Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2005 5:59:53 PM EDT
Do i still need a gun lock for a striped AR lower?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:07:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I am pretty sure that for any firearm, no mater how complete, if it isn't going straight home into a DOJ approved safe then it needs to be purchased with a lock.

Also, if I were you, I would be a bit more discrete about what I asking about in regards to what you asked about.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:09:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Do i still need a gun lock for a striped AR lower?

When I bought my Fab10 lower back in '02 it was stripped, and the people at the gunshop didn't make me buy/supply a lock or show proof of a gun safe. It's probably changed by now though.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:52:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a stripped Imbel (FAL type) receiver in 2003 and my dealer required a lock. I simply went down to Wally World and bought their cheap, CA approved, universal cable lock for about $5.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:23:24 PM EDT
[#4]

When I bought my Fab10 lower back in '02 it was stripped, and the people at the gunshop didn't make me buy/supply a lock or show proof of a gun safe. It's probably changed by now though.

Yeah ... same here too, but instead of a striped FAB10, i bought the whole complete rifle and i didn't hear anything from the FFL about i have to get a lock.  This was last year only. Than again, maybe it might changed.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Yeah ... same here too, but instead of a striped FAB10, i bought the whole complete rifle and i didn't hear anything from the FFL about i have to get a lock.  This was last year only. Than again, maybe it might changed.

It's been CA law since January 1, 2002

caag.state.ca.us/firearms/fsdcertlist.htm

Effective January 1, 2002, no firearm may be sold, transferred, or manufactured within California unless that firearm is accompanied by a DOJ-approved firearms safety device (California Penal Code section 12087, et seq).caag.state.ca.us/firearms/dwcl/12087.htm

The safety device requirement does not apply to the following:

* Persons who can demonstrate the purchase of a DOJ-approved safety device in the 30 days prior to taking possession of the firearm by presenting the device to the firearms dealer and providing the firearms dealer with a receipt showing the purchase date and model name of the device.
   * The commerce of any firearm defined as an "antique firearm" pursuant to federal law.
   * The commerce of any firearm intended to be used by a salaried, full-time peace officer for law enforcement purposes.
   * Transfers of firearms to persons who demonstrate ownership of a qualifying gun safe.  Ownership may be demonstrated by displaying to the firearms dealer: 1) A receipt indicating purchase of, or an affidavit, signed under penalty of perjury, stating that the purchaser owns a gun safe, and 2) An affidavit, signed under penalty of perjury, stating that the gun safe meets the standards set forth in DOJ regulations.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top