Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2005 9:00:31 AM EDT
Is just starting the DROS good enough or do you have to possesse it before its listed? I have heard that it must be possessed and also that they were going to try and update the list this week. Is it too late or are there still a couple days?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:01:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Just my observation...

For all intented purpose, once you fill out the form 4473 (Fed ATF) and the dealer put the serial # in their books, the firearm is legally transfered to you as owner.  

CA DROS form does not require serial # or model number or name of the firearm.  It just need to know if it is a long gun or pistol, and who is the person buying the firearm.  They do a back ground check to make sure you are ok to own.  Then the 10 day wait is for "cooling off".

So, once the DROS is done in the shop, the firearm should already be yours under ATF rule.

Then again we live in CA, where DOJ can makeup their own rules without worry about people standing up for their rights.  Because they are the 10-ton gorilla!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:03:45 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Just my observation...

For all intented purpose, once you fill out the form 4473 (Fed ATF) and the dealer put the serial # in their books, the firearm is legally transfered to you as owner.  

CA DROS form does not require serial # or model number or name of the firearm.  It just need to know if it is a long gun or pistol, and who is the person buying the firearm.  They do a back ground check to make sure you are ok to own.  Then the 10 day wait is for "cooling off".

So, once the DROS is done in the shop, the firearm should already be yours under ATF rule.

Then again we live in CA, where DOJ can makeup their own rules without worry about people standing up for their rights.  Because they are the 10-ton gorilla!

Get the DROS started before the 90-day registration period is announced !! You can read the DOJ Bulletin from 2000 for previous example where they instructed dealers to cancel DROS applications that were started after a 90-day registration window went into effect.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:33:08 PM EDT
[#3]
The proverbial little bird suggests that the list may be updated on or about January 12th.

My DROS will be started and finished, and the lowers in my possession, before that date.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:04:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The proverbial little bird suggests that the list may be updated on or about January 12th.

My DROS will be started and finished, and the lowers in my possession, before that date.

Congrats! I was on vacation and am getting started a little late on this thing. But I will prevail!I've got a bunch of stuff registered from the first bans. I am more worried about the younger guys getting theirs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top