Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2006 8:20:55 AM EDT
Can an out of state person register a firearm with Cali DOJ?

Primary:  With as large of economy and jobs that are in Cali, I might someday have to move there for work and I would like to bring my AW with me.

Secondary:  If all us out here in free America register our firearms with Cali DOJ we will break the system.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:04:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:31:04 PM EDT
[#2]
The problem with an active duty permit is that these expire and are not indefinite. If you are Miltary and declared CA as your state of residents and have the firearm in the state, you should be able to register using that address. Check with the DOJ, though.

Many servicemen and women are still California residents that use their parents address. I know some that have stored their firearms at home. I suspect the CA-DOJ should not have a problem with that since there is no importation, but sometimes they are a fickle bunch.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:20:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's the section that you'll need.

(2) A person moving into this state, otherwise in lawful possession of an assault weapon, shall do one of the following:
(A) Prior to bringing the assault weapon into this state, that person shall first obtain a permit from the Department of Justice in the same manner as specified in Article 3 (commencing with Section 12230) of Chapter 2.
(B) The person shall cause the assault weapon to be delivered to a licensed gun dealer, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 12290, in this state in accordance with Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto. If the person obtains a permit from the Department of Justice in the same manner as specified in Article 3 (commencing with Section 12230) of Chapter 2, the dealer shall redeliver that assault weapon to the person. If the licensed gun dealer, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 12290, is prohibited from delivering the assault weapon to a person pursuant to this paragraph, the dealer shall possess or dispose of the assault weapon as allowed by this chapter.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:51:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Here's the section that you'll need.

(2) A person moving into this state, otherwise in lawful possession of an assault weapon, shall do one of the following:
(A) Prior to bringing the assault weapon into this state, that person shall first obtain a permit from the Department of Justice in the same manner as specified in Article 3 (commencing with Section 12230) of Chapter 2.
(B) The person shall cause the assault weapon to be delivered to a licensed gun dealer, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 12290, in this state in accordance with Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto. If the person obtains a permit from the Department of Justice in the same manner as specified in Article 3 (commencing with Section 12230) of Chapter 2, the dealer shall redeliver that assault weapon to the person. If the licensed gun dealer, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 12290, is prohibited from delivering the assault weapon to a person pursuant to this paragraph, the dealer shall possess or dispose of the assault weapon as allowed by this chapter.

I see people occasionally post that section of CA code, but I haven't seen anyone post saying that it actually worked for them. If you read through all the hoops you have to jump through, it seems like it isn't going to be too easy to get done.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:19:43 AM EDT
[#5]
You didn't specifiy what you wanted to register.  Assault Weapons and handguns are different, but you do not need to register non-AW long guns. The posted CA code for importing an AW applies, but it doesn't show you what you're up against.

Getting a CA-DOJ AW permit has the same requirements as a machine gun permit, they are difficult to obtain, expensive to maintain and are only issued to those actually doing business in that type of firearm. It's a business permit, not a possession permit. There is no AW permit for simply collecting.  You also have to meet a minimum requirement for secure storage of any weapons under the permit and must pass a DOJ inspection of the premisis to be permitted.  An apartment with a nice Medeco deadbolt and ADT does not begin to meet the requirements. If you rent, you also need written permission from the owner to have AWs on the premisis. Assuming your place of residence or storage (whatever location you are trying to get a permit for) qualifies, you also must meet the "need" requirement which only allows permits to be issued to those who are engaged in the business of assault weapons and make sales/repairs to LE or gov't entities or do business with the entertainment industry.  The permit also specifies transportation requirements for the AWs:  Locked boxes inside you vehicle's trunk (the tunk itself does not count) and transporting the weapons only between places undewr the scope of the permit: movie locations, PDs, gov't client locations, generally ONLY locations that involve your business. Furthermore, even if issued, it does not allow you ANY activity beyond the scope of the permit:  The permit does not allow you to go have a fun day out in the desert or at the range with your AWs.  In a nutshell, the permit is the only way to import an AW into CA and the permit is only issued for doing legitimate business in the specific type of weapon.

Registered AWs are a different story, people who own registered AWs have some of the same requirements as permit holders, but not nearly as stringent. Handguns are a different matter.  Any handgun (that is not also an AW) may be brought with you into CA, but you have to register all of them with DOJ.  Not a big deal, it doesn't limit you in any way over buying it here.  But the kicker here is you can bring with you ANY handgun, but what is available for sale here is limited to the DOJ approved list, meaning you'd be well-advised to check the list before you move here to see what is available for purchase in CA.  ANy gun you want that is not on the list you'd better buy BEFORE coming here.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:25:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I would like to bring my AW with me.

Sorry, you did specify.  It will be impossible for you to do this without the aforementioned permit and getting that permit will prove to be more that you were looking for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top