Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2006 5:49:19 PM EDT
I see everyone out getting their AR lowers (myself included) but where are all the AK recievers. I've seen one pic so far, and thats it
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:16:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't need one, but I think the attractive thing about the ars is that you can build it up yourself and that they are modular into many different configurations.  The ak receiver is much less so.  At least that's my thoughts on it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:35:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Ummm, okay, I'm feeling a bit stupid (as usual) but if you fix a 10 round mag to the AK receiver, well, how do you load the mag? Do you remove the top cover and bolt? Or hold the bolt back and put one round at a time in? Or do you have to (using a tool) remove the mag to load? If so, how is the mag affixed?

And yes, I am familiar with the AK design. I own some.

Maybe I'm just too tired to figure this thing out right now.

ETA that I know it's something completely obvious and logical and it's right here under my nose, but I can't figure it out.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:36:28 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Ummm, okay, I'm feeling a bit stupid (as usual) but if you fix a 10 round mag to the AK receiver, well, how do you load the mag? Do you remove the top cover and bolt? Or hold the bolt back and put one round at a time in? Or do you have to (using a tool) remove the mag to load? If so, how is the mag affixed?

And yes, I am familiar with the AK design. I own some.

Maybe I'm just too tired to figure this thing out right now.

ETA that I know it's something completely obvious and logical and it's right here under my nose, but I can't figure it out.

I think most people that are doing it are either going the no PG way or removing the piston and making it "pump action" using the charging handle.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:38:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I think most people that are doing it are either going the no PG way or removing the piston and making it "pump action" using the charging handle.

Oh, duh. Thanks for pointing out the very obvious to everyone but me solution. I need a nap.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:08:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Remember to securely cover up that gas port in the barrel!

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:30:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Remember to securely cover up that gas port in the barrel!

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

Good point.  BTW- does anybody know if the legal length of a rifle is 30 inches with stock unfolded/fully extended out, etc or is it measured while it is folded/fully compacted?  I was wondering about the legality of a single shot AK with underfolder but I'm pretty sure after measuring my MAK-90 that it'll be under 30 inches when folded.  Thanks for any info and sorry for the potential hijack.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:37:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Full length must be measured when the stock is collapsed. (CA law - Fed law is with the stock open)
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:57:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Full length must be measured when the stock is collapsed. (CA law - Fed law is with the stock open)

Uugh.  Why does CA always have to go above and beyond to take the fun out of things?

On second thought though, wouldn't a bayonet bring the length out a few more inches... or is that not considered part of the rifle?  I'm afraid I already know the answer though.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:09:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uugh.  Why does CA always have to go above and beyond to take the fun out of things?

On second thought though, wouldn't a bayonet bring the length out a few more inches... or is that not considered part of the rifle?  I'm afraid I already know the answer though.

Bayonet is detachable, and thus doesn't count. However if yuo were to permanently attach one of those classic AK47 style brakes, that would probably bring the length up to spec.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:14:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Well I was just thinking since legally off list AR's and AK's are in the same spot that some people would take the gamble on being able to eventually build them up. Just buy em and let em sit til they get banned, you know.  But that was just me thinking again....
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:25:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

can you please cite an appropriate source that defines "overall length?"
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:38:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bayonet is detachable, and thus doesn't count. However if yuo were to permanently attach one of those classic AK47 style brakes, that would probably bring the length up to spec.

It doesn't actually say anywhere that it has to be permenantly attached, unlike the NFA barrel length requirement.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top