Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2005 8:58:30 PM EDT
Just a note.....my good friend was leaving his office in Redlands, and some dumbass beats him with a hammer, and tries to take his Mercedez CLK (Duffy.....careful out there)....the carjacker beats him a few times, and then took off, dropping the hammer, which my friend later threw at him, but missed.

Anyhow, being in Walnut, he calls me, and asks where's a good place to buy a gun, so we head out to Turners, and in 5 minutes, picks out a Remington 870 is OD Green (..and no, I didn't push the OD Green on him.... ).

After an attack, and seeing New Orleans disaster really opened the eyes of a lot of folks.......so 5 physicians within a week, including my friend,  are now new gun owners.

Hopefully I can bring him to the Burro Shoots......too bad he has to wait 10 days!  I go crazy if it takes more then 15 minutes to get my gun!

So it looks like GNMN is not the only new 870 owner!

BTW....Kali gun stores, remind me of So. Texas gun stores........so many damn bolt action rifles, and sporting shotguns.  

Story:

http://www2.redlandsdailyfacts.com/news/ci_3076947

Redlands assault suspect arrested in El Cajon carjacking
the Daily Facts

The primary suspect in a Redlands assault was arrested Thursday by police in El Cajon after he allegedly carjacked a delivery truck before crashing it minutes later on the freeway, according to police.

While in custody in El Cajon, Jason Christian Morreo, 33, of Banning, also stabbed a police officer in the neck and hand with the officer's ink pen, officials said. The officer was treated at the scene and is recovering at home, according to reports.

Morreo is suspected in the assault on a 42-year-old man in the parking lot of Redlands Chiropractic in the 600 block of Alabama Street.

The assault occurred about 6 p.m. Monday, Sept. 26, when the victim was confronted by a man who hit him in the head with a blunt instrument.

The assailant fled in a white Toyota Tacoma pickup truck with "All-n-One" printed on both sides of the vehicle. License plate number is 7S03686. The truck was driven by a second man, described as white, 6-foot, 2-inches tall, 190 to 200 pounds, slender build, 25 to 28 years old with blond hair. He was wearing a white tank top.

Redlands Police believe the assailant may have been attempting to steal the victim's vehicle. Fingerprints, later identified as Morreo's, were found on the vehicle.

Using the fingerprints, Redlands police had identified Morreo as a suspect before he was arrested by El Cajon

Advertisement

authorities, according to police spokesman Carl Baker. A witness to the Redlands assault was shown a photo line up of possible suspects and positively identified Morreo as assailant seen in Monday night assault, Baker said.

The truck used to flee the Redlands assault was determined to have been taken in a carjacking Monday morning in San Bernardino. It is registered to a building maintenance business based in Upland. Both the truck and the second suspect are still outstanding.

The assault victim was taken to a local hospital for treatment. The extent of his injuries is unknown.

Morreo, who is also wanted for a parole violation in Santa Cruz, is in custody in the San Diego County jail. Redlands police have arrested him on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon.

Anyone with information on the second suspect or the whereabouts of the missing truck is asked to contact Detective Todd McMeans at 798-7643 or the Redlands Police Department at 798-7681.midwaymedia.midwayusa.com/SR221D.pdf
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:02:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Figures that the criminals wound up in my neck of the woods, San Diego.  At least they went to El Cajon in the East County area.  Thankfully (for them), they didn't try carjacking me or any of a variety of my friends, many of whom have CCWs or are local cops, Feds or judges.  We had a carjacker shoot someone in the Gaslamp District and dump his body out in the street in front of horrified onlookers during a peak pedestrian time in this night life area a few years ago.  After that, I started locking my doors while driving downtown and putting my P220 in a more accessible place.  Sad that we have to make these changes in our lives because some idiots think they can get away committing crimes with impunity.

I'm not clear on how your friend having a standard 870 is going to help in a carjacking, unless it's a 14" barrel or less SBS or AOW.  I have an 870 Police folder in my trunk along with my other gear, but I wouldn't expect to try to get to it in a carjacking.  That's what my .45 is for.  You might consider suggesting to your friend that he get his CCW (a chiropractor should not have a difficult time getting one) and look into purchasing and training with a .45 or at least a .40 cal. sem-automatic pistol.  A handgun is a much more effective deterrent to a carjacking.

Just my honest opinion (an honest lawyer?).

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:15:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Would that still apply, as he works out in SB county, BUT lives in LA county?

If I remember correctly....unless you're connected politically, your SOL.

