Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 7:58:14 PM EDT
If you buy a lower and then go to register it, I assume they'll check to see if you went through the DROS process to acquire it legally.  How would they do that if they dont have access to the DROS information?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:31:45 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
If you buy a lower and then go to register it, I assume they'll check to see if you went through the DROS process to acquire it legally.  How would they do that if they dont have access to the DROS information?

Well, if the DROS does not have any information about the lower, how would they know what you bought unless they paid a visit to the dealer to peruse the purchase records ? What if you bought it via private party transfer ?

I also understand the registration application has a section where you are supposed to declare where and who you bought it from and that this information is optional.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:14:55 PM EDT
[#2]
If/when a reg period takes place, when you register an AW it  DOJ will just check that you are still eligible to buy guns (not in prohibited class - prohibiting misdemeanors/felonies, etc.)   I don't think they will be coordinating against DROS activity.  But they may 'sample' a few reg apps and check with dealer to see if legitimately purchased in CA (unless someone moved into CA and legally possessed them before moving in).   These regs will be scrutinized a bit, but on a sampling basis.  

Well, if the DROS does not have any information about the lower, how would they know what you bought unless they paid a visit to the dealer to peruse the purchase records ? What if you bought it via private party transfer ?

Several bulk lower vendors have been visited by DOJ agents.  Purchaser's DL info from the DROS has been obtained - so as to mail out announcement letters & reg forms.  This lets them get the bulk of buyers without embarassment of a big PR campaign.  (Of course they'll miss some onesy-twosey FFLs, but the will see big spikes in Dec-Jan activity on the computer from the most active ones.)

I also understand the registration application has a section where you are supposed to declare where and who you bought it from and that this information is optional.

It's not really optional, it's just not specified in detail - it's supplementary information.  You should not submit an incomplete reg or put untruthful information even in supplementary areas.  If you don't know/recall something (like name of gunshop/city), put "Don't know" or "in San Bernardino County", say.   For date acquired, try at least to get the year correct, if not month or season.  

Do everything you can to have a complete, in-good-faith, registration filed so there's no cause for delay.  While minor corrections could be allowed - and the DOJ will consider your filing on time even if they have questions after reg period closes providing you respond in 2 weeks - you should not have substantive errors nor knowing misrepresentations.

If & when reg period opens, I advise filing earlier than later.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:19:06 PM EDT
[#3]

It's not really optional, it's just not specified in detail - it's supplementary information. You should not submit an incomplete reg or put untruthful information even in supplementary areas. If you don't know/recall something (like name of gunshop/city), put "Don't know" or "in San Bernardino County", say. For date acquired, try at least to get the year correct, if not month or season.

Regulation 978.30 says

(1) Registrant information: registrant’s name; date of birth; sex; height; weight;
eye color; hair color; residence address (physical); mailing address; telephone
number; California Driver License (CDL) number or Identification number
issued by the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV); signature;
date; right thumb print; and

(2) Assault weapon information: serial number; make; model; type; caliber; day (if
known
), month (if known), and year of acquisition; name and address of person
or firearms dealership from whom assault weapon was acquired (optional);

I am sure everybody will do their best to recall when and where they acquired their lowers.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:10:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Several bulk lower vendors have been visited by DOJ agents.  Purchaser's DL info from the DROS has been obtained - so as to mail out announcement letters & reg forms.  This lets them get the bulk of buyers without embarassment of a big PR campaign.  (Of course they'll miss some onesy-twosey FFLs, but the will see big spikes in Dec-Jan activity on the computer from the most active ones.)

was it just a courtesy thing to ensure they knew the law regarding ar15 lowers?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:44:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies.  To refine the question, how long does DROS info stay in the DOJ system?  If I bought a rifle at Big5 a year ago, can they look and see that I did in fact purchase a long gun at that time?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:30:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I've seen posts where people claim that the local police have run a check and know what guns they have, including long guns, but I don't have any direct experience with that myself.  In theory, they only register handguns and assault weapons.

You can find out what info the CADOJ has on your firearms ownership:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.htm#26

27. Can I get a list of the firearms for which I am listed as the purchaser, transferee, or owner?

Yes.  To obtain a list of firearms listed in your name, send a letter requesting this information to the Automated Firearms Unit, P.O. Box 820200, Sacramento, CA 94203-0200.  The letter must be signed, notarized, and include a photocopy of your photo ID card (ie., driver's license or DMV ID).  

max
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top