Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2006 10:19:44 PM EDT
On the plus side, they're a huge price break for what appears to be a bit of finish wear, usually no less than 90%.

But as I got thinking, some people might have put up their pistols for the need of funds or whatever but I wonder how many of them are selling it because they shot the hell out of it and the internals are rusted and loose? What do you guys think about buying a used pistol or saving up to get a spanking new one?

On the other hand, what are some reputable gun shops other than Turners around the LA and OC area with a good selection of used pistols at reasonable prices?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:40:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I mostly collect Curio & Relic firearms, so most of my guns are used. Very used. As in, thousands of rounds fired at hostile folks before I was born, and in many cases, before my parents were born. My favorite rifle (a Springfield Armory M1 Garand) was made back in 1953, and I have other guns that date back to WW-II or earlier.

I buy those old guns because I'm a collector, not just to save money over new guns. Still, there's nothing at all wrong with buying a used gun as long as it's in servicable condition and it satisfies your needs and desires.

If a pistol that you're considering has had the hell shot out of it, it should be pretty obvious when you look at it at the store before committing to buy it. A reputable dealer should help you judge the gun's condition, too, particularly if you don't feel that you're experienced enough yet to catch potential problems with the gun.

I've had generally good experiences with Turner's. I like to stop by Fowler's Gun Room on Tustin Ave. in the city of Orange, too. They're close to a Turner's on the same street, and they have a really impressive stock of new and used rifles (much more than I've seen elsewhere), plus lots of pistols, optics, reloading supplies, etc. I can't think of any other good suggestions at the moment, but I'm sure that other folks will chip in.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:33:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Of my pistols, only two was bought new. Whenever I see an used pistol I'm interested in purchasing, I check it myself, and under storeowner's permission, check for wears. I'm not afraid to ask questions to find more info like why this gun is for sale. One time I had to replace a main spring because it was too strong, but that was only that time.

Considering that I don't shoot most of my pistols that often, it is better for me to get used ones.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:28:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Pretty soon, most of the best choices available in California will be second hand handguns, so get used to it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:54:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:48:14 AM EDT
[#5]
just buy Glock and don't worry if new or used
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:26:39 AM EDT
[#6]
+1

The only handguns I've bought used were both Glocks.
They were both in 90% condition or better, but they shot 100%.
I just made sure they still had factory parts and hadn't been tinkered with.

I think of it this way:  I bought them pre-broken in.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:05:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't have any qualms about buying a used handgun, as long as I can inspect it beforehand.  I have come across some great deals this way.

I've had some luck with the OC Register classifieds and calguns.net.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:37:25 AM EDT
[#8]
i never like anything that has been USEd,,,,,USEd car,used guns etc...
New is always better....
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:25:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
i never like anything that has been USEd,,,,,USEd car,used guns etc...
New is always better....

I've gotten great deals on used handguns, and will gladly keep on buying used or new.
On the subject of new cars, unless you can write off the car as a business expense, or you have unlimited funds, a new car is a foolish waste of money.  The depriciation of 20 % or more is a great reason not to buy new.  With used, you can get the same warranty, and a huge price decrease if you le3t someone else have the first 10 to 20 thousand miles.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a nice collection but own more used guns than new by a 4:1 margin. I especially like consignment guns. If you know what to look for you won't get burned. There are some great deals out there, like a S&W M&P unfired, but without a box for $250. Or a Glock 19 unfired for $275. Or a S&W 29 unfired for $350. A USP 40 compact unfired for $450. There are a lot of young people who don't care for dad's or granddad's unfired handguns and are willing to give them away for a song. I guess they think old guns spoil like stale bread or something.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top