatever brand he buys then mission accomplished.. I just coundn't recommend Sportsman because of my experience...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:02:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Check out Sturdy Safes in Fresno.  Their specs look better than most others I seen and the prices seem reasonable.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:42:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Of all the places, I was just at Sears and they sell a few Craftsmen safes, but didn't see prices.  They were fireproof and looked nice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top