Plus.....the 870, he wanted that more for a post-Earthquake/New Orleans reminder of chaos, that ensued afterwards.......

I'll see if I can push him to get a TRP Operator.....

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:56:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry that your friend lives in LA.  You're right that getting a CCW in LA is very difficult.  Having some connection with the DA, CA, Chief, or Sheriff is one of the few ways it will happen.  Political activism has many facets and benefits.  He should also seek out other CCW holders in his same line of work, and find out how they managed to get permits.

I was fortunate, in that I held CCWs in several states prior to coming to CA, and formerly was an APO with NYPD, so my local Sheriff wasn't worried that I'd go out and do something stupid while armed, even though I had no connections with the Sheriffs Office to speak of.  Of course, having a local PD SWAT commander vouch for my character didn't hurt.

Having the 870 to deal with a civil disturbance makes good sense.  He should also acquire a good sling (I like the Specter MOUT single point sling), Tac-Star Side Saddle ammo carrier, cleaning kit, high visibility, non-binding magazine follower, and consider installing an Aimpoint M2 optical sight on a saddle rail or ghost ring or rifle sights for use with slugs.  A Surefire Weaponlight foreend is also advisable to assure target identification and let intruders know that something bad is about to happen to them if they stick around.

The TRP is a very nice pistol.  I hope he has a deep pocket, as they are quite expensive.  He should consider adding a CTC LaserGrip and a Surefire Weaponlight to round out the package (note that if he has the old-style CTC grips, the switch interferes with the monetary contact switch design on the Surefire pistol lights - a fact I recently discovered with my P220).  Don't let him forget that he also needs a quality holster (Safariland paddle holster) and gun belt (Blackhawk CQC carbon fibre dress belt).

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:45:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn, 600 block of Alabama Street in Redlands. That sounds like the general location of family's chiroprator. It's about a block or so from the shopping center with Mervyns, Ross, etc. Right? Probably not our guy, but hope nothing bad comes of it for him (especially since medical problems seem to always arise at the worst time even when you think you are fine).

There sure has been a LOT of crap happening in this area as of late. Fires, this crap, an oddly increasing rate of accidents (at least that I have seen), and it seems like every business deal my family gets into goes south due to theft, fraud, etc. Just goes to show everyone should own at least one gun and know how to use it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 11:17:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Mr. Suzuki, but the great state of CA has stripped me of the ability to lawfully defend myself.  In the event of a carjacking, if my life wasn't threatened and the bad guy is fleeing, even if I could legally carry I wouldn't not be able to shoot him, I'd get in a lot of trouble.
Fortunately I live in Malibu and work mostly in Beverly Hills and West LA, cars like mine are dime a dozen, there are nicer cars that are more juicy targets
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 1:02:19 PM EDT
[#6]
They should allow that carjacking deterrent I saw on tv once. The car has some kind of flamethrower at each side.

You can't get a CCW.
If you carry without a permit and shoot someone trying to steal your car and/or kill you, you're done.

Sad, very sad.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:49:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

If you carry without a permit and shoot someone trying to steal your car and/or kill you, you're done.

Sad, very sad.

Not necessarily true.  Carrying without a permit is a misdemeanor the first time, if the gun is properly registered to you, you aren't a felon or gang member, and you haven't committed any other crimes.  But it is entirely possible that you could shoot a carjacker, as long as you didn't go overboard, and get away with just the gun charge, which you could probably get dropped if you were able to make a big enough public stink over it.

Personally, if I had to go to a "bad neighborhood", I'd go ahead and pack, even without a CCW.  But A) I don't have any need to go to "bad areas", and B) I'm almost through the hiring process with the Sheriffs Department... getting popped for carrying without a permit would likely DQ me, and if I do get through, I won't need a CCW :)

Bottom line... it's better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:42:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thanks Mr. Suzuki, but the great state of CA has stripped me of the ability to lawfully defend myself.  In the event of a carjacking, if my life wasn't threatened and the bad guy is fleeing, even if I could legally carry I wouldn't not be able to shoot him, I'd get in a lot of trouble.
Fortunately I live in Malibu and work mostly in Beverly Hills and West LA, cars like mine are dime a dozen, there are nicer cars that are more juicy targets

if my life wasn't threatened and the bad guy is fleeing, with very few exceptions this is the case in most states  not just CA

Lin in one county and working in another?  Can't you try both (theoretically) all four? both Chiefs and both Sherrifs.  If you can, the SBDO Sheriff is supposed to be pretty good about it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top