Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2005 7:56:05 PM EDT
This is what i got from DOJ when i email them saying that if i have no bills under my name and this is what i can use as proof of residency.

Mr. Xiong:

Your parent may provide a signed & dated "rental agreement" by which the tenant
(you) agrees to pay a specified monetary sum or provide other consideration at
fixed intervals for the right to occupy an abode.  The monetary amount may be
any amount you choose, no matter how small or how large.  Provide this agreement
to the firearms dealer, when filling out the Dealer's Record of Sale.

For information regarding the above cited Penal Code sections,visit the
Department of Justice website; www.ag.ca.gov/firearms, via the Dangerous Weapons
Control Laws.  If you need further assistance, contact the Department of Justice
at (916) 263-4887.

Sincerely,
Kathy Quinn, Field Representative
Firearms Division
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:22:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I asked the guy at Turners the same thing and he said I can also just get a copy of a bill from my parents and have them write up a note that says I live with them and get it notarized.

He also phrased it in a mocking maner, like only losers who are 21+ live with their parents.

Needing a note from mommy made me feel like I was in school again (and I don't even live with them!). I just used my tax return.

ETA: Apparently C&R licenses don't qualify either.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:46:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I moved back in with the folks to go back to grad school and FFLs seem to have no problem with car registration.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:20:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I moved back in with the folks to go back to grad school and FFLs seem to have no problem with car registration.

+1 I always bring in my vehicle reg. I normally bring in 4 or 5 and tell them to take their pick. I had one guy go through my file at one store and say "OK we don't have this one yet....lets add another". All the BS you have to go through to get a handgun is frusterating.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:36:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Please say that all of you can also show your voter registration card..., please?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:34:57 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Please say that all of you can also show your voter registration card..., please?

it's worth a try...

ive used my car registration, cable bill, and home phone bill as "proofs of residency"
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:16:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Actually, no. Per the latest regulation bulletin any goverment (fed, state, local, etc) license or registration can be used for the purpose of proof of residency... " that has a specified expiration date or period of validity. The license, permit, or registration must bear the individual's name and either of the following:
A. The individual's current residential address as declared on the Dealer's Record of Sale (DROS) form.
B. The individual's address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or
California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto.
2. A valid peace officer credential issued by a California law enforcement agency to an
active, reserve, or retired peace officer.
Note
Authority cited: Section 12071, Penal Code. Reference: Sections 12071 and 12072, Penal Code.
History
1. New chapter 13.8 (section 996) and section filed 3-15-2005; operative 4-14-2005 (Register 2005, No.
11)."

A voter registration card is valid for an UNspecified period.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:03:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I got a friend who doesn't have any records of bills etc. since he still lives with his mom(single parent w/young siblings) so he gathers up all his traffic violation's/citations and court papers to show that he's been living in the prk for most of his life.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:22:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Have the parents write a letter stating that the person is a resident at that address and list the full street address on the letter. Include all names of the persons, the homeowner should then sign it and get it notarized. I bought two pistols that way before I got a car registration.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh well. I hope they are all registered to vote, regardless.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top