Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2005 2:25:08 AM EDT
Would i be able to register a homebrew AK as an AW when they ban all the new(er) receivers?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:40:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:05:20 AM EDT
[#2]
A regular and smart person on CalGuns spoke to a lawyer that deals in firearms.  IIRC the lawyer said that only the weapons that are added to the list would be elegible.  If you try to list one that was already on the list (Colt, Bushmaster, Etc) you could find yourself in a heap of trouble.  He also advised that if you did manage to register an 80% with some name you cooked up and there was ever a situation where you were under scrutiny when they didn't find that name on the list your registration could be considered invalid.  If found invalid and you had all the evil features on the weapon you're looking at fighting a Felony case.

Go over to CalGuns and read through everything for yourself, but most importantly,  C.Y.A. and be careful.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:26:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Generally speaking, 80% lowers cost MORE than a complete lower. Because of that, and the time to finish them, I would advise AGAINST buying them simplyfor the fact that there are better ways. A 2 hour drive for a receiver you know will be on the list if they add it is better than 2 hours of manufacturing the receiver at a higher cost without a guarantee that you can register it ever.

Stay away from 80%ers for now. If you have one and you can register it, GREAT, but  wouldn't get one now with the hopes of building it up. I personally have two receivers built: a .223 fixed mag and a .50BMG single shot (I think I will register it after all IF the receivers get named. Why not have one more AW if I am already getting a few). If I can register the fixed mag than I will, but I am not going to hold my breath for it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:59:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I'm thinking that "they" are going to need a manufacture and a serial number to fill their boxes

"They" are lazy, the NCIC manual has the code for homebrew receivers/firearms...

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:51:33 AM EDT
[#5]
My guess is that the reason the DOJ has not done anything yet is they are figuring a way to only have to do it once.  That may require legislation. They are not legislators.

If they do anything, it will most certainly address the 80% homebrew issue. They will word what ever they issue to include all possible permutaions.  Then let the court decide if it is OK, just like the Harrot Decision.  Until then, it will all stop, allow the Assembly & Senate to act and it will be done.

Or not.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:18:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Edited to add: I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice.

I registered "Geneis" which was an 80% lower that I wanted to bring in on my Military Assault Weapons Permit. Knowing how the government works I knew that I couldn't leave a blank line on the permit so for the manufacture I used "Shade Tree Armory" and for serial number I used PC-01 (politically correct -01). The clerk called me and said that they didn't have a number code listing for "Shade Tree Armory" - I told her is was a homemade lower AR-16 like Armalite or a Bushmaster rifle. She said Armalite ... I've got a code for them and marked it as an Armalite with the serial number of PC-01 so that's how I marked the lower - "Armalight PC-01".

I'm thinking that "they" are going to need a manufacture and a serial number to fill their boxes and they'll be happy. If your paper work matches the lower who's going to know or care that the lower really wasn't build by the company with the name engraved on the side of it.

I used an electro-chemical engraving process to mark mine.

WOW ! ! ! ! ! !

So, let's all go out and buy 80% lowers.   THEN when the new list comes out adding, let's say, XYZ's model ABC, all we have to do is engrave them as XYZ mosdel ABC and register the receiver as such.  We will have a valid registration form listing the receiver we have in our possession.

HOLY SMOKE ! ! ! !
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:40:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Edited to add: I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice.

I registered "Geneis" which was an 80% lower that I wanted to bring in on my Military Assault Weapons Permit. Knowing how the government works I knew that I couldn't leave a blank line on the permit so for the manufacture I used "Shade Tree Armory" and for serial number I used PC-01 (politically correct -01). The clerk called me and said that they didn't have a number code listing for "Shade Tree Armory" - I told her is was a homemade lower AR-16 like Armalite or a Bushmaster rifle. She said Armalite ... I've got a code for them and marked it as an Armalite with the serial number of PC-01 so that's how I marked the lower - "Armalight PC-01".

I'm thinking that "they" are going to need a manufacture and a serial number to fill their boxes and they'll be happy. If your paper work matches the lower who's going to know or care that the lower really wasn't build by the company with the name engraved on the side of it.

I used an electro-chemical engraving process to mark mine.

WOW ! ! ! ! ! !

So, let's all go out and buy 80% lowers.   THEN when the new list comes out adding, let's say, XYZ's model ABC, all we have to do is engrave them as XYZ mosdel ABC and register the receiver as such.  We will have a valid registration form listing the receiver we have in our possession.

HOLY SMOKE ! ! ! !

If and when they take your rifle and possible arrest, you will have to testify that your receiver name was completed prior to the list being released.

Pick a name without looking
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:57:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

If and when they take your rifle and possible arrest, you will have to testify that your receiver name was completed prior to the list being released.

Pick a name without looking

Better than that.  From the post, I think he's saying if they were to add Stag-15's to the list he would engrave Stag-15 on a 80%.

Well, the serial number has to be legit, and when you DROS a receiver like a STAG the FFL has to keep the 4473 that has the serial number written on it.

If you forge a serial number on a firearm I think you're in for alot more punishment at Club-Fed than you might like.  Unless you like getting a rectal exam on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:09:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Paul's AW permit procedure  w/respect to homebrew/80% lowers is different/irrelevant here.

He got his gun in via a MAWP (Military AW Permit).  That's an AW with a permit ,  not a conventional registered assault weapon that regular mortals have if they reg'd in 1991 or 2000.  The homebrew status, etc. w/relation to Harrott, the Kasler list, etc.  is irrelevant - the DOJ gave him a permit. AW Permits are not given out except for rare and special causes, and the permit was given before the gun was brought into the state.  

For nonpermittees, stay away from noncommercial lowers.  Since these are not in trade circulation, there's no practical way DOJ can list these by specific make/model as hard as they might try.  Thus they may not have Harrott protection and would fall back under Kasler - getting you in a world of hurt.

And the idea of putting a production make/model name on your homebrew lower is ludicrous and stupid.

Bill W.
San Jose
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:24:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top