Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2006 2:35:16 AM EDT
I received a speeding ticket in CA this thanks giving . 88 on a 70 after a straight 6 degree downhill.  This was somewhere close to El Cahon on highway 8 heading toward San Diego.
The rear radar on the Sherrif's cruiser got me because i slowed down to 70 before i passed it.

Do you or any of the CA members know if i can go to driving school in AZ or will i have to go take it in CA.  Also on the ticket it says that i "may" receive a letter in the mail with info about the ticket.  I have not yet so im wondering if its normal not to receive anything.  

thanks in advance
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:28:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure about the traffic school part but I think that all the tickets say the "may" receive a letter. I think that this is just making sure the burden of follow up is on you and not the courts so that you don't say, "I never received a letter so I didn't think that the ticket went through."
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:43:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Not sure about the traffic school part. You may call the court directly to ask. Usually it is handled by Superior Court located at County Goverment. There should be a traffic division.

As for the letter, remember to call the court to get the letter. Do not depend on what arrived in your mail box. It's your responsibility to follow up the whole thing.

Best Wishes,
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:24:58 AM EDT
[#3]
You are allowed to take traffic school in your state.  There's now even on-line traffic school.  Probably going to be Caliban certified.  Call the court to verify.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:04:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Each county has diffrent rules. Some counties require you to take the traffic school tests in person and not online. Each county has a list of traffic schools that they accept.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:01:13 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 for bosko. I just went through this with my wife you need to call the court and find out what they require. On line traffic school is easy, look around though there are a lot of schools and they need to be OK by your court.

Good luck
hug.gif
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:59:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies.

I had no idea there was such a thing as online traffic school.   The last one i attended about 3 years ago was on a saturday for 7 hours.  That was a pain.  I'll call as soon as i figure out the courhouse's phone number online.  The ink paper used to make my ticket copy was terrible and i can barely read most of the writing.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:51:43 AM EDT
[#7]
www.ticketassasin.com

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:35:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I have taken traffic school 4 or 5 or 6 times.  My first few times where to a "Comedy Traffic School". It was a boring 8 hour class that wasnt that funny...  But the last few times I did one of the internet traffic schools and its way better... I call them up give them the Case number and my info along with my credit card number. They then give me a password to their website so I can read their "lessons". Then i drive 20 miniutes up to their office take the test and they hand me the certificate. The first time I did this Online traffic school it took about 2 hours total begining with calling them to set up me up and including driving to their office taking the test and getting the certificate that says "completed 8 hour traffic school".  

Try and see if the locality will let you take a online traffic school and will also allow the test to be taken online so you dont have to drive. Make sure you be nice to the clerks on the phone when you call and make sure they know you live out of state and it would be a burden to drive in to California to take the test. If they dont cut you any slack or if  its against the local court rules then you may want to try to write the presiding judge of that court and ask for the online class & test to be allowed....  

Make sure you know your when you fine is due. Generally you can have one extension of about 28 days or more by asking over the phone, any more require a court appearance.  And I am not sure but I THINK you can get another extention for the due date of the traffic school certificate. Most courts have a online "Case Information" section so you can look up your case and see due dates and or the Dockett for your (and anyones) case.

Sorry for the long ramble, hope it helps.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:52:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:40:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Request the court for "Change of Venue" the case will be dropped
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:01:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Did he admit to clocking you with RADAR and/or did you see it?  If so, too bad you don't live close enough to fight it.  Not too many people know that when they use RADAR to clock your speed that they are required to provide a copy of a recent traffic engineering survey (<5yrs old) which defines the speed limit for that stretch of road/highway, during the trial.  If not, case dismissed!  I've yet to see any peace officer bring one to trial yet.  I don't recall the CVC# off hand, but could get it for anyone wanting to know.  Good luck bro getting it all straightened out!

Technowizard
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:11:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Eh, I'm bored so I went and found it for you all.  Enjoy yet another ticket killer courtesy of Mr. Wizard.

Technowizard.

40801.  No peace officer or other person shall use a speed trap in
arresting, or participating or assisting in the arrest of, any person
for any alleged violation of this code nor shall any speed trap be
used in securing evidence as to the speed of any vehicle for the
purpose of an arrest or prosecution under this code.

40802.  (a) A "speed trap" is either of the following:
  (1) A particular section of a highway measured as to distance and
with boundaries marked, designated, or otherwise determined in order
that the speed of a vehicle may be calculated by securing the time it
takes the vehicle to travel the known distance.
  (2) A particular section of a highway with a prima facie speed
limit that is provided by this code or by local ordinance under
subparagraph (A) of paragraph (2) of subdivision (a) of Section
22352, or established under Section 22354, 22357, 22358, or 22358.3,
if that prima facie speed limit is not justified by an engineering
and traffic survey conducted within five years prior to the date of
the alleged violation, and enforcement of the speed limit involves
the use of radar or any other electronic device that measures the
speed of moving objects.
 This paragraph does not apply to a local
street, road, or school zone.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:36:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Trial by written declaration,  read the info on the back of your ticket there on the bottom.

Ask for all the usual radar info ( Officers training,  cert date,  cert of radar,  cert of road,  blah blah blah )

Cops hate paperwork and they hate doing trails this way even more.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:17:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Did he admit to clocking you with RADAR and/or did you see it?  If so, too bad you don't live close enough to fight it.  Not too many people know that when they use RADAR to clock your speed that they are required to provide a copy of a recent traffic engineering survey (<5yrs old) which defines the speed limit for that stretch of road/highway, during the trial.  If not, case dismissed!  I've yet to see any peace officer bring one to trial yet.  I don't recall the CVC# off hand, but could get it for anyone wanting to know.  Good luck bro getting it all straightened out!

Technowizard

No he did not specifically say he got that speed by radar.  When he left to write the ticket for about 5 minutes, he only came back, handed the ticket and said something along the lines of "have a nice day."  He started walking away as i asked how fast i was going, and only then he mentioned the speed but not that he got it by radar.  Also like i mentioned before the radar must have been in the back because i was doing 70 and below as i passed it.   From my last traffic school i learned that stationary photo radars need to be calibrated every now and then or else they dont read correctly.   The only signs i remember were the signs displaying the 6 degree steep road.

Thanks for this interesting info.  I'll have to check that date and see if I decide to go.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:50:32 PM EDT
[#15]
if you go to trafficschool.com and look for the county you got the ticket in, the site will be able to tell you whether they accept online traffic school or not. I know when I got my last ticket in NorCal that is what I did and did not call the courthouse to see whether they accept it or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top